• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

How big is 500vl? [T20]

Oh, and I double check every bit of math I do on this site with Excel - just so I can blame Microsoft if I somehow get it wrong.
file_21.gif

Originally posted by Gnusam Netor:
Supermodels? sorry they where all eaten by the polarbears yesterday...
file_21.gif
file_21.gif
file_21.gif

ps. This posting thingy in the browser is playing tricks on me... is it my new work computer or Opera the browser? it's annoying anyway
You having trouble with Opera? :( I haven't had a lick of trouble with it on this site, and been using it since before I joined. Gotta blame it on your new computer.

Originally posted by Fritz88:
You having trouble with Opera? :( I haven't had a lick of trouble with it on this site, and been using it since before I joined. Gotta blame it on your new computer.
I have problems yes, studies of this have shown Gnusam to be the source of the problems.

I usually get my bigger posts through MS word before i post them via the Opera-the browser. The Word/Opera interface has a knack of converting various charachters (these 3: [" ' -]) to "?", hence Gnusams own attempt to correct his insecureties with the english language fooled him.

Should i go back to Firefox? Or resign and use the beast?

ps. this message was not approved by MS word2003

Hmmm. Don’t know why there would be a problem with those characters. :(
But, let’s just try it out: “, ‘, and -.

Seems to work for me (the above was copied and pasted from Word). Maybe your Word is not using the regular ASCII characters for those? (Though my Word2000 made them smart-quotes, it pasted into the "Quick Reply" box in Opera just fine.) What version Opera are you using? (Though I like Firefox, too - when I need the functionality to be more like MS's Super Highway Information Technology.
)

Ok ok ok, so 500vl. Battledress. Right. Well, a suit of 200vl battldress I consider only about the size of a person in full plate armor, so not much bigger. 300vl, that I always imagined to be like the Marine armor in Starcraft, maybe a bit bigger. 500vls would be just getting into the gray area between battledress and mechs. I think, as a Ref, I might require them to have BOTH Armor (Battledress) and Vehicle (Legged) feats to use it! Just to be a bastard.

I'd put 300 VL for the firebat. 200-250 for the normal marines. 150-200 Vl I'd place as approximately a bulky marine in combat armour.

The goliath I would estimate to be a 1400 - 2800 Vl light legged vehicle.

IMTU 500 Vl support battledress is used for recovery, repair, utility, and on occasion heavy weapons. Able to go more places then a light vehicle but too large to navigate human spaces. Compact and capable enough to take between worlds.

500 is certainly getting into that grey area. I draw the line at the same point that I consider them light vehicles (1400 Vl). Over that size and it is definitely a vehicle rather then battledress.

Hmmm. Don&# 8217;t know why there would be a problem with those characters. :(
But, let&# 8217;s just try it out: &# 8220;, &# 8216;, and -.

I hope you see those interesting codes up there where you tried the chars in question...
(i added a space between "&#" and the numbers, otherwise IE will interpret them - being a browser after all)

I use(d) opera-Version 7.02, now IE6
(i use ver 7 because i like the icy-blue on grey look)
furthermore: this was written without MSword2003 approval (!)

Opera f*cks up where other browsers do not appearently. It is a bit strange that opera is the one browser that doesn't know how to convert between different charsets/standards.

:eek: :( Don't know why that would be - they look fine in my Opera. (Edit: the numbers show up in your post - they look right elsewhere, though. end edit) Try upgrading to 8.5 (no ads now, even for the free version!), and see if it makes a difference (the colors should just be a matter of downloading the right skin). If you need more info, PM me.

OK, that's enough threadjacking. Back to your regularly scheduled gearheading! :D

*bump*
Originally posted by veltyen:

I'd put 300 VL for the firebat. 200-250 for the normal marines. 150-200 Vl I'd place as approximately a bulky marine in combat armour.
have nothing to add really...
what is a "firebat", some sort of combat-walker ? It seems big, is it size-wise like what Ripley used in Aliens?

OK, that's enough threadjacking. Back to your regularly scheduled gearheading! :D

Firebat's in starcraft are in much more heavily built up armor with heavy flamethrowers. You could look at the infantry in starcraft being either in combat armor for the normal marines and battledress for the firebats, or alternatively light and heavy battledress.

http://www.battle.net/scc/terran/ufire.shtml has a decent firebat picture.

file_21.gif

Starcraft firebats, how could I forget you my old adversary? (i'm an old Protoss...boss).

Anyway, I think that kind of armour is more like (assuming human = 10vl or 3cf!
and double or tripple that) 30vl, but maybe you thought of something bigger then that.

Vanilla TL13 battledress is 300 vl. It is what we're stuck with as a baseline.

1kg = 1vl for the standard translation. From this a marine with full kit would be getting towards 150vl already. Since vl is both mass and volume (where dTon is purely volume) there are going to be oddities like this.

Getting back to the original question then "10-15 foot tall mechanised powered armor/legged combat vehicle" there is no clear answer. Anything in the range 500-2800 vl should be fine. This just changes how many can fit on board transport ships anyway

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by veltyen:
1kg = 1vl for the standard translation.
Ahh… I’ll be quite quiet and quit now. </font>[/QUOTE]WTF!?!? what happened to my sig?

WTF!?!? what happened to my sig?
I bet you went to reply before logging in and used the login field that comes up with the reply window. When you do it that way it doesn't have your sig file loaded yet and so the reply won't have it displayed

Originally posted by far-trader:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gnusam Netor:
WTF!?!? what happened to my sig?
I bet you went to reply before logging in and used the login field that comes up with the reply window. When you do it that way it doesn't have your sig file loaded yet and so the reply won't have it displayed
</font>[/QUOTE]It as they say. Canadians, they know the stuff that matters ...
:D

(BTW, you're absolutly right)

Back