• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

I recommend Star Trek: Vanguard

The Miranda class is a feature for feature rip-off of the SFB "New Light Cruiser" (NCL), a design which predates the movie by years (1980 supplement, vs 1982 movie).

It looks very much like the NCL, and has almost identical armament, and many SFB-matching features.

Nexus Magazine had an article, "Star Trek III: The Search for SFB" showing the parallels and how to duplicate ST III with SFB rules.

And the illustration shown is actually an Anton class cruiser, per the FASA-Trek; the Miranda is the refit Anton.

The Miranda class is a feature for feature rip-off of the SFB "New Light Cruiser" (NCL), a design which predates the movie by years (1980 supplement, vs 1982 movie).

It looks very much like the NCL, and has almost identical armament, and many SFB-matching features.

I never agreed with this (despite being a SFB player when Expansion 2 was released--was it really 1980? Wow; we're getting old.)

As I recall, the director chose the two nacelle underneath layout to make sure Reliant could be visually distinguished from Enterprise. I'm not aware of any evidence that the production team of Star Trek 2 played SFB.

And I note that Reliant used two phasers (mounted on each end of the "roll bar"; a feature that does not appear on the SFB new light cruiser). The size of the beams implies that they are more powerful than the phasers on Enterprise. Reliant also has aft firing torpedoes, which do not appear on the NCL.

Enterprise, by contrast used two forward phasers and the port twin phasers. And if the miniature accurately places phasers, Enterprise has 12 phasers -- 3 pairs on top of the saucer and 3 pairs on the bottom of the saucer. (Reliant has the same details, although she uses the rollbar mounted phasers exclusively in the movie).

Implied armament:
Enterprise -- 12 phasers, 2 photon tubes
Reliant -- 12 phasers, 2 "roll bar" mounted phasers, 1 forward torpedo launcher, 1 aft torpedo launcher.

Armament Used in Movie:
Enterprise: 2 forward phasers; 2 port phasers; 2 forward photon tubes
Reliant: 2 "roll bar" mounted phasers; 1 forward photon; 1 aft photon tube

By contrast, the NCL has the same phaser armament as the Heavy Cruiser. No "roll bar"; no aft firing torpedoes. Reliant's torpedo armament is inconclusive, but IIRC, Reliant has a single forward torpedo tube (vs Enterprise's double launcher) and an aft torpedo tube.

At the end of the day, the SFB NCL is a logical alternative to the Franz Joseph destroyer design (which had the same armament as a Heavy Cruiser [with an additional point defense system], but only half the warp power).

The game design of SFB made the destroyer unable to effectively use its armament. Ironic, since Task Force Games/ADB licensed Franz Joseph's work (giving it a "back door" Star Trek license). In SFB, most power is generated by the warp engines (the Heavy Cruiser has 30 points of warp power vs 4 points of impulse power). To fire all its weapons, the Heavy Cruiser requires 14 points of power, leaving plenty of energy (20 points) for shields and maneuvering (18 movement factors if no shield reinforcement is used).

This design decision made the destroyer severely underpowered -- it had 19 points of power total. Using 14 points to power weapons and 2 to power shields meant that it could barely maneuver.

The NCL design corrected this by essentially giving the Destroyer 60% more warp power (24 points). Its lower movement cost vis-a-vis the Heavy Cruiser means that it can power its shields and fire all weapons, while as fast as the the Heavy Cruiser (speed 18).

But as logical as the NCL design is, I don't think that there's any evidence that it inspired the Reliant design.

Caveat -- I haven't played SFB in 22 years; but when I played it, I played it a lot. The details above seem pretty firm in my memory, though.

Last edited:
Closer to the NCL+, really. the aft fire is the real innovation, unless those are drones... but then the Refit enterprise is a BC... ;)
The NCL has a drone rack aft centerline.

The NCL+ adds phasers at the corners (admittedly NOT big ones). But all the combat we see is at range 0... and with no sheilds.

