• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

(hypothetical) What would you ask Dave Nilsen?

In the 1248 setting, if I may be permitted to mention it, Strephon's Worlds held out. Strephon knew about the Omicron Superweapon project and had made some half-assed preparations to prevent the infection of his fleet. It helped a bit.

THus a small pocket around Usdiki survived more or less intact and became the basis for the Usdiki Trade Federation. Which one day decided to repeat history and change from trade federation to Imperium....

LKW said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Whisky was a great dog, despite her continual attempts to suck my essence (I recall she became mildly annoyed that I wouldn't let her). May she romp on in canine Elysium.
Loren--

Actually that was Halifax who tried to suck your essence. So it's only fair to warn you that your essence may still be at risk!

Wisky was the shyer of the two. But boy, was she an intelligent and attentive dog. After we moved to the Empire Street offices I had them with me, I must have been in working on the weekend. It was twilight, and we came out the door by the loading dock to go home. She flushed a rabbit and was in full extension chasing it, and was about a foot away from chomping on its tail, when I shouted, "Wisky!" She immediately ceased the pursuit and came right to me. Now THAT was a good dog.

Dave

Well I'm probably one of the lucky ones. I still run a TNE game regularly. One a PE campaign based in the Banners Sectors (People who know will know a lot of the background for this is on my website Unashamed plug
www.skaran.net

the other a homebrew universe using TNE and FF&S1.

Originally posted by David Freakin' Nilsen:
Actually that was Halifax who tried to suck your essence. So it's only fair to warn you that your essence may still be at risk!
Obviously my memory has played me false once again, and I switched memories. I thank you for the warning in re my essense. Gotta keep all that stuff for myself!

LKW--

Obviously my memory has played me false once again, and I switched memories. I thank you for the warning in re my essense. Gotta keep all that stuff for myself!
No, don't worry about that. Most people besides me couldn't tell Halifax and Wisconsin apart, kind of like with twins and their parents. The same way most people can't tell Halifax, Saratoga, and Constellation apart today.

I'm just glad you have memories of them at all. That's a nice thing to still share after all this time.

Dave

I think FF&S is pretty much the best sci-fi RPG resource ever published. It's so damn useful - not just for Traveller but for ANY scifi campaign - and pretty educational too (before that it had never crossed my mind that lasers would need to be focussed to be effective at range.

OK, I did basically rewrite it for the tech in my own scifi universe, but I couldn't have done that without using FF&S as a base.

So I gotta thank Dave and GDW for publishing that... ;)

"I think FF&S is pretty much the best sci-fi RPG resource ever published. It's so damn useful - not just for Traveller but for ANY scifi campaign - and pretty educational too"

Agreed 100%. A wonderful book.

That's from the Mister Big candy bars! I know to a Canadian that probably sounds stupid, but the only time I ever saw them was on my (properly, "our," you can't have one alone) honeymoon. I loved those things. Eventually talked some store into selling me a box of 36 or 40. I made them last a year after returning to the lower 48.
Dave, if you email me offline at tomb at stargrunt dot ca (http://www.stargrunt.ca is the web aspect), you can let me know your mailing address (ideally not a postal box). If it is possible for me to acquire a case of these and ship them, I wil l do so (gratis). Call it my Xmas gift for braving the fires these many years later and for sharing so much of the human aspect of things with us.

I think I recall the French for it was, "mon nom en dit grand," which wasn't as punchy.
Languages are funny (I saw comments about the Trepida that made me laugh). I have a French Canadian friend and I was giving him some money to spend on games and other enjoyments. My franglais is so-so... but I'm out of practice with the french lexicon, so I needed translation assistance and went to an online machine translator. I said something like 'for games or other enjoyments' (or maybe I sead pleasures) and it came back as 'pour les jeux ou les jouissances'.

As it turns out, jouissassance is indeed 'enjoyments', but there is a distinct sexual connotation. JP just about laughed his ass off. He told his wife that I'd just given him a bunch of money for orgasms....

