• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

It's not Traveller? OK, Why not??

Chill, Mal

It's all in good Traveller fun.

Let the esoterics continue...

Shaman, that was kind of the answer I was looking for. I wasn't sure if anybody had caught on or not.

Please, all, carry on ;)

I just got here from many month's absence, and have been catching up for a day or two.

*sigh*

[/Engage Irony Drive]

Joe: "Hey, I'm playing this great hard core science fiction game, it's really fun, especially since I can't leave my home solar system, in less than a real-time year."

Fred: That's grea- wait, what? You can take 6 Gees during the trip? What character class are you? Flying Strawberry Jam?"

Joe: Yeah! We can't move stuff around with our minds, either! No places to learn any of that, no Jedi Acadmies, no Vulcan monasteries, no Psionic Institutes!

Fred: Man. What about swords? Can I have an energy sword?

Joe: Huh, well that's all Hollywood crap. I mean, most of that stuff - Gee, haven't you ever read any Physics books?!

Fred: No! Woot! I want to go to a place like Tattoine. Or Jack Vance's Big Planet. Or Trantor.

Joe: Man. Sorry for you. You need to go off in your corner and play 30 year old Traveller. I'll see you around when you've seen the light. Oh yeah, it travels at 186,282 miles per second. In Vacuum.

[/Disengage Irony Drive]

Demonstrate to anyone, why the game would be better if minor changes were made to make it based more on how things actually work, in real life.

It's a game. Supposed to be fun, says so right there on the label. Adventures among 10,000 worlds. Not just the one or the nine or the however many number it is this week.

Win me over. Force me to burn 5 crates of Traveller materials in disgust and loathing, because I've been clueless, and misled by the Forces of Darkness, slinking around the Temples of GDW, all these years.

If anyone out there can design a system that both realistic, AND is more fun than what we have in Traveller, and I swear, I'll buy it, because it will be well worth the 50.00+ cover price.

I see pages of "discussions", and "debate", but no .pdf or hardcover.

You claim:

"It'd be better because that's how things actually work!. Things would make more sense then, and not conflict because it was randomly thrown together."

How they work? You mean like Dragon's breath and Magic? Jump Drive, and Black Globes? Clarke's Technology as Magic? How DOES that work?

"I'm not sure I understand the fear that people have of what the game would be if it was made more realistic."

Whoah, I thought you meant Ultra Realistic. You mean, slightly realistic enough for you, but retaining and discarding the elements you wish. Right? And call it Traveller as a whole?

Go forth, and write it. It will either make you money, or fail.

"The fact that Hivers are big starfish or Aslan are cat-like isn't the thing that makes them cool. "

Wrong. Your word. You like to use it a lot on others.

Here's a clue: Talking cats that fly spaceships rock. Big starfish with Guns that wave their limbs to talk rock harder.

"By analogy, I don't think the fact that Planet X orbits a blue supergiant or a binary star or a red dwarf or whatever is what's making it interesting from a game perspective..."

Wrong. It's all about the flavor.

I see pages of "discussions", and "debate", but no .pdf or hardcover
Two published JTAS articles ("Brown Dwarfs" and "Interstellar Wanderers" if you're curious), actually. Plus the world descriptions in the GT Sword Worlds book. Oh, and also co-author on SJG's Transhuman Space: Under Pressure (in which I wrote the realistic extraterretrial oceans chapter, though yes we were wrong about Titan). That enough for you?

The Sword Worlds book is a prime example of what I'm talking about though, I don't think the more realistic physical descriptions in there (and it took a lot of fiddling to get them to work, BTW) made the what's presented in the book any less fun or exciting at all.

But hey, if you want to believe that realism automatically means "all fun must be crushed out of the game", then that's up to you. That really isn't true at all though - realistic settings can be a lot of fun indeed, but to claim that to have fun you MUST have energy swords, or blue supergiants or nonsensical aliens, or anything else like that is as ridiculous as claiming that "realism destroys all fun".

It doesn't seem to me like more realism "crushes the fun" it just destroys the imaginative, storytelling aspects that are Space Opera, by definition.

