• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Imperial Law

As a thought?

How does a world with medieval level technology know how many people there are on its planet? How would it know what to tax their subjects at?

If a world doesn't have a starport nor all that much in the way of starship travel to and/or from it - how does it pay what it owes?

What if the only planets who are considered to be Taxpayers - are those who reside on/at or are registered as citizen of a specific world who has either A, B, and/or C class starports only? Perhaps only those worlds who have the capability to build shipyards are taxable?

Might go a long way towards explaining why some worlds just don't have any major starports. Since TRADE is supposedly the goal of the Third Imperium - might it not tax based on which planets build trace centers known as "starports"???

Just out of the box thinking.

Originally posted by Hal:
Lets look at the Imperium when it first started out. Nominally - it was a democracy that was rotten to its core.
See - if you can't make it attractive for worlds to join voluntarily - why would they have joined? If the "contract" to join was so one sided - who in the hell would have joined?
First: there is no evidence that the Sylean Federation was a democracy. An oligarchy seems more likely. That also allows an easier transition to an aristocratic system. Of course, T4 also adds a Vilani component to the mix.

More importantly, what does the Imperium offer its member worlds?

A few years ago I wrote a very long answer to this question, that a lot of people seemed to like. I don't have that answer around any more, and I'm a little horrified by the prospect of recreating it. :(

Briefly then: what the Imperium offers is peace and trade. Worlds within the Imperium are not at war with each other, don't raid each other, and don't pirate each others' shipping. In addition, they are allied together against any outsiders that attempt to attack them.

The Imperium brings security. The alternative was called "the Long Night".

The Imperium secures trade, and allows economic growth, without some pirate yo-ho-ho-ing your cities with nuclear weapons.

These things are worth a great deal.

They're worth even more if you are one of the members of the elite that runs the show. That's _your_ shipping that's not being pirated.

Hmm. For the canon 3I, I doubt it has a constitution in the USA/Canada/etc. sense. I think it has a basic founding document, essentially a treaty, that specifies the basics of government. It'd probably lay out the broad goals of the Imperium, how the Emperor is determined and what (s)he can do, who's in the Moot and what they can do. All in very broad strokes.

The Imperium's lawmaking body appears to be the Emperor himself. I expect that there's a huge body of advisors, nobles, lobbyists, etc. trying to get him to enact or repeal particular legislation, but the ultimate authority is likely the Imperial signature and seal. I expect that the exact balance of power between the Emperor, the Nobility, individual worlds, the bureaucracy, and the megacorps is in flux, and changes based on how strong the current Emperor is - and how strong the opposing factions are.

Because of this, and because the Imperium is far too large and complex for one person to rule, I expect that most legislation is proposed by others (who exactly can do this probably varies by emperor - likely nobles can, perhaps cabinet-level civil servants, maybe some influential megacorp execs, etc.), reviewed by some group of experts appointed by the emperor, and then either adopted or rejected. A strong emperor with a particular agenda could propose their own legislation - this would probably happen on "constitutional" issues like sophonts' rights. A weak emperor might be effectively forced to sign whatever is put in front of him.

So it seems to me imperial law will exist in fairly broad strokes; open wording both makes it easier for all the advisors to agree on it, and gives authorities on the spot the leeway to implement laws in a way suited to their jurisdiction. I expect precedent is very strong in the Imperial legal system, which means control of the judiciary would be an important issue, probably addressed by an early imperial edict. Likely the major body of law that an average citizen runs into would actually be local precedent created by judges' decisions, which would explain why Imperial law can be so different in various systems.

As a thought?

How does a world with medieval level technology know how many people there are on its planet? How would it know what to tax their subjects at?
IMTU:

MoT personnel work with the Member World and the Local Noble, utilizing a combination of census data (as available under those conditions), satellite coverage (as deployed by the MoT for that purpose), statistical sampling, growth projections, and immigration data from the local starport (A, B, and C only) to determine the official Estimated Total Population.

For Member World Governments dissastified with the results, there is an arbitration process, and a process of submitting claims through the Local Noble to the Subsector or Sector Noble.

If a world doesn't have a starport nor all that much in the way of starship travel to and/or from it - how does it pay what it owes?
Small worlds with Low-Population and minimal Starport facilities contribute very little to the Imperium, and therefore have little to pay.

However, a Local Noble is always assigned to the world. That Local Noble (Marquis or Baron) is resonsible for aiding the MoT in the collection of taxes. In the event there is literally no trade or commerce or other similar activity that can generate funds, the Local Noble must find "alternate" means of generating the funds the MoT determines must be paid. The most frequent case in such underdeveloped worlds is for the Local Noble to form an LIC corporation to do business on the world (usually this happens during or immediately after the admission process of a Member World into the Imperium). Sometimes this business may be a caravan and caravel business that barters (maybe with medieval coinage, though that might as well be barter for Imperial purposes) for every trade transaction. However, the main aim of these companies is to accumulate, annually, sufficient raw resources that are desireable off world to sell to free traders in exchange for Imperial Credits. These raw resource shipments are, IMTU, one of the main reasons any free trader ever shows up at such worlds.

There are a few worlds of such poverty, low population, and complete lack of resources, that even this cannot be done. These worlds are assessed very limited amounts due by the MoT, and in these cases it becomes the Local Noble's job to pay for it out of pocket. (Also IMTU, all Ruling Nobles are provided, at Title Creation, with sufficient estates, land, financial instruments, etc., to maintain a certain minimum level of wealth so as not to embaress the rest of the aristocracy; and so they do have sufficient funds for such a purpose.) In these cases the Subsector and Sector Duke are almost certainly cooperating with that Local Noble to provide developmental funds, as both Senior Nobles have a vested interest in turning a money pit into a thriving center of profit for the rest of the Imperium. (Hmmm, this could also be the reason why a variety of rockballs get such high populations: some low level Local Noble, or perhaps a succession of them, do a brilliant job in developing an otherwise inhospitable location.)

What if the only planets who are considered to be Taxpayers - are those who reside on/at or are registered as citizen of a specific world who has either A, B, and/or C class starports only? Perhaps only those worlds who have the capability to build shipyards are taxable?
This could be an option, but also consider the disaffection this would cause elsewhere. If taxes aren't evenly applied, then everyone who is taxed is going to be angry that others aren't being taxed and doubly angry at the ones doing the taxing.

