• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Idea for a shared Refereeing campaign with my 2 daughters - feedback wanted

OjnoTheRed

SOC-13
Marquis
Our general idea is that we have a world around medieval technology TL with three Sophont species that all have significant and roughly equal presence. They have blacksmithing, water wheels, beast-and-cart, textiles but are pre-Renaissance.

In the style of Savage Worlds, the system has been the focus of interstellar naval battles for some reason, and ships have crashed on the planets and thus technology scavenged and changing the social balance between the three species. A central conflict in the background is how useable technology is treated - as an advantage in war? To share to increase the welfare of 'all' (although 'all' may or may not include the other Sophont species).

Each player (all three of us) develop the details of their own idea for a Sophont. At the moment we generated a bunch of ideas, we haven't quite reconciled them yet, and they could be plugged into, say, the T5 Sophont rules making choices more than dice rolls. The central trope would be technology scavengers who fence their finds to either governments or private agents with various motives. Conflicts would include competition from other scavengers, ethical dilemmas about how governments would use that crate of autorifles, etc.

Edit: Just started reading Rob's discussion of proto-Traveller. Could insert this world somewhere in the Spinward Marches somewhere in neutral space where human enemy navies meet (Imperial vs. Zhodani, or even Darrian vs. Sword Worlds or Imperial vs. Sword Worlds). That might fit as well.

The party would consist of one or two sophonts from each species, run as PCs by the player who developed that species. When the party wanders onto a territory dominated by the Sophonts they have created, they become the Referee.

The twist is that the interstellar war is between two Human interstellar empires or mini-empires and so it is Humans that are the 'aliens'.

This allows us to insert the world into an OTU or ATU in which we'd start by sharing out worlds in a subsector to research or develop, and again rotate the Refereeing when the party wanders onto the world that person developed.

If we keep up the setting, we can then play other Sophonts including humans with each player having an intimate knowledge of the Sophonts they have created.

I'd like general feedback, but I do have a particular question: I had a look over the Cepheus Engine (which I gather is basically Mongoose mechanics with Mongoose IP removed?) and I like its simplicity and playability and I think it captures the spirit of Classic Traveller while filling in some blanks. But I am also fond of T5 (despite the Errata) and the Sophont creation rules especially fit here.

Just started reading Rob's proto-Traveller sticky thread. That might work too: we could insert this world in an obvious interstellar conflict point in the Spinward Marches - Fourth Frontier War era.

Also, our joint ideas so far we did in Google Docs are attached in PDF form. They contain contradictions because it's three authors but we're working through decisions.

Attachments

• Initialideas.pdf
    91.5 KB · Views: 11
Sounds very interesting. "Primitive" aliens fighting over the scraps of Human conflict.

I wonder how long before Human factions start sponsoring locals for use as proxies, possibly to set up the world as a base...

Sounds very interesting. "Primitive" aliens fighting over the scraps of Human conflict.

I wonder how long before Human factions start sponsoring locals for use as proxies, possibly to set up the world as a base...

Thank you! Adventure seed right there!

How old are your daughters? The reason I'm asking is that Sabredog ran a nifty campaign for his young daughter that involved her scout character traveling to new planets to discover and name new animals.

First, they'd roll up the critters' attributes on the tables together. Next, she'd work out how the animal behaved, what it looked like, and a likely name for it. Finally, she'd draw a picture of the beastie.

Sabredog was kind enough to share some of his daughter's "field work" with us including the art work. Not only was the art was great, the entire process looked like a great deal of fun.

How old are your daughters? The reason I'm asking is that Sabredog ran a nifty campaign for his young daughter that involved her scout character traveling to new planets to discover and name new animals.

First, they'd roll up the critters' attributes on the tables together. Next, she'd work out how the animal behaved, what it looked like, and a likely name for it. Finally, she'd draw a picture of the beastie.

Sabredog was kind enough to share some of his daughter's "field work" with us including the art work. Not only was the art was great, the entire process looked like a great deal of fun.

I'm intending to run my car crazy nephew through an iteration of Striker vehicle builds, to build a car and then an ATV and possibly a truck. I want to see what he comes up with as feature sets, build it for our tech, then throw a fusion plant or battery set on it, and then grav it.

Should be fun, and will get him thinking logically about feature sets for vehicles. Or illogically using kid logic, that might be more fun.

They are 15 and 12. What a great idea for campaign! Definitely clipping that for future reference.

That would work perfectly with both of mine as well. They love drawing and creating background for fantasy or alien creatures. My older daughter is especially known for her Dragon work. Both of them love Art and Visual Design at school.

I'm intending to run my car crazy nephew through an iteration of Striker vehicle builds, to build a car and then an ATV and possibly a truck. I want to see what he comes up with as feature sets, build it for our tech, then throw a fusion plant or battery set on it, and then grav it.

Should be fun, and will get him thinking logically about feature sets for vehicles. Or illogically using kid logic, that might be more fun.

That's another great way to share out universe shaping and creation.

A bit of an update.

I'm now using a combination of the MegaTraveller World Builder's Handbook, Artifexian's You Tube channel and Matthew Selznick's Worldbuilding for Writers, Gamers, and Other Creators to flesh out some details. We're making choices rather than rolling dice to build the world.

It's an Earth-like world with Size 9, Atmosphere 9 and Hydrographics 8. It will be government type 7, and actual populations we'll settle on later. From the table of possible atmospheric taints, Harriet (the older daughter) and me started looking up various gas mixes that would make it interesting. We eventually settled on 'high oxygen' taint and I did some research about the partial-pressure of O2 when it becomes toxic to humans. I use Selznick's work to work out the altitude at which humans would find the atmosphere non-toxic. This creates a seed for a 'journey to the top of the mountain to investigate the strange things happening there'.

What a great idea for campaign!

That's exactly what I said when I read Sabredog's various posts. :)

You can find several of the zoological discovers made by "Scout Vicky" in the Bestiary forum. They're wonderful and, while Sabredog did help her a little, his daughter's ideas and art absolutely shine in her work.

While your daughters are older than Sabredog's little scout, that simply means they're going to have fun creating an entire setting rather than "just" the critters!

Back