Ah, la belle langue........

I'm glad you liked Brilliant Lances. I pushed to get that out ASAP after the basic rules to help solidify a better sense of how space combat fit into the storytelling. There was a little too much "suddenly a ship appears from behind a nearby moon" in MT adventures.
Let's not get the 'Piracy/No Piracy' types warmed up... ;)

Seriously, I liked two aspects of it: 1, fire director based engagements and 2, ship shape determining damage when it was struck. My own pet project has been trying to meld those mechanics back into MT ship combat... I prefer the MT skill system and how it lets characters of that system interface to combat, but I wanted to get those aspects plus the whole board game aspect (and vector, if I recall correctly) over into MT. BUT, as you can imagine, rules system incompatibilities make this a challenge. I've been trying to relate computer size to the number of MFDs, but this is a poor approach in many ways. <sigh>

I never liked the 'House Engine' (I found T2K had some issues with rules - shooting you in the head with a pistol almost never killed anyone.... T2K V2 was better, but I'm not a big D10 fan, and allegedly T2K V2.2 is awesome, but I've never actually *seen* it - hard to find) much. Traveller is a D6 game to me. Yes, I realize the limits of this wimpy-bell-curve dice method.... D20 or D100 or D10 offered more advantages. But sometimes you associate a game with the 'flavour' of your first encounter, and 2D6 for an 8 (or 7 in MT) was just so familiar.

I've run so many games of MT with nothing but one page of small arms/HTH weapons charts, a sector map, and the MT task system (assign a difficulty from a standard list, determine assets, roll...).

Still, Brilliant Lances was an excellent stand alone. I just wish I could get a workable MT'd version done. Of course, I couldn't ever share it with anyone due to IP rights, but at least my group could use the bastard offspring... ;)

I'm happy to hear that you've gained a better appreciation of what we were trying to do with TNE. "Purifying fire" is a term that rings true with me, not from a game mechanics, publication standpoint, but the way a character in the game might face that environment, face the challenges, and move forward.
I can see that. I used to love post apocalyptic games ('what if' excercises that you could almost base off your real life) - Aftermath, Gamma World (a bit too fantasy for me), Morrow Project, T2K, etc. But what eventually turned me off of them was this: You are in this black time, where all about you things have fallen. You may be the candle against the darkness. But the darkness is very strong. And even if you don't get snuffed, you'll still only cast a dim light locally. And you still *remember* when there was a larger light. That sort of tragic sense of loss infuses all of these games for me now... starting from nothing and building is one thing.... but rebuilding when you have fallen so far, when you languish amidst the ruins of your former achievements, knowing you've wrought so much ruin.... that's just a sense of despair that makes me a bit sad. It speaks to why I am a software engineer now - trying to build a way to a better future and prevent the kind of post apocalyptic world that I trained for when I was in the infantry at the tail end of the Cold War.

I think you make a valid point about the value of designers taking the time to share more of themselves with the players in the interest of understanding. I know that Frank used to want to do stuff like that, even make videos of us screwing around at the office to distribute somehow. I think a lot of that foundered under the constant pressure of time, but that's too bad. Probably kind of like the father who is so busy with his job that he misses his kids growing up or something. Take the time to smell the roses: it's not only good for you, but for those around you.
Very natural to get lost in the extingencies of the moment. But yet, when we are on our deathbed, do we think "Gee, I wish I'd worked more overtime!"? Rarely. I had the 'experience' of going down with the ship - a small MMORPG company that a friend ran was my employer. We fought very hard, worked very hard, and ruined several marriages, etc. as a result... (I was single, thank god, so I didn't have a marriage to kill...) ... and we still ended up in a heap. Factors beyond our control (legal ones on a client's side about IP and uncertain ownership causing one of our major project initiatives to fail, financial ones like a competitor getting bankrolled from a standing start with $70M US where we probably operated on $1M Cdn a year) brought us low... and it was a slow painful crash. I loved the work, know we did some very good work, but the cost makes me wonder what it was all about... and why we didn't worry more about our lives and less about 'this thing we called a company'.