Might go a long way towards explaining why some worlds just don't have any major starports. Since TRADE is supposedly the goal of the Third Imperium - might it not tax based on which planets build trace centers known as "starports"???

Just out of the box thinking.

Originally posted by ScottB:
Hmm. For the canon 3I, I doubt it has a constitution in the USA/Canada/etc. sense. I
I'd definitely agree with that.

IMTU:

Cleon I gave himself near absolute authority at The Founding, and he got away with a great deal, moulding his own laws, and hauling in a great deal of existing Sylean jurisprudence. His successors were stuck with what he'd created in many ways. Atlthough as absolute monarch they could, if they wished, impose any law, no matter how unpopular, the unpopularity would require many measures and efforts to enforce, and each Emperor, in the end, only has so much "effort" at their disposal. This leads to to the need to enact laws that are determined to be acceptable (to the Nobility first, the Megacorporations second (who are inextricably linked to the nobility), with the populace (who may go terrorist/revolutionary if pressed too far) and foreign governments fighting it out for third and fourth place). Acceptable laws are enforced willfully, and one hopes, with some enthusiasm, by the Nobility, and paid at least a little more than lip service to by the Megacorporations.

think it has a basic founding document, essentially a treaty, that specifies the basics of government. It'd probably lay out the broad goals of the Imperium, how the Emperor is determined and what (s)he can do, who's in the Moot and what they can do. All in very broad strokes.

The Imperium's lawmaking body appears to be the Emperor himself. I expect that there's a huge body of advisors, nobles, lobbyists, etc. trying to get him to enact or repeal particular legislation, but the ultimate authority is likely the Imperial signature and seal. I expect that the exact balance of power between the Emperor, the Nobility, individual worlds, the bureaucracy, and the megacorps is in flux, and changes based on how strong the current Emperor is - and how strong the opposing factions are.

Because of this, and because the Imperium is far too large and complex for one person to rule, I expect that most legislation is proposed by others (who exactly can do this probably varies by emperor - likely nobles can, perhaps cabinet-level civil servants, maybe some influential megacorp execs, etc.), reviewed by some group of experts appointed by the emperor, and then either
IMTU:

Think tanks and consultancies are a huge business on Capital/Core, employing millions in Cleon City alone.

In addition to the staffs of the Imperial Military and Imperial Bureaucracy, the Emperor has established the Imperial Advisory Council, headed up by those he trusts to do personal reviews of legislation and proposals from any source, as well as to provide complete details and research for the Emperor on any proposals he wishes to submit before the Moot.

adopted or rejected. A strong emperor with a particular agenda could propose their own legislation - this would probably happen on "constitutional" issues like sophonts' rights. A weak emperor might be effectively forced to sign whatever is put in front of him.
The Emperors List backs this up, the apparent existence of weak Emperors, but fortunately for the Imperium, there haven't been many.

So it seems to me imperial law will exist in fairly broad strokes; open wording both makes it easier for all the advisors to agree on it, and gives authorities on the spot the leeway to implement laws in a way suited to their jurisdiction. I expect precedent is very strong in the Imperial legal system, which means control of the judiciary would be an important issue, probably addressed by an early imperial edict. Likely the major body of law that an average citizen runs into would actually be local precedent created by judges' decisions, which would explain why Imperial law can be so different in various systems.
I'd agree with most of that, so long as it was plainly understood that local precedents could not override the basic edicts of the Imperium, especially the ones guaranteeing Human Rights.

<snip>

Limited Member World Autonomy is something I more or less have evolved to in my own Traveller universe.

<snip>

. . . How do you get a bunch of people eager to join into an Imperium collective unless it somehow benefits the LEADERS of the world in question?
IMTU:

To pursuade planetary populations, it was the Imperial Human Rights Accord, and with it, the Justice Entitlement. These features made the Imperium seem like a friendly pro-individual place to be a part of.

For the leaders of the planet, it was a chance to either be elevated into the aristocracy of a new insterstellar state (with all the attendant possibilities for exploitation and advancement), or to become part of an externally protected and authorized government, one which need no longer fear external conquest at any moment. Although many governments were forced to clean up their act with regards to human rights in order to be admitted, there often seemed many benefits, especially wealth, prestige, and elevated personal importance, for joining the Imperium.

For both sides, there was the vast door of Trade with the Imperium and its then-high tech wonders. Right after the Long Night, TL-13, and most especially it's medical wonders (anagathics and other life-extension therapies), seemed like a new magic come down from the heavens to save them.

Those that didn't share these feelings eventually wound up getting conquered by massed fleets of ships of the lines, and massed fleets of troop transports (in the Pacifications there are documented instances of as many as five Army Groups, with almost five thousand grav tanks, being carried at one time between the stars on single missions).

Although many worlds were conquered only later, there were those conquered outright at the beginning. The carrot and stick example of "get lots of goodies by joining", or "get conquered by a military you can't hope to oppose" got a lot of worlds to apply for Membership on their own.

Oh yes, and out in the forefront of the Imperial expansion went the diplomats (who extolled the many virtues of joining the Imperium (and who bribed everyone they could with money and high tech gadgetry)) and intelligence agents who acted to improve the Imperium's image as a savior who would either help the good local government or smash the evil local government (depending). The intelligence agents worked to prop up governments who looked like they would join while simultaneously removing obstacles to joining. They also worked to destablize those governments that did not wish to join.

<snip of many other good points>

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:I'd agree with most of that, so long as it was plainly understood that local precedents could not override the basic edicts of the Imperium, especially the ones guaranteeing Human Rights.
Sure, that's how precedent works. The emperor issues an edict that says "All humans (or sophonts or whatever) have these fundamental rights...", then out in the Marches somebody brings a lawsuit claiming that, for example, clones are (or are not) human for the purpose of Imperial law. Whatever judiciary decides the case will set precedent for other cases in the same jurisdiction, so you might find that on Regina clones are guaranteed human rights while on Mora perhaps they're not.

Rulings would also be made for genetically engineered groups, perhaps those with extensive cybernetic replacements, etc. And so you get an Imperium where the basics of the law are uniform, but individual application varies from one location to the next.

I don't really see the canon 3I as being an especially active or effective guarantor of individual rights; while there are exceptions, the 3I mostly seems to operate at the world/megacorp level and above. I like it that way - makes for more of an incentive for adventuring, providing a reason why somebody might try to eke out a marginal living as a free trader who does shady operations to make ends meet, the way many PC groups do. If the alternative is living under a variety of 1984ish bureaucracies or uncaring corporate governments only barely restrained from their worst excesses by the Imperium, the Traveller lifestyle probably starts to look pretty good.

