• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Hiver Starship-long

Crow,

That might suit the K'kree even better as the entire interior could be moved through with engineering and auxillary systems rising from the floor or extending from a wall, depending on perspective. Plus every K'kree crewbeast could see the others, just like in the herd. The interior could be carpeted with plant-life just like home too.

BTW, the brief I got from SJG on the ships was "cube like, very utilitarian", and Andy Akins and I had to work off of that. IIRC, I had only a couple of weeks to build 8 or 10 ships. And I unfortunately had zero time to do individual texture maps for each ship, and instead had to settle for making one giant map and using sections of it for each ship type via cubic mapping.

FWIW,
Jesse

Originally posted by jdegraff:
IIRC, I had only a couple of weeks to build 8 or 10 ships. And I unfortunately had zero time to do individual texture maps ....
I swear to god! How can anybody be creative under those conditions? It's no wonder the Traveller universe is so visually dull.
That's a problem we don't get in video games, or indeed in the movies. There is a healthy period of pre-production alloted for visual design. You just don't get that in publishing. The art is always tacked on to the end, just before publishing, giving the artist no time at all to do anything worth while. I guess the artwork just isn't as valued as the text. :(

Crow

Originally posted by Scarecrow:
I guess the artwork just isn't as valued as the text. :(
And, that is something that appears to hold up a lot of works (like the GURPS: Vorkosigan supplement :( ). We need to make sure that doesn't happen with T5. There is so much good (nay - GREAT!) artwork from folks around here, there should be no excuse for any production being held up or it being inadequately illustrated.

How can anybody be creative under those conditions?
It ain't easy sometimes ;) That one doesn't beat the 3 days I had to build the cover of G:Vehicles Light.... :eek: Basically had 1 weekend to build a near photo-realistic LAV-25 AD. Ouchie.

In all fairness though, the couple of times that I HAVE gotten good lead time from them, Real Life(tm) has managed to screw up a good portion of it one way or another :(

I still keep doing it though

verystupid.gif

Jesse

Back