• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

I recommend Star Trek: Vanguard

To get back on topic.

I was befriended by a purported "Trek" fan who, again, purportedly had affection for "TOS" Trek. He was high energy, pretty clever, well read, a respectable thespian, severely overweight, ugly, a much better SFB player than me, but, most importantly of all, he failed to understand the true mainline themes coursing through that 1960's television show.

He was very much into the drama, the emotional spectacle and so forth. He had action figures, models, Trek-this, Trek-that literally littered all over his house. But for all his alleged fandomness, and his love of mimicking various things Trek, he failed to grasp a lot of the full fledged themes and allegories of those stories.

Not to be too high-faulting' about it, but imagine reading Kane and Able and really getting into the drama between the two brothers, but completely missing the message of the story. Or cracking open a Shakespeare play, say Hamlet, and falling in love with the emotional drama, but completely ignoring the whole "ghost seeking revenge through his son" motif, or not even getting that at all.

I think there's a lot of puffery and emotional fluff and added emotional ⌧ to the new stories than there ever is any substance.... ahhh... where am I going with this... Jesus, sorry folks, I've been up at 4AM all this week and last week, and have been going to bed at 10PM, so I'm a bit off, tired, and will finish this up later on tomorrow :)

Gnight.

*EDIT; a few hours of sleep later...*

There's a lot of good reading lit out there on the market, but the main themes coursing through those stories are not the stories that I and my parents grew up with. To get back to "Hamlet", it's more than just a simple revenge play, it's a play about one man's version of right and wrong verse everyone else's, and since it is a tragedy there's the whole "violence begets violence" intent melding with the grapple between right and wrong.

To end this tirade, "they just don't make 'em like they used to". Trek included.

And with that, I think I'll sign off on this subject. Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:
Based on your recommendation SuppFour, I have acquired four out of the five books: Harbinger, Summon the Thunder, Open Secrets and Precipice. Couldn't find Reap the Whirlwind in the bookstores I hit up.

Read some of Harbinger today actually. Seems interesting enough. I have a fondness for TOS over all of Trek, and love any quality writing set in that time. (whereas TNG+ gets a mighty 'meh' from me, although I always wanted to give Peter David's personal series a good try, but it seems to be something that's grown so big it would be difficult to jump into it from the beginning as a lot of them aren't even on the shelves anymore)

So I've read Harbinger, Summon the Thunder, Reap the Whirlwind, and I'm also half way through Open Secrets. So far this series has been extremely interesting.

Has anyone noted that we now have, in its first test flights, a spacecraft named "Enterprise"?

The VSS Enterprise underwent its first "Captured Carry" flight tests yesterday(or was it two days ago...working nights is having an effect)

Marc

Yep. And it's the only hope, now that NASA's capitulated on the shutdown of manned spaceflight ops. Further despondence sayeth not.

The next Vanguard book has been announced. This one is an anthology of stories featuring the space station. It's due out in 2011.

Wow...just saying "twenty eleven" sounds wierd. It still sounds "scifi" to me.

Yep. And it's the only hope, now that NASA's capitulated on the shutdown of manned spaceflight ops. Further despondence sayeth not.

Virgin's Enterprise, the only hope?

We've got Dream Chaser, CST-100, Dragon and Orion. There may still be surprises with the Liberty II as well. This is not the time to be despondent. :)

Virgin's Enterprise, the only hope?

We've got Dream Chaser, CST-100, Dragon and Orion. There may still be surprises with the Liberty II as well. This is not the time to be despondent. :)

At the time, Dragon was not yet on NASA's radar, and NASA was being seriously budget nerfed. NASA has come around, at least in part. Dragon Cargo is flying, and Dragon Manned is in testing. Dragon Manned still might not make the NASA grade.

Back