I do think the similarities are striking, and that the NCL was the inspiration for the Reliant/Miranda.... especially given the GSC/Grissom and G3 or G4 vs BoP. I would agree the stock NCL isn't the Miranda with rollbar. Wait.. perhaps it is the conjectural NCL-Mauler... :p

At the end of the day, the SFB NCL is a logical alternative to the Franz Joseph destroyer design (which had the same armament as a Heavy Cruiser [with an additional point defense system], but only half the warp power).

The game design of SFB made the destroyer unable to effectively use its armament. Ironic, since Task Force Games/ADB licensed Franz Joseph's work (giving it a "back door" Star Trek license). In SFB, most power is generated by the warp engines (the Heavy Cruiser has 30 points of warp power vs 4 points of impulse power). To fire all its weapons, the Heavy Cruiser requires 14 points of power, leaving plenty of energy (20 points) for shields and maneuvering (18 movement factors if no shield reinforcement is used).

I recall my friends and I all being disgusted with the handling of the destroyers in SFB. We house-ruled that they got an additional 4 or 5 points of power from the saucer, that they sacrificed crew space for additional power production, as well as for the sensor systems that were mounted on the secondary hull in the Constellations.

Later we unlinked power from warp pods even more when we introduced Federation battle cruisers from one of the Trek fanzines (Constellations with two extra warp pods and extra shield projectors mounted on the fronts of the nacelles.) Using the power calcs from SFB made them so overpowered as to be just no fun. They ate dreadnoughts like popcorn.

I recall my friends and I all being disgusted with the handling of the destroyers in SFB. We house-ruled that they got an additional 4 or 5 points of power from the saucer, that they sacrificed crew space for additional power production, as well as for the sensor systems that were mounted on the secondary hull in the Constellations.

Later we unlinked power from warp pods even more when we introduced Federation battle cruisers from one of the Trek fanzines (Constellations with two extra warp pods and extra shield projectors mounted on the fronts of the nacelles.) Using the power calcs from SFB made them so overpowered as to be just no fun. They ate dreadnoughts like popcorn.

I think that the mistake was made in the orginal material -- Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual.

Star Trek explicitely made it clear that a heavy cruiser could barely operate shields on impulse power ("Elaan of Troyius"); warp power was necessary to fight and maneuver. Thus, the warp engines had to produce far more power than the impulse drives.

It was therefore ridiculous for the Destroyer to carry the same armament as a heavy cruiser, with only half the power. Given what was implied by "Elaan of Troyius", no sane Star Fleet would have designed such a ship. Franz Joseph should have toned the armament down (say 3 phasers instead of 6 and 2 photons instead of 4). Or established that the Destroyer carried smaller phasers and torpedoes.

The designers of SFB faithfully replicated the power tech implied in "Elaan of Troyius", which produced a worthless destroyer. That this was not addressed in playtesting is surprising.

Last edited:
I never found the destroyer worthless; slow, yes. Against any other SFB destroyer, careful use of reserve power allowed it to do some serious damage. A narrow salvo of held photons, for example... deep penetrating hits, rather than mizia.

The deficiencies as portrayed are mollified somewhat by the + and a refits; A DD+a is a wonderful bit of nastiness (4 extra warp reactor).

And no design bureau historically can be rightly accused of sanity... so I doubt the future would change that.

I never found the destroyer worthless; slow, yes. Against any other SFB destroyer, careful use of reserve power allowed it to do some serious damage. A narrow salvo of held photons, for example... deep penetrating hits, rather than mizia.

The deficiencies as portrayed are mollified somewhat by the + and a refits; A DD+a is a wonderful bit of nastiness (4 extra warp reactor).

And no design bureau historically can be rightly accused of sanity... so I doubt the future would change that.

Well, no ship would truly be worthless in SFB, so I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole.

But I found the Destroyer worthless in the sense that it cost too much for its actual capabilities. In effect, its point values included systems that couldn't be used most of the time (unless you wanted to "wallow like a garbage scow against a warp-driven starship").