Anyway, it makes me *really* sympathize with you and with Loren - having heard both your your stories, I find myself identifying with all too many of the personal challenges and sacrifices for a beloved corporation/game/idea.

I think it is an odd nobility of spirit that lets people strive so mightily and at such cost for things they believe in. It is just a pity that reality many times shows us the cost....

I don't think your view of the Ithklur as Gurkhas is unique, as at least I had that as well, and think I might have placed an allusion to that in there somewhere. There is one Gurkha quote that I loved that I really wanted to turn into an Ithklur moment, but don't think I got around to. It goes something like there's this Gurkha who is terribly wounded, but he is holding the body of one of his British officers in his arms, and as the observer comes closer, he notices that the Gurkha is murmuring something over and over to himself, which turns out to be, "I am a Gurkha, I will not cry out. I am a Gurkha, I will not cry out. I am a Gurkha...."
A lady I roomed with, her husband had been the bodygaurd (a Brit officer) for King Farouk of Egypt(?). He also had worked with Gurkhas and had many interesting stories to tell about their sense of humour and their deadliness. Military must be in the blood - the son was an SAS Sgt.

I also remember a friend who went to CFSAC (Canadian Forces Small Arms Competition) and shot some shoots that are qualifiers (or something like that) for the Bisley shoot for a Queen's Medal. They shot against a variety of units, one Gurkha. They had a run down (fire at 300, run down to 200, fire again). He was on the sidelines - he time a Gurkha from prone stop-firing to prone firing 100m in combat boots at under 11 seconds. During the 2km cross country (18 min time limit) training run excercise (with ruck and weapon and SAW, whole squad had to finish), the Gurkhas finished in 14 mins and came in *LAUGHING* and not even out of breath. At the post competition part, they were doing standing backflips.

My Grandad (16th Brit HLI WWI) fought beside Gurkhas. They used to go out at night into no-man's land often leaving behind their rifles. Some of them collected ears. Eventually they got rotated out of the sector because the local officers couldn't stand the smell and they wouldn't stop wearing the strings of ears. (I don't know if they did it just to establish their fierce rep or because they knew it torqued off the Brit officers... very Ithklur).

Anyway:

Gurkha Joke

Yes, without really knowing what that avenue would be, and knowing that you've read my concerns about time/doing things right, etc., I would like to do that. I have been trading some mail with MJD, and it looks like we will try to see what we can do.
Count me in as a shopper. I don't know what you're making, but I'll sign up now.

Thanks very much for your considerate and supportive message. I suppose I might come off a bit of a wiener for saying this, but it is nice to come back from the wilderness to the sort of welcome that you and others have provided.

And thanks for divulging your real name, Thomas. I take that as an honor.
The honour (note the 'u' - grin) is mine. Besides, it either means I like you or I'm about to challenge you to a duel... (where'd I put that 4mm gauss pistol?...)

Thanks again Dave. I hope one day I happen to be at a Con of some sort and get to buy you a beer or a fine single malt.

Thomas B.

Wil/Aramis--

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Well, y'see, I've been asking the same questions since the release of H&I and RSB... I was on the TML at the release of the latter of the two... and had to wait 10 years to get an answer.

It doesn't help when posts are made "in loco signator" if replies and queries are not passed back to the signator referenced.

I'm very glad to have answers... I could never have seen the logic of the Democratization of the Regency... there were not enough bits in it to make it make sense. Now I understand it... disagree wholeheartedly, still, but I can see now where it came from.
Even if you disagree, and even if it's been 10 years, for whatever reason, I hope that it makes a difference that after this time someone cared enough to answer.

Dave
</font>[/QUOTE]Yes, it does. I've been waiting 10 years for 3 paragraphs of answer, and find out now that you never got the questions...

so its not your fault.

