• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

I recommend Star Trek: Vanguard

I think she's a damn good looking ship that fits TOS era.

Here's a couple more views:

model_Copernicus_secondary_1.jpg

model_Copernicus_secondary_2.jpg

The running-through look is kinda cool, but the aero engineer in me is screaming. :D

What does the engineer in you say about the Reliant, from TWoK?

I mean, was there no other way to mount the photon torpedo launcher?

And, how does the crew get to the launcher bay? Use the transporter (during combat with energy spikes)? Tiny stairwell accessways? It's totally automated?

reliant.jpg

What does the engineer in you say about the Reliant, from TWoK?

I mean, was there no other way to mount the photon torpedo launcher?

And, how does the crew get to the launcher bay? Use the transporter (during combat with energy spikes)? Tiny stairwell accessways? It's totally automated?

Don't get me started on the ships from the motion pictures... :D
Dang worthless Klingon-built warp drives. Don't they have rules about who gets a military contract? ;)
I'm guessing the Reliant puts their short timers in the boom. Saves the Federation countless credits on mustering out benefits.

I think the Mirandas are cool-looking ships, don't get me wrong. As to bits of the ships, I mean the pieces from the original series ships. The phaser comment was just an observation on the shape of the secondary hull. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Whether it's CGI or models, no matter.

I still don't see an advantage in running the pylons through a hull, besides the look. Practically, however, I can only see problems with doing it that way. Better to just attach warp drive pylons to the saucer than to run through it. Or miss it entirely if you have to go to the secondary hull. If things are going to shake, distort, or whatever you don't want to be feeding them through another structure like that. If it's not one continuous structure, why put such a big stress point by attaching to both sides of the saucer like that? Better to make a separate secondary hull attachment.

couple of things about the Larson: the Saladin of the SFTM appears on a monitor in STTMP, and names from the list in the SFTM are used in the radio chatter in same; the larson is FASA-Trek.

I also detest double-strut-to-single-nacelle.

So is the Loknar.

Yes, but it doesn't rub me nearly as wrong, and doesn't have a soft nor hard canon parallel to supplant it. (I consider the SFTM ships soft-canon, since they appear only on displays, and their names and NCC numbers are used in background chatter. Hard canon would be showing them onscreen.)

Generally, I dislike the FASA-esque flat-extensions to the saucers, too. It doesn't feel right.

Now, the Miranda version with the Ent. Secondary hull upside down doesn't work well for me, either... since it's too OBVIOUSLY just a kitbash.

Last edited:
Now, the Miranda version with the Ent. Secondary hull upside down doesn't work well for me, either... since it's too OBVIOUSLY just a kitbash.

It only looks like that from the side. The shape of the sensor/deflector pod is much more square and doesn't resemble the Constitituion class secondary hull except from the side. Take a look at the first picture I posted of her.

Here's an not-seen-often design of a Starfleet vessel from TOS era.

This is the USS Antares. A cargo vessel. Some vessles, in a sub-class, are a bit shorter and are totally robotic. Pictured here is the crewed version (20, or so, crew members).

antares1.jpg

antares_left.jpg

antares_top.jpg

320x240.jpg

Now, that Antares does work for me... kind of... but I guess it's canon now, eh?

Now, that Antares does work for me... kind of... but I guess it's canon now, eh?

Yep. What's interesting is that the design first saw life in the Animated Series. There's an article on the net that discusses how the ship's designer took that vessel, from TAS, and slapped a pod on the front for the crew (as TAS vessel was robotic).

tas.jpg

The Antares appears in the remastered version of Charlie X. One thing I like about that episode is that the crew of the Antares are still wearing the old uniforms (re: the uniform switch mentioned at least three times in Vanguard's first book, Harbinger) while Kirk and crew have the new ones.

In Harbinger, it was the Enterprise crew still in the old uniforms, and actually updateing them, on their first stop at Vanguard.

In Charlie X, the old cargo vessel's crew haven't got the uniform changes yet, while the crew of the Constitution-class have.

320x240.jpg

It does??

I was about to say the only vessel that looks even more like a kitchen implement is the Donozev. :devil:

OK, admittedly the last image is tolerable.

What!!!

I LOVE the Donosev!

page6-1002-full.jpg

How can you not love the Donosev?!

As for the last pic of the Antares, that's the screenshot from the show. The top three views are a fan's CGI model of the ship.

The overall proportions are about the same as the enterprise. She's ugly as sin, but she's proportioned right.

Look again. The Antares is actually much smaller than just the Enterprise's secondary hull (although it's almost as long as the secondary hull). Given the Antares design, it's volumn has got to be about 30% of the secondary hull of the Enterprise or there abouts.

Yep. What's interesting is that the design first saw life in the Animated Series. There's an article on the net that discusses how the ship's designer took that vessel, from TAS, and slapped a pod on the front for the crew (as TAS vessel was robotic).

TAS is, according to both Roddenberry (before he died) and Paramount, not canon.

It is, however, in-bounds for SFU... hence Kzin.

Look again. The Antares is actually much smaller than just the Enterprise's secondary hull (although it's almost as long as the secondary hull). Given the Antares design, it's volumn has got to be about 30% of the secondary hull of the Enterprise or there abouts.

I didn't say same size, I said same proportions. HUGE difference.

And I, too, think the Donosev not a bad design. I've used it in campaigns twice. Both times, lost with all hands due to some REALLY sucky rolls.

Back