The math was simple -- 19 total power. Full utilization of weapons and shields required 16 points, leaving 3 points for movement (or minimal shield reinforcement) -- Speed 6 maximum, with no shield reinforcement.

This is a basic flaw that would have been obvious in any computer simulation (or real world wargames), so the "design bureau screwed up" rationale does not convince me. I could see a flawed prototype being built -- but scores of them? No way IMHO.

We're not talking about a hidden flaw (like the vulnerability of British WWI battlecruiser to magazine detonating hits). The DD's flaws would have been obvious in *any* simulation (assuming that Star Fleet engineers knew the energy costs of their weapons and shields). Heck, you could figure that out on the back of an envelope by totalling the energy costs of all major systems.

Even allowing a prototype to be built would have required some additional assumptions. Perhaps the DD had an innovative power amplification system that should have increased warp power in short term situations (ala the Orion pirates' ability to double warp power), and it just didn't work well in real life. Thus, a prototype was built before this was discovered. It's just too much IMHO to assume Star Fleet would have included nearly twice the weaponry that the ship could typically use (with the attendant increased costs, maintenance burden and crewing requirements) in an entire class of scores of ships. If Star Fleet was this incompetent, then there would have been other ship classes with similarly flawed design issues.

Now, it was certainly possible to underutilize the DD weapons. However, the points system still docked you for those underutilized weapons. In addition, the ship is still illogical. Why would Star Fleet fit twice as many weapons as the ship could use on this class (and no other class of its ships)?

Nah, IMHO, it was just a crappy design, highlighted by SFB game design decisions.

The drone variant of the Destroyer was effective -- 4 drone racks instead of 4 photons. Since drones consume no power, the DD could fire its weapons and have plenty of speed -- speed 22 with all weapons and shields powered. This is much more like a naval destroyer IMHO.

And giving the DD 4 extra warp boxes is extremely useful -- that gives it effectively 8 more movement points. At this point, it begins to approach the NCL. This should have been the original SFB design in my opinion.

Last edited:
The DD was useful using either set of armament, as was done by the Enterprise often enough in the show: Phasers or photons, seldom both. Speed 15.

Or, holding 4 overloads at start: speed 15. If it hits you with a narrow salvo of everything, you die. 64 points of photons + 6x Ph-I will crunch any DD in the game (doint 30-50 internals). It's a one-shot wonder that way, but it is QUITE potent.

The Plus refit gave it sufficient power to arm both photons and 4 phasers, adding 4 APR (and 2x p-III and a drone rack).

The DDG+ was just nasty... but, more importantly, it tied up enemy phasers.

I prefer the mixed DD's: 2 photon, 2-3 drone (3 on +).

A Legendary Engineer makes the Fed DD a powerhouse, BTW.

The design specs for SFB mention it was a peacetime design; the full armament was for compatibiity and cross-training, not so much for actual use. Given the threats it faces in the SFB setting, to wit, the F5 destroyer and the Kzinti DD, the SFB destroyer is not too bad off. General War refits make all of them serious warships, but the Y120-ish Kzinti with speed 8 drones are far less a threat than would be implied from the SSD. For its time, it's passable. It's a pouncer, not a chaser.

Or, holding 4 overloads at start: speed 15. If it hits you with a narrow salvo of everything, you die. 64 points of photons + 6x Ph-I will crunch any DD in the game (doint 30-50 internals). It's a one-shot wonder that way, but it is QUITE potent.
And my luck would always see three of those torps miss! Damn you accursed dice!

The story of Vanguard takes place in the Taurus Reach, an unexplored region of the galaxy that is sandwiched in between the Klingon Empire and the Tholian Assembly.

The year is 2265. The Enterprise has just limped back from its encounter at the edge of the galaxy shown in the episode Where No Man Has Gone Before. The episode, The Corbomite Maneuver, has not yet taken place.

Starfleet uniforms are undergoing a change, from this:

250px-JamesTKirk.jpg

To this:

Captainkirk.jpg

David Mack, the author of the first book in the series, has done his research. I love the fact that he mentions the uniform change, in passing, in the story.