Absolvum absolutatum te.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
I think FF&S is pretty much the best sci-fi RPG resource ever published.
I wouldn't go that far. I was, and am, very impressed by it, but it has a small problem from my point of view: I have never, ever, completed designing anything with it.

It's just too complicated for my purposes. Granted, I might be able to use it if it was supported by a bunch of nice, easy to use spreadsheets, and a whole stack of predesigned components (say, guns for tanks), but as it was, it was just too much of a hassle.

T4 ("Marc Miller's Traveller"), attempted to fix this problem by creating modular starship design systems based on a revised version of FF&S, but, of course this failed dramatically, thanks to the buttheads from Imperium Games.

It was a nice idea, though.

Hmm. I remember looking forward to Armor 21, with an eye towards lifting lots of neato TL 8/9 vehicles. I was already using the T2K vehicle guides for a similar purpose.

Oh yeah, Imperium Games... I don't know why people get so worked up about TNE's supposed flaws when we have Imperium Games to complain about...

Read the whole thread. Whew.

I'm glad to hear that Dave and Martin might get together. It would be nice to rehabilitate some of the old guard. I mean, as much as Mr. Sanger may be consigned to special infernal regions, some of the DGP folks too were really good people, and of course so too is Marc. For me, when I think of DGP, I think of the art in the Traveller's Digest of the time... the covers were rather amazing, and the technical drawings in Starship Operator's Manual were excellent as well. And some of the nugget layouts were fantastic too.

In listening to the discussion about Dave Nilsen's writing style, I'm struck by a couple of things:

People talk about CT as concretist. Hmmmm. Dave alludes to things Marc left ambiguous or nuanced. I see many more of them, mostly from TNS entries. I mean, most of the time you got a TNS, you got a glimmer of the story, but no detail. If it had a military context, a lot of time you got 'No really, there is no story here. None at all. Carry on with the days training.' which is enough to setoff anyone's "BS" detector - making you wonder what was the REAL story.

Then you have the Alien modules.... are the Zhos stinking Orwellian Mind Benders, or people who are thoughtful and actually trying to live harmoniously but in a way we just don't quite think of as normal? Are they actually *smarter* than we are to want to help their deviants be more self actualized? Or are they Huxley's greatest fear? And the Solomani - are they raving racist b*st*rds or are they the true Human heritage, a heritage of pride, industry, and achievement? I think the CT world was *full* of nuanced views. The answer to most of these is not "IT WAS A" or "IT WAS B" rather "It was a little from column A, a little from column B, and a little of the admixture of A and B".

I think when I look at MT, I would call the writing style sort of high level and not very personal (Dave's had a more personal style in that he delved more into the characters). But I don't think MT was lacking in nuanced and multi-faceted truths. I mean, was Strephon a clone? Did Norris do some shenanigans with the Warrant? What really happened with Varian and Lucan? Was Margaret a slave owner? etc.

Here's how I differentiate the eras:

CT: Big Imperium. Static. Backdrop for games, not something to be actively influenced. Lots of small tidbits (via TNS and library data) about mysteries and oddities. The details are left to the local GM to flesh out. It seem concretist, until you look under the hood. It has just as many mysteries and potential alternate views, you just need to do some looking.

MT: Smashed Imperium. Changing. Not just a backdrop, but a part of the games designed to be influenced at least a bit by player missions and choices if they involve themselves with a faction. Full of nuanced views of who is right and wrong. Full of a lot of people caught in the middle. Written in a high-level style, but again with plenty of mysteries to explore.

TNE: Fragments rebuilding. Changing. Not just a backdrop, but a place where players can have large impacts on the fates of systems and perhaps even an entire polity. Full of nuanced views of history, but presented in a first-person style with a very immediate sense. Mysteries are presented by individual perspectives, rather than oblique hints or cold characterizations which leave unaswered questions.

