• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

How do you handle psi shilds?

How do you handle Psi shields

• Total voters
this prevents players from just slathering psi shielding on everything whilly nilly.
Oh no no no no ... this anti-psionic paint is GUARANTEED to block any psionics from getting through it! :cool:(y)

It does come in only one color though ... something supposedly called Ghost Grey ... whatever that means.
So, what'll you trade me for it?
{ expectant look }

Shielding also only works against stuff that has to penetrate it to work. Somebody that has telekinesis abilities and fires a 100 mph cinder block fastball at you using it, your psi shield whatever is no more useful than a T-shirt (unless it happens to be better armored). You take that hit if you can't dodge it, psi or no.

Shielding also only works against stuff that has to penetrate it to work. Somebody that has telekinesis abilities and fires a 100 mph cinder block fastball at you using it, your psi shield whatever is no more useful than a T-shirt (unless it happens to be better armored). You take that hit if you can't dodge it, psi or no.
Of course, but could you use tekinesis (or clairvoyence, or teleport into, for what's worth) into a shielded room from outside of it?

I just use the rules as presented under the assault skill but substitute the telepathic skill being used and use its strength in the contest.

Then how do you handle if a psion of PSR 12 tries to read superficial thoughts on a shielded mind with PSR 3?

And how if the shield is artificial?

(side note: I understand you mean PSR when you say strength, not STR)

Last edited:
Of course, but could you use tekinesis (or clairvoyence, or teleport into, for what's worth) into a shielded room from outside of it?
Telekinesis moves a physical object. The object can be moved just like normal but to penetrate a shielded room it has to penetrate the wall / barrier just as it always would. That wall, etc., is a physical barrier. Clairvoyance doesn't penetrate so that doesn't work on anything inside the room, or if you are in it, you can't 'see' beyond it. Teleport requires you have some idea of where you are going to end up. A psi barriered room or area comes back as a sort of void space / black hole so the teleporting person gets something like a terrified reaction trying to port into it and can't bring themselves to. If by ability and intel they are able to overcome that fear, they might be able to teleport in anyway (they overcome the barrier). Clairvoyance is the same way. If you can overcome the barrier, it fails and you can 'see' in despite it.

So, an example like someone wearing a psi helmet might be protected against things like clairvoyance and telepathy but it offers zero protection against telekinesis other than the physical strength of the helmet.

Can you use telekinesis to deactivate a psionic shield helmet? (Beyond just using it to throw a rock at the wearer's head...)

My thoughts concerning the effectiveness of the psi shield would depend upon two major factors: 1) how powerful is the initial psionic pulse versus how strong is the armour rating of the shield. The basic idea I was thinking of was a comparison of body armour versus the caliber / energy level of the round. There are several levels of body armour ratings that would increase their protective rating when you start tossing in tech levels. This could also allow for how comfortable the device would be to wear. This would also allow the temporary shielding of a room or even an entire ship, if there is enough power, however, it would probably be detectable to a newborn psi baby out to the orbit of Jupiter. So you have the means to do it, however, at what cost and at what level of noise level would you be operating. My three cents worth, (got to account for inflation.) however, your mileage will vary.

Keith

Can you use telekinesis to deactivate a psionic shield helmet? (Beyond just using it to throw a rock at the wearer's head...)
I'd say possibly. This would depend on the quality of the helmet. A cheap one, likely yes. A good quality one probably no. This would be a technology and ability check on the person using the telekinesis power. If they had better tech skills and a higher psi power, they're more likely to succeed. If they know squat about technology and have so-so psi powers they're likely to fail.
The person with the psi helmet better hope it's not the equivalent of a Rolex made in Mexico or they're in deep trouble...

This scenario would be equivalent to a ship having a shield against various weapons. If the psi helmet were meant to act as such, then it acts as such. The resolution comes down to how good is your equipment and own stats versus the SOB trying to kill you using their psi skills...

Ok, I have been following this, right now the question is what is the PSR of a PSI Shield helmet?

I would say shielding a space vs. Clairvoyance should be possible. (Shades of No-Ships and Lasguns).

Note, I changed my vote, in that I reread the CT rules, and I would add to them.

Ok, I answered my question, Psi Sheild Helmets a PSR of 15. Furthermore the article mentions shielded buildings and ships. JTas 09 pg. 30

Ok, I answered my question, Psi Sheild Helmets a PSR of 15. Furthermore the article mentions shielded buildings and ships. JTas 09 pg. 30

Where did you take this info from?

As I said in my former post, we used PSR=TL/2 for Psi Shield Helmets...

Note the article still only mentions protection against telepathy, not the other psionic disciplines.
I'd think you couldn't teleport into a shielded zone, or "see" into it, or reach into it to pick stuff up and throw it.

It wouldn't stop you from doing that if you were already inside, though. It's a wall, not a null-zone.

Note the article still only mentions protection against telepathy, not the other psionic disciplines.
Yes, but my second idea was a expansion, I.e. one could sheild a volume vs clairvoyance but I didn’t specify if it was the same as the psi helmet.

The article in Journal where they first writen up. Issue 9 page 30.

Thanks. See that this PSR of 15 is only against psionic assault (something curious, as AFAIK defender's PSR has no effect on psionic assault), while making totally impervious to other telepathic actions...

Thanks. See that this PSR of 15 is only against psionic assault (something curious, as AFAIK defender's PSR has no effect on psionic assault), while making totally impervious to other telepathic actions...
Yep, that’s the long and short of it.

Back