The Enterprise has not yet seen its warp nacell upgrade.

Before upgrade:

42599323_b46d1fdc6e.jpg

After upgrade:

43134689_599e242e1a.jpg

The Fed DD is useful in one role that isn't useful in most SFB games...Retrograde movement, firing proximity torps...

Unfortunately, most games were fought on fixed maps, making this not all that useful.

One thing I like about the series is that characters we've seen before--characters we've seen little of--make an appearance.

Commodore Matt Decker, commanding the USS Constitution, before his death in the episode titled The Doomsday Machine.

Commodore_Matt_Decker.jpg

Decker's son, Wil, also in Starfleet, will one day command the Enterprise--hand-picked by Kirk when he joins the admiralty.

(Note: The Decker character, the Commodore's son, was created by Gene Rodenberry for the second classic Trek series that never-was, Phase II. When Rodenberry created The Next Generation, the Willard Decker character became William Riker, since Wil Decker met a fate similar to his father's when he joined with V'Ger in The Motion Picture.)

292px-Will_Decker.jpg

Doctor Mark Piper preceeds McCoy as Chief Medical Officer aboard the Enterprise.

200px-Mark_Piper.jpg

And, Dr. Jabilo M'Benga joins the crew of the Enterprise during their first stop at Vanguard.

7349482_1050185679.jpg

Last edited:
Oriana D'Amato is the wife of Enterprise geologist Robert D'Amato. She's the Chief Helmsman on the USS Bombay, a Miranda class cruiser assigned to Vanguard.

180px-DAmato.jpg

She's one of my favorite characters in the first book.

The Federation Ambassador on Vanguard, Jetanien, is a Regellian Chelon--a race descended from turtles (At least it's not another human with a funky forehead!).

RigellianC.jpg

And, of course, we learn more about the Tholians in this series.

tholian2.jpg

Last edited:
Assigned to Vanguard are three ships of the line.

A Constitution class flagship, the USS Endeavour, is assigned to make first contact with races in the Taurus Reach and ferry Federation Ambassador Jetanien on necessary missions.

The Miranda class USS Bombay is the workhorse of the station, a cruiser large enough to deal with day-to-day starbase business.

And, there is an Archer class scout, the USS Sagittarius, assigned for deep exploration of the Reach.

250px-Reap_the_Whirlwind.jpg

Commander Clark Terrell is executive officer aboard the Sagittarius. In the future, when he is promoted to Captain, he will take command of the USS Reliant.

292px-ClarkTerrell2285.jpg

reliant3.jpg

If you remember, from The Wrath of Khan, Terrell runs a pretty informal ship. Well, Mack, in writing about the crew of the Sagittarius, takes his que from that. We see where Terrell is influenced by informality during his time as exec officer of the Sagittarius.

Mack doesn't beat you over the head with it. It's there. You either notice it, or you don't.

That's fantastic writing. That's paying attention to detail of a universe.

You can tell that Mack loves this stuff (and it not just doing it for a paycheck), because he lovingly does his research and knows how to write a good book.

Last edited:
On December 31, 2008, the title of Book 5 was announced!

Star Trek Vanguard

Prequel: Distant Early Warning, by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore

Book 1: Harbinger, by David Mack
Book 2: Summon The Thunder, by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore
Book 3: Reap the Whirlwind, by David Mack

Book 4: Open Secrets, by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore (due April 2009)
Book 5: Precipice, by David Mack (due December 2009)

Distant_Early_Warning_eBook_cover.jpg

More neat stuff about the Vanguard series...

Click on this link to find out info about the characters:
http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Vanguard

Note that you can click on the character's names and be taken to a page that speaks, in-depth, about each character. At the bottom of the page, you'll see links to the three vessels assigned to Vanguard--the Endeavour, the Bombay, and the Sagittarius. Click on those ship names to be taken to a page see their crews--and you can click on those names as well to find out more about those characters.