TNE differed from MT and CT in the sort of personalization of the factionalism and of the alternative truths. CT and MT had them, they just lived as divorced entities you could ignore or you could delve into, like peeling the proverbial onion. TNE put them right there in front of you for you to see and it was harder to just look past them. And you maybe didn't have the same sense of an overview because of that style, but at the same time, the overview was there.

In MT and CT, you can miss the trees for the forest because you see the forest from so high up. The trees are all there and different, but you had to look and read between the lines. In TNE, you might miss the forest for the trees, because you see the trees individually. The forest is still there, but you have to look for the common strand a little more carefully.

On H&I, I found the 'designers notes' really annoyed me at the time. Oddly, the presentation in this forum of the same perspective in different words smacks very differently and much more sympathetically. I'm not sure if it is word choice, the years between or the changes to my own person that have happened in that interval. But however it comes about, I understand what Dave was trying to say now about 'Humans in Funny Suits'. But I really can see why other players of the time felt it as a jab at the other Alien modules, which I thought so highly of as well. It wasn't, but it may have seemed that way. New Gaurd taking a poke at Old Gaurd. On the outside, we players probably wouldn't have known about any of the interpersonal politics, so we may have assumed the worst too.

I have to say one last thing, even though I never shut up:

Please, Dave, take it easy. You've paid a lot for the beloved effort before, we don't want you to do so again. Maybe a lot of us are older now too and not so impatient as we were a decade ago, maybe we all understand the human side being a few more years under the bridge ourselves, but I think no one here wants you to push yourself back into this at cost to your life outside. I think the community will welcome you back, will make a place for you, and will let you offer what you want or feel compelled to on your own time. I'm glad to see the raprochement and perhaps some of us can help to make up for some of the abuse you've taken in the past. Even though I'm not likely to become a TNE convert, and may disagree with some particular choices, I can separate the choices made in a game from the intent and passion of the author and from the man himself. And even in disagreement, I would hope to be civil to the man and respectful of his efforts.

It is good to see you back, and I was very happy to see posts from Joe Fugate, Loren and to occasionally here a peep from Marc.

Whether we carp on each individually about some little pedantic thing we don't like (Dear God, Piracy? or How Could You Break The Empire? or Virus!?! or The UWP Of Xanadu Is Broken! or You Don't Have A Fully Scientifically Accurate Climatological Simulation In Your Game!.....), the one thing you have built (along with Hunter and MJD and all the others) is a community of like minded people with a shared passion.

You've also built a legacy of work which has given many of us a pleasant (and sometimes apoplectic) hour thinking about, discussing, tinkering with, and generally enriched our experience.

The whole lot of you are owed one darn big round of drinks by the fan base. Full Stop.

So, do what you have to at work (you're not the only one who has bogged off some time for this thread!), do what you should do for your own life, and we'll be happy to hear from you when and if you can spare the time.

It is no duty on your part - it is a gift for all of us and like Christmas (no, don't go all canonically religious on me anyone!), we can wait a wee while longer to open the presents. The suspense will do us good. The imagination and the creation in our minds roiling away as we wait should be something treasured....

Tom B
Merry Ho Ho!

PS - The comment about a 'Kafer Moment' made me chuckle. Maybe you just need somebody at work to start firing paperclips with a rubber band at you - the threat might sharpen you up into a lean, mean machine!

Dave, someone asked why the change in tech, but wasn't specific in details. I have a few details I would like to get some answers on.

1a) Gravitics. In MT the TL 12 gravmodules got a minimum volume of 3 liters. In FF&S the minimum is 30 liters. Why this change. It makes gravbelts far more bulky than what we knew them from CT/MT

1b) In MT Why was grav vehicles changed so that they needed a secondary thrust unit to be able to move? Was this a part of the removal of T-plates and redefinement of gravitics so you only could cancel most of the gravity vector from the planet?