<snip>

I don't really see the canon 3I as being an especially active or effective guarantor of individual rights; while there are exceptions,
I'd agree on that for particular individuals. :D

When it comes to larger numbers of them, then the 3I is out there watching. In order for MTU's conception to work, it requires that the 3I sit up and take notice when a Member World Government starts abusing human rights on a noticeable scale. If the leaders of Trin are discovered to be kidnapping people once a month for a night time snack (or rape, or torture, or whatever), they'll likely get quietly pushed aside and replaced with their non-violating subordinates. If it's found that there is wholesale violation and corruption on these issues (thousands of people getting liquidated, etc.), the entire government might get removed. And given that Trin is High-Pop and TL-15, that would be a very difficult proposition. Trin could easily field a couple of hundred 50 KdTon battleriders, so it probably wouldn't involve military intervention, but a carefully planned invasion and coup d'etat by (IMTU) of Imperial Interstellar Intelligence supported by INI and the Imperial Secret Service. Anyway, such things happen with extreme rarity, most governments by 1100+ know better than mow down civilians outside of official wars (and inside planetary war zones, all sort of abuses are committed, and the Imperium will almost never lift a finger to interfer).

Additionally, the Imperium has limited monitoring resources, and relies heavily on individuals reporting abuses.

And of course, the keyword in this is, "If discovered." If they're not discovered, then the abuses continue (and I'll admit that MTU has it's share of this, where twisted individuals hide their despicable abuses in order to avoid . . . Imperial entanglements).
file_23.gif

the 3I mostly seems to operate at the world/megacorp level and above. I like it that way - makes for more of an incentive for adventuring, providing a reason why somebody might try to eke out a marginal living as a free trader who does shady operations to make ends meet, the way many PC groups do. If the alternative is living under a variety of 1984ish bureaucracies or uncaring corporate governments only barely restrained from their worst excesses
From a lot of the world write ups I read, I get this same impression. Insanely isolationist and oppressive governments all over the Imperium.
file_28.gif

I don't view MTU that way (uncaring yes, evil . . . well, not very much), although there is a lot out there that paints it that way.

by the Imperium, the Traveller lifestyle probably starts to look pretty good.
There can be many profit motives other than fear.
Greed, for one. Greed is good for adventuring storylines (but I'd rather not see it in my elected . . . wait, I'd better stop right there).

If there are so many governments like that in the Imperium, then I don't see even the current proposed levels of trade (from GT:FT) actually existing. There would be too many barriers to getting anything done on each world.
file_28.gif

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
The Emperors List backs this up, the apparent existence of weak Emperors, but fortunately for the Imperium, there haven't been many.
I've always been a little disappointed that there is so little evidence for the existence of Imperial Chancellors and the like. The only mention I can recall is Artemsus Lentuli being chancellor to Cleon II, and some T4 material that expanded this.

The significance of all this is that it doesn't actually matter if an Emperor is "weak", as long as they appoint a "strong" and capable Chancellor. Of course, such "prime ministers" can be dangerous in a society that acknowledges Right of Assassination as a legitimate basis for a claim to the throne!

But still: where are the Bismarcks, Richelieus, Metternichs and Mazarins?

Originally posted by alanb:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
I've always been a little disappointed that there is so little evidence for the existence of Imperial Chancellors and the like. The only mention I can recall is Artemsus Lentuli being chancellor to Cleon II, and some T4 material that expanded this.

The significance of all this is that it doesn't actually matter if an Emperor is "weak", as long as they appoint a "strong" and capable Chancellor. Of course, such "prime ministers" can be dangerous in a society that acknowledges Right of Assassination as a legitimate basis for a claim to the throne!

But still: where are the Bismarcks, Richelieus, Metternichs and Mazarins?
</font>[/QUOTE]I always got the impression that the Emperor was the "Prime Minister".

I remember the reference to Cleon II's Chancellor now, thanks for mentioning it. Hmmm, I don't know what I'm going to do about it, my 1110 conception of the Imperial Bureaucracy doesn't include one.

"Chancellor" is frequent associated with financial control positions due to the "Chancellor of the Exchequer" position in England's monarchy, but the title can be put to any task.

I'm going to say, for MTU's purposes, that there *was* a Chancellor in the early Imperial Bureaucracy, but not in the modern one. Heh, what do I know, anyway? :rolleyes:

First: there is no evidence that the Sylean Federation was a democracy. An oligarchy seems more likely. That also allows an easier transition to an aristocratic system. Of course, T4 also adds a Vilani component to the mix.

More importantly, what does the Imperium offer its member worlds?

A few years ago I wrote a very long answer to this question, that a lot of people seemed to like. I don't have that answer around any more, and I'm a little horrified by the prospect of recreating it. :(

Briefly then: what the Imperium offers is peace and trade. Worlds within the Imperium are not at war with each other, don't raid each other, and don't pirate each others' shipping. In addition, they are allied together against any outsiders that attempt to attack them.

The Imperium brings security. The alternative was called "the Long Night".

The Imperium secures trade, and allows economic growth, without some pirate yo-ho-ho-ing your cities with nuclear weapons.

These things are worth a great deal.

They're worth even more if you are one of the members of the elite that runs the show. That's _your_ shipping that's not being pirated.
I guess I wasn't being very clear :(

In the beginning, the Sylean federation was a democracy in that it had people who could vote for who their Senators were - but the vote process was rigged as to who could vote or who could not vote. This limited voting pool looks very much like what a NYC polital boss wanted when he said "Who cares who they vote for, as long as I get to chose who they can vote for".

