• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

(hypothetical) What would you ask Dave Nilsen?

Originally posted by Elliot:
What exactly is the problem in terms of game physics with a jump torp?
Well, ...

Actually, since this is OT, I won't answer here. Ask elsewhere and I can tell you. ;)

Several versions of Traveller have stated that the minimum size of hull needed to make jump travel possible is 100t. Some handwave about minimum size for a jump bubble and the like.
CT 1st edition had jump torpedos, TNE allowed for jump capable small craft - the rest has to go in the 1248 forum or the Moot ;)

Mr Neilsen,

I was wondering if this wave had anything to do with Grandfather. It seems like something one of his kids would dream up, he would stop the FTL transmission of, and promptly forget because the wave was moving at the speed of light.

One more question...for Mr. Nilsen...when you get back to actively answering questions? -

Wait - did the Dave Nilsen who's answering here help wi' GT:Aliens 3?

And why did Dave Nilsen be born Dave Nilsen, and how come he stayed Dave Nilsen when he grew up?
file_23.gif
;)
file_23.gif
;)

Originally posted by Laird Dun'Afton:
Mr Neilsen,

I was wondering if this wave had anything to do with Grandfather. It seems like something one of his kids would dream up, he would stop the FTL transmission of, and promptly forget because the wave was moving at the speed of light.
I hate to do this to you, but you need to start digging through this thread. Dave completely answered what he had intended for the Empress Wave (subject to the admission things could have changed by the time it was finally written up).

Originally posted by Jame:

Wait - did the Dave Nilsen who's answering here help wi' GT:Aliens 3?
Yes, this Dave Nilsen is the one who contributed to the Hiver section of GT:A3. Again, dig through this thread, and you can see what he said about it.

OK Has this one been asked before? What is Jump fueal actually used for i have included a posting from another forum.

posted June 04, 2005 09:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well using FF&S black globe calcs for a 50000 ton ship with a jump of 3 to generate the 280000 MJ to fill the capaciters would take 9800 cubic meters of HPG which then makes the primary factor of how much MJ from the power plant to you want to devote to recharge and how soon you want the recharge to take place. Which would mean that while civilian ships would not want to devote a lot in order to keep more economical poer plants, Miltary ships would want to devote more.

Now if the 'fuel' is used to generate the power than this theory is blown out of the water and ships need to moderate their bunkerage in order to be able to escape from combat.

If it is an insulator to maintian the bubble than you would only need to replenish if you used the the insulator for other purposes.

If the fuel is actually a coolant than why do you have to replenish after each jump. Simple physics states that as the liquid gets hotter than it turns to a gas which can be explained by having to vent the 'fuel' because a gas occupies more volume than a liquid. But if you cycle the gas an expose to the absolute 0 of space it will cool back down into a liquid fairly quickly so long as you pump the gas outside of the ship and back into it's tanks. Now while you might have some loss in order to keep from blowing out the pipes and filling the ship with a fammable (liquid H or OX) of something that could actually be poisonous, the loss would not be much and again would have to be replenished periodically. This would also explain reduced requirements for higher TL jump drives due to more advanced heat exchangers.

I have also looked at MT explanation and FF&S and have also discovered that FF&S actually requires more fuel than MT up to TL16. MT also states that a JD is comprised of a latice and a High capacity Power PLant but MT does not include rules for HPGs.

Now if a JD is an HPG that is fed by the power plant and sends the nessecary power in a single pulse to the JD to energize the grid, than the 'fuel' requirement would simply be enough to cool the HPG at the moment of discharge which if we are using Liquid H should not be the much.

Any holes in my logic.

Dave,

It is probably a little late for this, since it has been a while since you have been able to answer questions, but I want to add my voice to the chorus of those who appreciate your work on TNE.

As an old-timer (39) I played Traveller back in the CT days with some other young people. As young people seem to do, these short campaigns invariably descended into an abyss of shoot-‘em-ups, theft and other excesses of moral turpitude not worth mentioning.

I realize now that this was because we were kids, and had little guidance on how to run a proper campaign, but those early memories stuck with me as I grew older.

I ran TNE during its heyday ten years ago. For me it was a revelation, Traveller in a form that did not seem to me wandering around on faceless planets defined only by UWP code, interspersed with occasional fire fights. Instead, here was SF that seemed to deal with ideas and emotions as much as it did with technology.

As I have gotten older, I can now see that I was projecting some of my own inadequacies on to Classic Traveller. Improvisation from a UWP code and my own experience seemed like an impossibility then, where it seems more like a challenge to me now. But I credit you and the others at GDW for opening my eyes, and pulling it all together for me.

I look forward to you own contributions to Traveller in the future, and to TNE: 1248 with baited breath. Thank you so very much.

Again, where is Dave? He answered an awful lot of questions (and took his share of heat, like a true gentleman) then disappeared from the radar screen just after New Year.

I wonder if it is time to contact some of the other Ancients - Frank Chadwick to explain some insides of MT, Loren for the workings of parallel TU (GT), Lester Smith for T4?

Dave's been up to his neck in his job . . .

I talked to him a few weeks ago, and he's afraid to start because he knows he would be unable to resist spending days on end talking here, and he just can't afford to do that right now.

LKW

Still waiting for Dave to come back...

Why do I have visions of Arthur C. Clarke's unwritten manuscript floating around. Come on Dave come back there are questions that need answered...

As someone who has similarly been sucked under by work, I can certainly understand why we haven't seen Dave recently.

The seconds and minutes crawl by, each being noticed. The hours and days vanish too quickly, however, and the weeks and years flash by, oft unnoticed.

Originally posted by kafka47:
Come on Dave come back there are questions that need answered...
Maybe. But the questions he did answer will far outweight all questions he might yet answer. Even if he never gets the chance to answer another Traveller question, I will always be grateful for the ones he did answer.

Originally posted by kafka47:
Still waiting for Dave to come back...

Come on Dave come back there are questions that need answered...
Make a list, I'll try to get it to him . . .

Loren, I'll chip in with not a question for Dave, but a message:

"Thanks for all the time, effort and creativity that you and your co-workers poured into TNE. Your work was engrossing, intelligent and most of all, very entertaining.

Even now, a decade after I find my TNE books are those I most frequently return to.

Thank you, and best wishes"

Starviking

Back