2) Nuclear damper. In MT nuclear damers was defined as a permanent field like the meson screen. Why the change? I liked the posibility to produce ND turrets, but I never found it logical that it should have a ROF like lasers. I see it more as a projected field that needs to bath the nuclear warhead over time to be effective.

More to come when I find more spesifics.

Originally posted by alanb:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Malenfant:
I think FF&S is pretty much the best sci-fi RPG resource ever published.
I wouldn't go that far. I was, and am, very impressed by it, but it has a small problem from my point of view: I have never, ever, completed designing anything with it.
</font>[/QUOTE]We were able to finish quite a lot of things. Even on paper as long as you were neat about what you put where, and could follow the changes, and left a lot of space, it was the first iteration that took the longest. Then you could tweak things without too much trouble.

I loaned it to a couple of the guys in the group, and they went out to buy their own copies. For a while we were happily making vehicles, ships, a bunch of stuff. Mark, inspired by the 'crunch gun' in the equipment guide [the sniper rifle used by Guild-supplied forces to inflict casualties on the RC troops], went out and designed the "Munch Gun" as a prototype. I don't remember the exact details, but he wanted some godawful damage rating so he picked the minimum muzzle energy that would get that, 1 over a cutoff point, something like 20,001 joules. Then he built the gun around that. It had an 11- or 12-kg battery and only five shots, but it certainly did the job.

The only thing that we found it fell down on was WW-2 era vehicles. We were going to do some WW2-like stuff, unit actions on some TED world, so we got some books out on the Soviet T-33 tanks. We found data like armour thickness, dimensions, that sort of thing. Where the real-world tank was around 30 tons, the FF&S version was over 200. And since maintenance needs was based on vehicle weight, those Teddies would have been paying through the nose for parts.

Originally posted by alanb:
Oh yeah, Imperium Games... I don't know why people get so worked up about TNE's supposed flaws when we have Imperium Games to complain about...
My main complaint with them was they declined to hire me (except for part of one project). I consider this the main reason for their failure

Originally posted by Jon Crocker:

The only thing that we found it fell down on was WW-2 era vehicles. We were going to do some WW2-like stuff, unit actions on some TED world, so we got some books out on the Soviet T-33 tanks. We found data like armour thickness, dimensions, that sort of thing. Where the real-world tank was around 30 tons, the FF&S version was over 200. And since maintenance needs was based on vehicle weight, those Teddies would have been paying through the nose for parts.
For game purposes I don't find this as a major hazzle when the rule system inherintly consistent. For instance, I love playing Battletech, but the weapons there are rotten in RL terms to say the least. Larger the Autocanon shorter the effective range and so on. Even a WWII tank would chew a Battletech mech to pieces after a few shots.

Originally posted by LKW:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by alanb:
My main complaint with them was they declined to hire me (except for part of one project). I consider this the main reason for their failure
</font>[/QUOTE]I can buy that. Shame on them.

Yes, despite having probably more bugs than all other Traveller products put together, FFS1 is my favorite book, and was used so extensively it came apart. With a little forethought, you could have reasonable items, and with the most minor of changes you could still have things that were fairly well consistent within the system.

For instance, design a 20mm rifle and a 2cm gun. Should be about the same, but they are wildly different. I never could quite convert large scale damage to small scale damage in a reliable way either. I've worked off and on on fixing what I consider to be the most blatant errors, but alas, even this reduced job is more than I can handle, so it gives me a greater appreciation of the work that went into making it in the first place.

My latest attempt has been simply to scan in and OCR the book and every known official correction or addition, then once that's done, to correct any further errors and finally to incorporate the good parts from FFS2, the parts that would expand functionality, and all while keeping it as readable as it was in FFS1. So far, it's a lot of work to fix what the OCR screws up. One day, I will be done, and then look for the owners to see about getting it distributed.

More bugs than all of the Traveller products? Have you SEEN MT (lol Shattered Ships of the Fighting Imperium is much worse... and it never got a Mk I , Mod I
). Or anything by IG?

Nice goal, though.

Back