In other words, it wasn't a democracy as we know it in the United States today, but a Democracy in theory and outward appearance.
At that point in time, Cleon began his clearly treasonous work to undermine the then current government system in order to replace it with his own version of how he thought it should be - with an Emperor for Life type government. At this point in time, he had to bring in line, those people currently in power in the Federation into his own form of government and he had to eliminate those who were inclined to resist his machinations. He also had to do this without getting caught until he was ready for his changeover. That he held his position in the Senate helped him immensely it would seem.
I'm not going to argue the merits of the early canon history of the Imperium. For all I know, Cleon was a VERY charismatic individual whose ruthlessness would horrify people of today's sensibilities. There were mentions of assassinations and "do this or else" kind of behavior - all according to Mileu Zero material. But lets face it - at this time, the Imperium is relatively weak in the sense that it isn't all that large - it was a BIG pocket Empire. All the other pre-existing pocket empires were either slowly sinking into barbarism, or they were experiencing their own emergence from the long night. How many player characters do you know of, would say "NO!" if offered 10 times what their ships were worth if a world government offered to buy it from them? The express purpose of course being to reproduce the technology required to get into space and build their own space navy? Having a monopoly on ship building is not one of the things Cleon had working in his favor.
Having laid the groundwork above - here are my questions. You've already alluded to one set of things that had to be present in the treaties - that of mutual protection. But I honestly can't see this being "enough" of an incentive to join the Imperium. The current rulers had to have assurances that they themselves would either retain their political power already held, or that they'd get something MORE from the Imperium than they could get from their own world as it currently exists. Canon states that the Imperium does not (or can not?) intervene in the private affairs of worlds on their own world providing that a few specific sets of laws are adhered to. It was the price to join the club in that no world could allow outright slavery to exist. We all know that this can be circumvented by means of contracts - that a corporation could buy and sell contracts of labor if a signee signed away certain civil liberties for a price. In outward appearance it might not be slavery, but in effect it becomes slavery. But that's neither here nor there. Certain laws had to be agreed upon by worlds who desired to become a member of the Imperium.
What exactly was it that got those worlds to join up? Was it assurances that the Imperium would build a defense fleet so that worlds didn't have to? If so - how did the Imperium fund that fleet? Did it say "Ok, we'll tax you 2% of your extimated GDP" Did it say "Ok, we need 5,000 men for the Imperial armed forces - you pay their wages"? What did it do to actively entice non-member worlds into the fold. Clearly, it had to benefit the current rulers. It had to benefit them in a way that met their needs. Some rulers rule for the wealth aspect - some rule because they need to rule, or some variation or combination of both. Call it enlightened self-interest, or call it greed. The Imperium did SOMETHING right in bringing them in. As for the pirates with Nukes? That works well enough for worlds that couldn't defend themselves too well and were too low tech to amount to much. But for the higher tech worlds who could build their own system navy (without jump capabiilty, but effective in self-defense) - Pirates needed to be careful about where they hit, how often, and how badly... can't sheer a dead sheep so to speak.

So - reiterating: What was in those treaties in the beginning? Those are the basis for later worlds joining the Imperium once it got bigger. Once it reaches the present (depending on your campaign's version of present whether Classic Traveller, Mileu Zero, or the Virus Traveller), it could have changed from the beginning into something that approximates YOUR traveller universe.

Riddle: what do you feed a 500 lb canary? Answer: anything it wants!

Did the Imperium become a 500 lb canary and make demands on its member worlds such that the Imperium of your world does not look like the early Imperium? Is your Imperium a nation that uses past cases to build upon future law? If so - then the early years of the Imperium will formulate what the later years of the Imperium will look like. If not, then who cares what the early years of the imperium looks like - now is all that counts ;)

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your response. A good percentage of what you wrote makes sense. Here is a question for you...

If you were the leader of a world, and you wanted into the Imperium - what kinds of things do you want in your treaty?

As for Imperial Taxes
file_23.gif
lets say for the sake of argument, that the Imperium, in recognition of the fact that if you tax an economy too heavily - it either stagnates or dies outright, decides that the taxes of both the local government (your world's government) and the Imperium, may not exceed 40% of the Gross Domestic Product. Unfortunately for you - your citizens expect drinkable water, breathable air, transportation networks that work, etc. And to make matters worse? Your world government is at the moment, an unpopular dictatorship. You NEED to have a reasonably large military force to keep your laws and government in good working order.

How do you determine how much tax of your world belongs to you, and how much are you willing to pay as a geld to the Imperium?

Now, lets put the shoe on the other foot. You know that you yourself can build a private Navy of your own that would greatly deter piracy and/or other worlds from waging war upon you. You know that the money other Imperium worlds are paying to the Imperium - could be better spent beefing up your own defenses. You also know that you can make arrangements to become a client state to the Imperium such that it makes certain that its member worlds will not attack you. Why would you even consider paying 2% of your Gross Domestic Product knowing that the Imperium will only station 0.5% of your Gross Domestic Product in your system in a defensive manner - and allocate the remaining 1.5% amongst the less producing worlds for their defenses. Why would you even want to join such an alliance when you can remain neutral and keep that extra 2% for your own navy and private use?

file_23.gif

What I'm hammering at is that as the Imperium starts out, it can't act like a 500 lb canary. As it gets bigger, it can act like a 500 lb canary - but will it do so knowing that such behavior might push the worlds towards rebellion? And if it doesn't act like a 500 lb canary - what are the relationships between those worlds?
Think about it. How would the Federal Government justify the right of New Jersey to go to war with New York over the possession of the Statue of Liberty? The Imperium seems content to allow that kind of behavior! What if members of New York decide that they HATE having a democratic state constitution, and they decide "Hey, lets revolt against the State Governor and install our own Lord Governor - who must be from either the Rockerfeller Family, the Smith Family, or the Jones Family - the new age Aristocrats"?
The Imperium would seemingly permit governments to change within a world (or does it?) providing that the world remains an Imperial world. But if there is a treaty between a world and the Imperium - might they not have a provision in the treaty that states "Ok, we want a mutual defense treaty that if our government is ever under attack, that the Imperium will restore it" be a popular provision? If so - the Imperium has just agreed to intevene in local affairs. And because of that - it will require an army to restore those world governments that have been subverted or changed.
Oddly enough? Cleon the First did just THAT - he subverted the Sylean government to that of the Imperial Government. Is he going to make it so that his government can never be subverted? Is he going to make it so that member world governments can never be subverted?
file_23.gif

So many possible permutations here!

Hey Chris, reading onto your next post

You indicate things regarding human rights abuses. Just out of curiosity, would human rights abuses come under Imperial domain or under the domain of the ruling planet in question? Does the Imperium in your Universe have the right to intervene in local affairs where human rights abuses are rampant? If the Imperium can intervene, that means they have to have an intrument to intervene with right? And if it can open the door for local intervention on that issue, can a Noble with control over the Subsector Navy and Unified army intervene with a world that passes laws the Noble doesn't like? What if a world that is a democracy - turns into a royal pain with the laws they enact - to the extent that the Noble orders a hidden campaign of subversion of the Democracy - so that it is replaced by a government he likes better?

