• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Highport animation

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mr TeK:
Why arn't you making more money than God herself in an animation shop somewhere?
They hired Scarecrow instead... </font>[/QUOTE]HA HA HA! I wish!

Crow

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by whartung:
I mean, it's ok, I would have centered the frame on the ship and let the Highport come in to frame that way. Having it cling to the side of the screen is just REALLY BAD compositionally.
Thanks for deflating my ego back to its usual size...

Normally that's how I'd have done it, but I thought I'd try a smoother movement this time. I also considered a BSG-style "shakeycam". I may change it.
</font>[/QUOTE]Actually I think the original composition is right, it gives a good sense of size. You might have brought the starport in a little higher on the frame or moved it up towards center but as it is, it has a sense of scale and the vastness of space. Throw a starfield in the background and you are set.

The 'disappearing starfield' seems to be a common problem with most rendering programs. I have often found that I have to render the background without Anti-Alaising to keep the stars bright. Not sure how you would do that with an animation though.

<edit>
Wow this is my 200th post. I sure wish I had a real life

Hi there,

Sorry, I'm using a projector for my monitor and I lose a little detail with thing of low contrast. That is the one downside of the projector. I can't give up the projector though as I am used to my 12' wide screen for games.

Stars and other fine details tend to get lost due to compression aswell.

Originally posted by Space Hamster:
...12' wide screen for games.
Sound of heavenly choir and blinding light.
Crow falls to his knees and worships at the altar of 12' TV screens...

Of course, in reality you wouldn't see the stars anyway...

12' projector screen? Suddenly the 40" TV I've just bought seems rather puny (although at least I can still see that if I turn the lights on...)

Originally posted by Space Hamster:
I can't give up the projector though as I am used to my 12' wide screen for games.
This reminds me - if you are in Seattle, make sure you check out the SciFi Museum.

Among the nifty things there is a cool rear-projected display which is framed as if it's a viewport at an orbital station. Ships from various SF series - from Star Destroyers to the Planet Express ship - drift past.

It's a video that loops every 4 minutes or so, so it doesn't hold your attention for very long, but it's still fun to watch.

Having a video like Andrew's as a loop would be pretty cool.

Making a screensaver has crossed my mind...

I've got a touch of the Plague of Duskir at the moment, so I've been working on this rather than the things I should be doing. It's now 25 seconds long and has music...

<JealousJealousJealousJealous.....>

:( wish *I* could do stuff like that <StropStropStropSulkSulkSulk...............>

It's gonna look sweet and I like that you've chosen Trilion (my baby). Did you ever notice that Trilion was a desert world? <picky picky pick pick>

Don't change a thing, I'll write the blue in somehow.

Originally posted by Border Reiver:
It's gonna look sweet and I like that you've chosen Trilion (my baby). Did you ever notice that Trilion was a desert world? <picky picky pick pick>

Don't change a thing, I'll write the blue in somehow.
Bollocks :-( It's blue on the map!

Back