Be careful, though! There are spoilers within those links!

I'd read the books first, then browse. I've been careful not to spoil anything from the books in these posts I've made.

You will find out some neat tid-bits, though, stuff like...

(This is non-spoiler stuff)

Tim Pennington, the reporter on Vanguard, will eventually have the Pennington School of Journalism named after him (which is mentioned in a Deep Space Nine episode).

Cervantes Quinn, the Harry Mudd-esque rogue character on Vanguard, has a ship named the Rocinante. (The Rocinante is pictured on the cover of the Harbinger novel above--it's the ship on the left, docked to the starbase.)

"Rocinante" is the name of Don Quixote's horse.

From the wiki: Rocín in Spanish means work-horse or low-quality horse ("nag"), but also illiterate or rough man. The name is, however, a pun. On the first order, the Spanish ante means "before" or "previously". On the second order, it also translates as 'in front of'. On the third order, the suffix -ante in Spanish is adverbial; rocinante refers to functioning as or being a rocín reflexively. As such, the author establishes a pattern of ambiguous interpretations present in many instances of verbiage in the novel.

Also note that the novel, Don Quixote, was written by Miquel de Cervantes y Saavedra.

And, David Mack named the character "Cervantes Quinn" (almost Cervantes Twin).

I always loved how Trek stories would work in the classics into their tales, and I think Mack has done a brilliant job with this one.

Mary-Anne Rice took command of the USS Endeavour in 2251, becoming the first femal Starfleet captain of a starship vessel with the magnitude of a Constitution class heavy cruiser. She is re-assigned in the early 2260's, about the time the story around Vanguard begins, replaced by Captain Zhao Sheng.

In 2267, Endeavour is one of three Federation starships assigned to assist the USS Enterprise during inaugration ceremonies on Altair IV (TOS episode Amok Time).

In 2270, Endeavour returned from her five year mission and entered drydock for refit to Enterprise-subclass specifications (TOS novel A Flag Full of Stars).

In 2293, the Endeavour was on a deep space exploration mission near Klingon territory. It was among the starships that would have been assembled for the abandoned assault code named Operation Retrieve, which would have rescued Captain James T. Kirk and Dr. Leonard McCoy from Qo'noS. (TOS film: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country).

Following her graduation from Starfleet Academy in 2321, acting Lieutenant j.g. Rachel Garrett was assigned to the Endeavour while on its patrolof the Romulan Neutral Zone. Rachel Garrett eventually rises in rank to command the USS Enterprise-C (TNG episode).

If you like neat little tid-bits like this, as I do, you'll find them by browsing around the links I provided above. There's plenty of neat stuff there.

Again...watch out for spoilers!

It's interesting to see the sphere and cylinder ship on the covers above. It looks like one of the original concepts for the Enterprise.

It's interesting to see the sphere and cylinder ship on the covers above. It looks like one of the original concepts for the Enterprise.

You are correct. That's the Daedalus class starship. Originally, it was a design for the Enterprise that was rejected. Then, a model of the ship started showing up as set pieces in the various Star Trek shows. In literature, the ship was made canon in the universe as one of the early Starfleet starship designs.

I think the design is kind of neat because it looks like a merging of Starfleet and real world space vehicle design.

daedalus_01.jpg

Here is an excellent web site on this class of starship: http://www.daedalusclass.com/

The USS Archon, from TOS episode The Return of the Archons, was said to be a Daedalus class cruiser. So was the USS Horizon, that was said to visit the world of Sigma Iotia II, where TOS episode A Piece of the Action took place.

1891.jpg

In the novel, Starfleet: Year One, by Jan Michael Friedman, competition among the early Starfleet's captains for command of the first Daedalus was one of the main plot threads.

In the Vanguard series, the USS Lovell is featured (on the cover of the prequel story and on the cover of Summon The Thunder).

The Daedalus class is quite popular in the universe, and you'll see the ship referenced in all sorts of Trek stories, shows, and video games.

Daedalus.png

daed2.gif

Last edited:
Back