;)

You've already alluded to one set of things that had to be present in the treaties - that of mutual protection. But I honestly can't see this being "enough" of an incentive to join the Imperium. The current rulers had to have assurances that they themselves would either retain their political power already held, or that they'd get something MORE from the Imperium than they could get from their own world as it currently exists.
What exactly was it that got those worlds to join up? Was it assurances that the Imperium would build a defense fleet so that worlds didn't have to? If so - how did the Imperium fund that fleet? Did it say "Ok, we'll tax you 2% of your extimated GDP" Did it say "Ok, we need 5,000 men for the Imperial armed forces - you pay their wages"? What did it do to actively entice non-member worlds into the fold. Clearly, it had to benefit the current rulers. It had to benefit them in a way that met their needs. Some rulers rule for the wealth aspect - some rule because they need to rule, or some variation or combination of both. Call it enlightened self-interest, or call it greed. The Imperium did SOMETHING right in bringing them in. As for the pirates with Nukes? That works well enough for worlds that couldn't defend themselves too well and were too low tech to amount to much. But for the higher tech worlds who could build their own system navy (without jump capabiilty, but effective in self-defense) - Pirates needed to be careful about where they hit, how often, and how badly... can't sheer a dead sheep so to speak.
What do the rulers gain, apart from their neighbours ceasing to be their enemies, and becoming their trade partners?

Well, for starters, it meant that the rulers' trade fleets weren't attacked by pirates. I can't repeat that often enough. The rulers of the worlds/pocket empires that joined the Imperium gained access to a very large interstellar trade bloc - a massive pond in which they were quite large frogs. That was the "more" they got - a share of the loot from an interstellar empire/economy.

On the military thing: it is actually cheaper to contribute to the Imperial military than to arm yourself to the teeth against your neighbours. Why? Because your neighbours are contributing to the Imperial military too, and not building up their forces to attack you.

As for pirates: what makes you think that the pirates' battlefleets can't vaporise your navy, and then take anything they want from your world? Even if their fleets aren't that big, they can still cut off your trade - and that means all those merchant ships you've been building are being destroyed.

Note that I'm not talking about the kind of pirates that travel around in 400 ton armed merchants, but rather the kind who rule the pocket empire next door. They have a good reason for destroying your shipping - it leaves the market open for their ships.

If you think the Imperium is a lawless place - try the Long Night.

To summarise: the Imperium offered the worlds and pocket empires that joined it security, economic growth, and non-interference.

To those that refused to join it, it offered the opposite. Oh yeah. That's the part it preferred not to talk about.

That was the choice: survival, prosperity, respect and power - or the opposite.

Some more thoughts: the Imperium also no doubt was playing candidate worlds off against each other. Worlds that thought they could go it alone might have found that their neighbours were getting rich and fat from their deal with the Imperium. At some point, the competition would force them to the table. This could take centuries. Not coincidentally, centuries passed between the foundation of the Imperium and the Pacification Campaigns.

Salami tactics can work very well, sometimes.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your response. A good percentage of what you wrote makes sense. Here is a question for you...

If you were the leader of a world, and you wanted into the Imperium - what kinds of things do you want in your treaty?
I'd want to be appointed a noble in the new Imperium, with productive land on Capital and at least one other world. I'd want several incentives (large cash payments, fiancial instruments, interstellar yacts, gifts, etc.). I'd want to make sure the Imperium couldn't interfere in my world. I'd want that to be an unlimited right, but would probably realize the Imperium would negotiate several exceptions. I personally would want to minimize those exceptions. However, then I'd probably run into the Imperium's needs, and that it wouldn't want to surrender the basic minimum's it felt it needed to function as a government. At this point, I'd probably either decide not to join (if I were stupid and suicidal or megalomaniacal), or I would try and shake the Imperium down for more "incentives". Given the expense of war, I'm sure the Imperium lavished a whole bunch of "incentives" on the leaders of many of the worlds it eventually admitted.

As for Imperial Taxes
file_23.gif
lets say for the sake of argument, that the Imperium, in recognition of the fact that if you tax an economy too heavily - it either stagnates or dies outright, decides that the taxes of both the local government (your world's government) and the Imperium, may not exceed 40% of the Gross Domestic Product. Unfortunately for you - your citizens expect drinkable water, breathable air, transportation networks that work, etc. And to make matters worse? Your world government is at the moment, an unpopular dictatorship. You NEED to have a reasonably large military force to keep your laws and government in good working order.

How do you determine how much tax of your world belongs to you, and how much are you willing to pay as a geld to the Imperium?
I don't get to decide. At least IMTU. The tax rate is non-negotiable. 2% of GWP during peacetime, 4% of GWP during declared general war, with the MoT determining what my world's GWP was (there is some leeway on this, though not much), with arbitration and Noble Court remedies available should I feel dissatisfied with the MoT judgement (taking the MoT to court is the "leeway" I was speaking of).

The format of my government and the expense of it in various areas will not be of any concern to the Imperial Government in relation to the tax rate or the assessed GWP (unless taken to court, where the MoJ is unlikely to side with the world, or it makes it to Noble Court, and I've got an "inside track" with that Superior Noble, who will have to think long and hard about adjusting the Assessed GWP down, because that will adjust the Subsector and Sector budgets down; it's more likely the Superior Noble will give me a deal to send me "development" funds, i.e. kick something back; but that only if it was felt I really needed it to avoid world chaos, starvation due to governmental collapse, etc., or to actually improve conditions on world).

Now, lets put the shoe on the other foot. You know that you yourself can build a private Navy of your own that would greatly deter piracy and/or other worlds from waging war upon you. You know that the money other Imperium worlds are paying to the Imperium - could be better spent beefing up your own defenses. You also know that you can make arrangements to become a client state to the Imperium such that it makes certain that its member worlds will not attack you. Why would you even consider paying 2% of your Gross Domestic Product knowing that the Imperium will only station 0.5% of your Gross Domestic Product in your system in a defensive manner - and allocate the remaining 1.5% amongst the less producing worlds for their defenses. Why would you even want to join such an alliance when you can remain neutral and keep that extra 2% for your own navy and private use?
The trouble with this is, we're mixing two eras of discussion. The reasons many worlds joined up in the opening of Miliue 0 had more to do with the awesome Tech capabilities of the Imperium, it's enormous wealth (and the then-larger benefits of joining in trade), and its *apparently* superior Human Rights stance, backed up by an equally apparent excellent and relatively free and high standard of living on Capital.

