• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

inhabited rogue planet

Hi
How about making the planet a moon of a Brown Dwarf ? You could use the heat from the Dwarf and tidal forces to heat it up some more.

Like Aurore from 2300AD?

If you're interested in this idea and were not already aware of it, I strongly recommend the Aurore Sourcebook. One of the best tabletop RPG sourcebooks ever, in my opinion.

Like Aurore from 2300AD?

If you're interested in this idea and were not already aware of it, I strongly recommend the Aurore Sourcebook. One of the best tabletop RPG sourcebooks ever, in my opinion.

Thanks. I may poke about for a cheap used copy.

2300 AD/Traveller 2300 is one of those games I might have liked had I played it, but I've only seen a copy of the rules, once and then briefly. I recall the ads from Dragon Magazine.

There are very few hard SF games out there, I think.

Hi
You may also want to look at "Far Horizon" by Zozer Games it has a rogue planet in it but it's smaller then yours about Mars size (X411000-0).

One can project the likelihood of Rogue planets by the frequency of stars of various masses. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_classification
On the chart for every Gx V star mass 0.8 to 1.04 M⊙, there is twice as many Kx V stars 0.8 to 0.45 M⊙, and 10 times the number of Mx V stars 0.45 to 0.08 M⊙. Apparently if you go down to one third the mass of the Sun, you get 10 times as many stars, that is about 333 Jupiter masses, go down to 111 jupiters and its 100 times as many, and you can get 1000 times as many brown dwarfs of 37 solar masses, 10,000 as many 10 jupiter mass rogue planets, go to 3 jupiters and you can have 100,000 as many, and you haven 1,000,000 jupiters for every Sunlike star, the nearest Jupiter is probably just 27 light days away, the nearest rogue Saturn is around 12.7 light days away, this is about 100 Earth masses and it could have a 1g gravity in its atmosphere. Rogue gas Giants would make excellent refueling stops, you just have to find one. With a gravity vehicle, you can float in the atmosphere indefinitely and run a fusion reactor on its atmosphere, an excellent hiding spot for pirates.

the nearest Jupiter is probably just 27 light days away, the nearest rogue Saturn is around 12.7 light days away, this is about 100 Earth masses and it could have a 1g gravity in its atmosphere.

Possibly. However with that many large masses that close to earth I think we'd encounter gravitic lensing from them

Possibly. However with that many large masses that close to earth I think we'd encounter gravitic lensing from them
Every 500 light seconds is an astronomical unit. 10 light minutes is 600 light seconds, a light hour is 3600 light seconds, about 7.2 au. A light day is 24 times 7.2 au or 172.8 au, and 12.7 times that number is 2195 au, not particularly close on the scale of the Solar system.

Every 500 light seconds is an astronomical unit. 10 light minutes is 600 light seconds, a light hour is 3600 light seconds, about 7.2 au. A light day is 24 times 7.2 au or 172.8 au, and 12.7 times that number is 2195 au, not particularly close on the scale of the Solar system.

I am aware of basic astronomy and what the distances are. The equipment we are using to examine the closest stars to us That is why I made the comment I did.

One can project the likelihood of Rogue planets by the frequency of stars of various masses. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_classification
On the chart for every Gx V star mass 0.8 to 1.04 M⊙, there is twice as many Kx V stars 0.8 to 0.45 M⊙, and 10 times the number of Mx V stars 0.45 to 0.08 M⊙. Apparently if you go down to one third the mass of the Sun, you get 10 times as many stars, that is about 333 Jupiter masses, go down to 111 jupiters and its 100 times as many, and you can get 1000 times as many brown dwarfs of [33 jjupiter] masses, 10,000 as many 10 jupiter mass rogue planets, go to 3 jupiters and you can have 100,000 as many, and you haven 1,000,000 jupiters for every Sunlike star...
There was a study that searched for microlensing events in Andromeda to set an upper limit to the number of nonluminous bodies of brown dwarf or jupiter size range. They only detected a handful of events, far fewer than anticipated. I would assume they and other astronomers are looking at their assumptions and protocols.

The smaller Ms are actually very hard to detect, and may not be as numerous as the above analysis assumes. The distribution curve may flatten around 0.3 M⊙ and even drop off, resulting in many fewer M7+ and very few brown dwarf bodies.

However, for a game I'd probably make the curve whatever I want. I'd definitely allow for rare "stellar" systems with a BD primary. A BD system might even have rocky bodies, since deuterium fusion could provide a weak defrost cycle, and a tide-locked hab zone from residual heat. BDs with nothing more than a mini-Oort would be a bit more frequent, while "naked" BDs that were likely ejected from a larger star system would be a bit more numerous.

There was a study that searched for microlensing events in Andromeda to set an upper limit to the number of nonluminous bodies of brown dwarf or jupiter size range. They only detected a handful of events, far fewer than anticipated. I would assume they and other astronomers are looking at their assumptions and protocols.

The smaller Ms are actually very hard to detect, and may not be as numerous as the above analysis assumes. The distribution curve may flatten around 0.3 M⊙ and even drop off, resulting in many fewer M7+ and very few brown dwarf bodies.

However, for a game I'd probably make the curve whatever I want. I'd definitely allow for rare "stellar" systems with a BD primary. A BD system might even have rocky bodies, since deuterium fusion could provide a weak defrost cycle, and a tide-locked hab zone from residual heat. BDs with nothing more than a mini-Oort would be a bit more frequent, while "naked" BDs that were likely ejected from a larger star system would be a bit more numerous.

Sounds correct and some good parameters for in game.

images

Back