• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

High Temperature Lifeforms

How bout one of Trader Jims Burrettos...It has been known to live in 300 degree ovens...Its Alive, Its Alive, Help Us, Help Us!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'd suggest looking at the "Inheritors" from the gurps/traveller Alien Races vol 3. They breathe an extremely corrosive mix of sulfur and chlorine compounds at very high temps. I forget how high 'cuz gurps still uses those backwards nonsensical American "farenheit" units. :rolleyes:

Very interesting race, though.

DGv3.0

You have to be careful how high temp you make your life forms if you want to stay realistic.

Proteins that make up tissues can lose their tertiary structure (the 3D shape that makes them work properly) at temperatures as low as 60*C. By 100*C there are few if any proteins that can function at all.

You gould build a critter with a thick insulating layer and some kind of micro network of of cooling capillaries or something like that...

Or, alternatively, base their body chemistry on multicellular evolution of bacteria which can survive high temperatures, examples of which can be found here

:confused: Huh? Distance to liquid water zone must be proportional to sqrt(L), which in the case of UV Ceti would be sqrt(0.00004) = 0.0063 au. That's less than 1Mkm! I know that the angle subtended by the sun in the planet's sky makes a difference, but an order of magnitude seems too much. After all, luminosity takes size into account.

Something is screwy with the data, perhaps. By size and temperature UV Ceti should be around 0.005 L compared to Sol, and transmission can't be as bad as 0.001!

Back