And the later era. Imperial expansion has slowed because most of those worlds that would have readily joined the Imperium have already done so. The remainder are usually border worlds where there are lengthy histories of independence and opposition to outside rule, or foreign powers with interests (even if that interest is only in seeing the Imperium avoid expanding in that direction), and a sea-change in Imperial attitudes toward expansion, conquest, and the naked use of force following the Imperial Civil War. I bet there were wide spread analysis and reanalysis of that for centuries, all of which were pretty unkind to the Barracks Emperors (except for Arbellatra, who actually succeeded).

In the early Milieu 0 era, well, things were probably more open to negotiation, tax rates might have been whatever the Imperium could have secured. It would have been changed to a more Imperium-wide flat rate only many centuries later.

In any event, IMTU's modern era, each world has its Local Noble (Marquis or Baron) in charge of the first 66% of that 2% of Gross World Product. That 66% stays at home on the world for the Local Noble to use on behalf of that world. A big share goes off to the world's military, both ground and space. The rest goes off to various development efforts (infrastructure, disadvantaged spending, etc.) The Subsector Navy will also (except for poor Subsectors, who likley receive Sector support anyway) deploy forces to my system for patrol, more forces than I likely could create (unless I'm a very wealthy world) and of a higher TL, usually TL-12 or TL-13 (which means a lot back around Milieu 0). Further, the Sector Navy will be collecting taxes from across the Sector, and it if its a border Sector, will almost certainly receiving Imperial level funds. These Sector and Imperial funds amount to a great deal more military spending that any single world, even a High-Pop and High-Tech world could hope to produce. The defense benefits of joining the Imperium come at this level. Few are willing to challenge the Imperium when it has so many TL-15 battleship squadrons staring other nations down.

Trade benefits probably had something to do with it, too. Although I've never seen a specific list of what those benefits might be, my main guess is avoiding Imperial Import Duties. Oh, and in Milieu 0, technological uplift was a big selling point. I'm sure many worlds were raised up several TL points, and I'm equally sure that over the centuries, the process wasn't completed on most of them, and that several may have even fallen back.

file_23.gif

What I'm hammering at is that as the Imperium starts out, it can't act like a 500 lb canary. As it gets bigger, it can act like a 500 lb canary - but will it do so knowing that such behavior might push the worlds towards rebellion? And if it doesn't act like a 500 lb canary - what are the relationships between those worlds?
Think about it. How would the Federal Government justify the right of New Jersey to go to war with New York over the possession of the Statue of Liberty? The Imperium seems content to allow that kind of behavior! What if members of
This falls under the category of, "The Imperium is a Mighty Strange Place To Us 20th Century Folk." The Imperial Government doesn't *not care*, it rather studiously avoids getting involved in such matters because it would cost too much money to interfere, and because they literally have a different mindset about such matters. Standing by and watching people rip each other to pieces over their own disagreements is viewed as highly humanitarian, and a *good* thing. They literally see getting involved as *worse* than standing off to one side.

IMTU: this is tempered by two issues. One, is where the Imperium itself is assualted.

If the Imperium is acted against, this will not be tolerated. The degree of Imperial response is based on the degree of violation. Due to cost issues, the Imperium will almost always try to go after the guilty parties, if it has a glimmer as to who they are, and feels it can actually get at them. World-wide invasion and supression is going to be quite rare, a last resort, coming only after armed rebellion against the Imperium itself, or massive violations of MTU's Imperial Human Rights Accord.

If the Imperium foresees any of this coming down the pike, it will go out of its way to diffuse the situation. Just because the Imperium can't force it's ways upon Member World Governments for their strictly internal affairs, doesn't mean it can't send in diplomats to talk to people (especially when the signs are that the affair will go beyond the internal), and doesn't mean Intelligence Agents aren't keeping an eye on things.

Note that IMTU, worlds that have been shown to have violated their Limited Member World Autonomy (which includes violations of the Imperial Human Rights Accord) are placed on a multi-step process path to correct the violations. World invasion by the Imperium is dead last, and a bunch of Imperial Bureaucracts and Intelligence staffers and agents will be losing their jobs if the situation is reduced to this sorry state of affairs.

As for the comparison between New York and New Jersey, well, don't forget, that in the OTU, the Rules of War are unwritten, and that if things got "bad", the Imperium can step in under the RoW and put a stop to it; most warring parties know about this, and most warring parties chose to engage in "limited war" due to this to avoid Imperial entaglements.

MTU only permits this sort of conflict on-world (although it allows for troops to be moved between the stars under certain observed circumstances), it does not, under any circumstances, allow Member Worlds to conduct any type of naval engagements in space (inside or outside the world's Inherent Defense Zone) for the purpose of internal conflict (only for self-defense; an offending Member World Government can get in quite a bit of hot water over this).

The part (immediately below) about New Yorkers rebelling against the state of New York and set up a aristrocratic dynasty . . . New York is a part of the USA, and the state is under the US Constitution, not a Member World Government of the Third Imperium. It's act would be blantantly illegal under the USA Government, but would be totally legal under the Third Imperium.
That is the difference. And if under the Third Imperium, I hope they succeed, because if they don't, they can become convicted criminals and sentenced to death (MTU's Imperial Human Rights Accord does not protect convicted criminals, although the Justice Entitlement might eventually be used to prove a world was falsely convicting people under its own laws, that path is quite difficult to take and prove).

New York decide that they HATE having a democratic state constitution, and they decide "Hey, lets revolt against the State Governor and install our own Lord Governor - who must be from either the Rockerfeller Family, the Smith Family, or the Jones Family - the new age Aristocrats"?
The Imperium would seemingly permit governments to change within a world (or does it?) providing that the world remains an Imperial world. But if
More importantly, so long as that government continues to pony up its taxes.

there is a treaty between a world and the Imperium - might they not have a provision in the treaty that states "Ok, we want a mutual defense treaty that if our government is ever under attack, that the Imperium will restore it" be a popular provision? If so - the Imperium has just agreed to intevene in local affairs. And because of that - it will require an army to restore those world governments that have been subverted or changed.
Oddly enough? Cleon the First did just THAT - he subverted the Sylean government to that of the Imperial Government. Is he going to make it so that his government can never be subverted? Is he going to make it so that member world governments can never be subverted?
file_23.gif

So many possible permutations here!
Where to begin?

First, the Imperium does not guarantee to restore the government of any world should that government fall for any reason. Now, if a Member World Government falls due to outside invasion, and the Imperium rushes in and kicks the invader out, it may chose to set up the old government again, but then again, it might not.

Hmmm, I'd never really thought it over, though.

My guess is that as long as the Member World Governement was in good standing with the Imperium (was paying its taxes and not generating terrorist activity against the Imperium), rescuing forces would make moves to restore the previous government, as long as it could. It's probably a part of standing Navy orders on retaking lost worlds. If there is nothing of the previous government to restore, then something else will have to be done.

The Imperium probably views internal rebellion differently than external assault. It will interevene only if the RoW are violated, or if taxes stop flowing. Every rebel has got to realize that a sucessful rebellion must involve seizing the bank accounts of the oppressor and continuing payments to the Imperium.

It strikes me that some Red Zone worlds are probably worlds where rebellions occured, the rebels repudiated their Imperial Allegiance, and the Imperium decided there was too little to gain by invading and brining them back into the fold, so instead they cut them off completely. After a few centuries of being isolated, the world is going to likely be highly weakened (as in what happened to most worlds during the Long Night), the original causes of the rebellion will have been forgotten or distorted highly, the Imperium itself may well be a distant memory (especially with Imperial Interstellar Intelligence agents inserted on world going around removing negative historic references whenever possible, and seeding rumors that it was the evil local government that caused contact with the benevolent Imperium to have been cut off).

Later, the world can be reintroduced back into the fold, after centuries of gradual covert psycho-prop conditioning.

As for Cleon I, he elevated himself to Emperor and the Sylean Federation (one whose prime position, occupided by Cleon, was that of Hereditary President of the Grand Senate, and so was only a little less than Emperor anyway) to Empire. I think it was clear from the beginning that any action against the throne was treasonous inssurrection, punishable by death. The only mitigation that could be had from such a course of action would be to win. I'm sure Cleon I would have acknowledged, could he have been pinned down in coversation, that should someone rebel, and succeed, then his personal objection would likely not matter, since he would be dead (and if he remained alive, the perpetrators of the rebellion might well live to regret such an error).

Some more thoughts: the Imperium also no doubt was playing candidate worlds off against each other. Worlds that thought they could go it alone might have found that their neighbours were getting rich and fat from their deal with the Imperium. At some point, the competition would force them to the table. This could take centuries. Not coincidentally, centuries passed between the foundation of the Imperium and the Pacification Campaigns.

Salami tactics can work very well, sometimes.
Yes, I completely agree with this. When one world saw what was happening to the others (some getting fat off joining, others getting crushed by refusing), this tended to tip their hand, and it tipped it most often toward joining (IMTU).

Hey Chris, reading onto your next post

You indicate things regarding human rights abuses. Just out of curiosity, would human rights abuses come under Imperial domain or under the domain of the ruling planet in question? Does the Imperium in your Universe have the right to intervene in local affairs where human rights abuses are rampant? If the Imperium can intervene, that means they have to have an intrument to intervene with right? And if it can open the door for local intervention on that issue, can a Noble with control over the Subsector Navy and Unified army intervene with a world that passes laws the Noble doesn't like? What if a world that is a democracy - turns into a royal pain with the laws they enact - to the extent that the Noble orders a hidden campaign of subversion of the Democracy - so that it is replaced by a government he likes better?

;)
I originally wrote out the Imperial Human Rights Accord, and later incorporated it as part of the overall Justice Entitlement.

JUSTICE ENTITLEMENT:

A set of laws created at the First Moot by Moot Edict. It defines the minimum standards by which Imperial Citizens must be treated by both the Imperial Government and by Member World Governments.
The basic tenets are:
Freedom from Fear or Slavery (the Imperial Human Rights Accord)
Freedom from Falsehood (the Imperial Rules of Evidence, plus general due process of law, including reasonable times to court appearances, and no trumped up criminal charges or kangaroo courts; by governments (Imperial or local)).
Freedom of Movement (all Imperial Citizens must be allowed to travel between the worlds of the Imperium, but possessing the monetary means to do so is up to the individual).

Of course, the Imperium is not a perfect place, and not every Imperial Citizen receives access to every right in this list to the full letter of the law at all times. However, the Imperium takes these various rights very seriously. I3, the Domestic Oversight branch of ISS (one of its primary missions), the Imperial Marshals, and the Imperial Security Marshals are all responsible for monitoring for and reporting on abuses where the above rights are denied to anyone (though the Imperial Security Marshals are far too few to do much monitoring). The Imperial Security Marshals are responsible for investigating, apprehending, and taking into custody those who violate these rights. Also, Imperial Citizens may report violations themselves, and this is the true source of most monitoring in the Imperium.
Each Imperial Citizen taken into custody by their local government must be allowed to file a complaint (stating that their rights under the Justice Entitlement are being violated) under the above laws. Governments failing to do so may face serious punishment by Imperial forces. However, the local noble (usually a Margrave or Baron), Justicar, or MoJ judge usually takes a dim view of Imperial Citizens filing frivolous claims, and most will impose stiff fines ranging from Cr500 to 5% of net worth when discovering such claims. Claims made solely to delay the local trial often carry further penalties of one to five years extra prison time. Imperial Security Marshals investigate all such claims. However, for claims made in honesty and found to be true, remedies are available, mostly in the form of a removal of the accused from local custody, and an Imperial court order to vacate charges. Member World Governments who pursue harassing an individual after such a court order are asking for serious trouble in the form of outside intervention in their affairs.

IMPERIAL HUMAN RIGHTS ACCORD:

Cleon I created these laws in cooperation with the First Moot. Cleon I wanted to attract new member worlds and allay the fears of potential Imperial Citizens that the Imperium was not merely the tool of powerful individuals.
The most basic feature is the law that states, “No Imperial Citizen may be made to face death or assault through any means due to the arbitrary decision of another.” In order to join the Imperium, even those governments with the most militant and fanatical bents were forced to agree to this simple term (violence against their citizenry had to stop). Even the Emperor may not arbitrarily violate this law.
Extensive Imperial Laws describe the rules under which any Imperial Citizen may be declared a Threat or Security Risk to the Imperium. The Imperial Rules of Evidence under Imperial Law applies for such considerations. Although an Emperor may directly decide to make an exception to the Rules of Evidence, and has even delegated this authority to several hundred others scattered across the Imperium, every single exception must be fully documented and communicated back to Capital/Core and justified before the Imperial Security Court (made up of select judges from the Ministry of Justice). Failure to follow these rules, even for the Emperor, can mean removal from office and potential incarceration, though doing so to the Emperor would probably require the concerted effort of pressure from a considerable majority of the Imperial Government, and even then a power struggle and possible civil war might ensue; though no incident of this nature has ever occurred to a noble of higher than Baron rank. The Imperial Security Court serves as oversight to make sure that abuses of power do not occur, either in the bypassing of the Imperial Rules of Evidence or in the Imperial Human Rights Accord. The Imperial Secret Service’s various branches hold primary responsibility for guarding against such abuses, though I3, the Imperial Marshals, and indeed the nobles themselves also bear the same responsibility. If any member of the four aforementioned groups fails to report such violations, they themselves have committed a crime itself in the form of aiding and abetting other criminals.
Reports of abuse are then forwarded to the local branch office of Imperial Security Court, which then decides upon appropriate corrective measures, potentially ordering the Imperial Security Marshals into action.

-----------------

Yes, there is some slight contradiction over the roles of ISS and the Imperial Security Marshals as I've written it. I'm still thinking of which way to resolve the differences in what I wrote.

Also remember that IMTU, each Member World Government has already agreed to its Membership Charter, and a part of that is compliance with Limited Member World Autonomy (LMWA). The Member World Government is independent and uninterfered with only if it complies with LMWA. If LMWA is violated, then it automatically gives up its right to autonomy, and the Imperium may interfere in whatever way it sees fit (although there are long standing procedures of gradual escalation in the matter, depending on the nature of the violation of LMWA).

Also, IMTU, in the case of LMWA violations, the Local Noble (Marquis or Baron), is going to be in hot water with the Subsector Duke (and quite possible higher up, as well). A serious portion of the Local Noble's duties is to ensure that the Member World Government willfully complies with LMWA. Part of the 66% of the 2% of the GWP is used by the Local Noble to influence these matters (bribes, directed development in the correct areas, etc.)

The basic tenets are:
this could be construed to outlaw capitalism and debt. are indenturement or debtor's prisons allowed? are there any property rights tenets? are governments allowed to claim an exclusive right to all property?
Freedom from Falsehood (the Imperial Rules of Evidence, plus general due process of law, including reasonable times to court appearances, and no trumped up criminal charges or kangaroo courts; by governments (Imperial or local))
how would the present situation with Yukos in Russia be viewed?
Freedom of Movement (all Imperial Citizens must be allowed to travel between the worlds of the Imperium, but possessing the monetary means to do so is up to the individual).
does this mean that every planet must receive every imperial citizen who arrives upon its surface?

Originally posted by flykiller:

The basic tenets are:
this could be construed to outlaw capitalism and debt. are indenturement or debtor's prisons allowed? are there any property rights tenets? are governments allowed to claim an exclusive right to all property?
</font>[/QUOTE]I suppose it could be construed in those ways. But it isn't. A MoT Judge or Noble holding Court would dismiss the suggestion, and that would be that.

Sometimes, it's good to be GM.
file_23.gif

Also, those are cut and pastes from a document I've been writing, which has yet to be updated as a result of various things I've read on this very thread (notably a post by alanb a while back).

I haven’t answered any of the property rights questions, sorry.

Freedom from Falsehood (the Imperial Rules of Evidence, plus general due process of law, including reasonable times to court appearances, and no trumped up criminal charges or kangaroo courts; by governments (Imperial or local))
how would the present situation with Yukos in Russia be viewed?
</font>[/QUOTE]Yukos? The Russion Oil company? The tax evasion problem (which I only looked up right now)? Huh. Individual companies on Member Worlds wouldn’t owe taxes to the Imperium, the Imperium wouldn’t go after them. It would be up to the Member World Government to go after them if they wanted that company’s money to be a part of their tax base.

As for whether it was fair or not, corporate officers under accusation by the Member World Government could file complaints about unfair treatment under the Justice Entitlement. If they were wrong, their MoT Judge or Local Noble (or his appointed Justicar handling such matters) would fry . . . uh, ur, fine them, and possibly add additional jail time to their sentence.

Let’s say that the Russian company was punitively attacked by the government, and that the corporate officers were blameless, and have really paid all taxes. The Imperial Security Marshals who showed up (with forensic accountants in tow, along with TL-15 accountancy fraud pattern detection software to check on both the company’s and government’s books) would investigate, although that might take two to three months to begin. It would probably be a mess. The government, knowing the ISM was coming, would attempt to destroy evidence as neatly as possible to avoid the ISM rendering a judgment against them. The ISM, not being stupid, would probably figure out that evidence was destroyed. If that was all that was determined, the Member World Government might get seriously fined, and it’s likely a few people would lose their positions. If the truth behind it all was determined (say, they found some evidence after all that wasn’t destroyed), the corporate officers would be turned lose with vacated charges. What would happen with the Member World Government would be worked out in negotiations between them and the Subsector Duke. It’s likely that a bunch of government officials would have to resign and face Imperial charges of obstruction of justice and violation of the Justice Entitlement. It all depends on what was found.

If government officials refused to cooperate in any stage of the process, gradually higher levels of force would be called in. Because the Imperium can bring, in one spot, so much force to bear, few situations ever get this far. Most MWG’s go out of their way to obey their own laws and obey the Justice Entitlement.

MTU has far fewer highly isolationist and oppressive and just plain nasty governments than is canon.

If we’re not talking about the Russian Oil company, or its tax problems, then I missed the topic of the question completely.

does this mean that every planet must receive every imperial citizen who arrives upon its surface?
</font>[/QUOTE]No. Member World Governments must allow their citizens to depart if they have the financial means to do so. They do not have to admit everyone who arrives (although, I hadn’t thought about it, I’ll say they do have to allow people who left originally to return; questions of marriages, acquisition of sophont dependents by various means, etc., are all questions I haven’t thought of yet, much less answered).

Back