I don't recall ever telling anyone that they're playing their games wrong if they're not doing it realistically and shouldn't be enjoying themselves if they do that.
I personally need Blue Giant Stars, and Laser Pistols and Jump Drive. Space Empires, and huge ships with a hundred guns. Because going to the store for a pack of cigarettes in West Ohio is just. not. thrilling. epic. adventure.

"It's not Traveller, why not?"
Traveller is whatever Marc Miller says it is. Regardless of anyone's feelings about it.

There's your answer. Here are some more:

If it doesn't allow Jump, it isn't Traveller.

If it doesn't allow for Felinoid or Wolfoid aliens, it's not Traveller.

I recall years ago, when "Real Science" said Gas Giants close in to a solar primary were "Impossible". Damn that Hubble telescope for it's hubris. Maybe a Traveller player designed it.

Traveller is not real science. Some aspects of it are fanciful, imaginary, and wholly fictional, or story elements.

Traveller players and referees who (please read closely) 'Enjoy the game as printed, in its various versions' know that, from the start.

Other people play something else, or start their own game company.

Trilling adventures. Deadly encounters. Imaginative worlds, based on well known authors of speculative science fiction.

If Traveller needs fixed, fix it in it's entirety, submit it as T5.5, have it be instantly recognized for its merit, and become everyone's hero, or write a "realistic" game system that rivals it.

If it's better than Traveller, or otherwise useful, I'll buy it, as a reference work, to add to my other shelves of sfrpg material.

I don't think the problem is so much about realism as its about OTU 'stuff' often not making reasonable sense ( like economics and airless 500km diameter rockballs with no water or atmosphere having populations in the billions...too often )

to me, such things form the foundation of the setting...if they aren't correct to at least the casual glance..the rest of the setting will be increasingly flawed and thus increasingly unbeleivable.

My personal hatred is for reactionless thrust and the fact that grav tech destroys other forms of transportation ( with grav tech, how can there be gunfights on top of burning zeppelins or cutlass duels on top of freight trains speeding through blizzards. )

it is for this reason that I mostly ignore OTU, which didn't really exist at all when I first started playing the game.

< I have to admit that these days, I mostly play *with* the game >

Originally posted by Ishmael James:
I don't think the problem is so much about realism as its about OTU 'stuff' often not making reasonable sense
Nail on the head. I think people are confusing 'realisn' with 'real life' when they react so negatively to the idea.

Maybe 'internal realism' is a better term to use?

I like to come up with explanations that "might" fit the weird results the dice I use to generate world give me. If I can't by any stretch, make a concept fit, I do, in fact modify it towards believability.

500km diameter rockballs with no water or atmosphere having populations in the billions.

I'm assuming there are no heavy metals, since it's a rocky core. Okay so mining for heavier metals is out. But the moon's crust has lithium, maybe some kind of lithium mine, hollowed out, or it's a gigantic sector hospital / military base. Maybe a significant portion is used for treating the toughest Bipolar cases in the sector, or perhaps a low Gee shipyard, depending on what else is in the system.

Yeah, stretching it, surely, but for me, that's part of the fun, explaining the anomalies.

I'm not reacting negatively to the "Realism" per se, it's in the way that the message is couched... "I'm right, your wrong, and My Own Brand of Realism to my Specifications should be Traveller. For Everyone."

That's how it comes off, at least to me.

I figure I paid for the game, let me play it. Silly, and nonsensical pulpish s-f or not, as I choose. But please don't mandate it for me.

I really cannot be held responsible for people reading things into what I say that aren't there.

I've made it abundantly clear here, over and over, that I'm really not interested in telling anyone how to enjoy their games. I asked a specific question, and then certain people took that to mean that I'm saying everyone else is wrong and that I'm trying to impose my gaming style on everyone. Which it utter BS.

Merxiless: I have no problem trying to explain anomolies, but with the way the rules were originally written, there seem to be so many 'anomolies' that they really aren't anomolous anymore. For me at least, it causes the overall setting not make sense. It also brings economic issues into play...for that rockball..where is the food coming from? I can't sit well with "hydroponic farms" all the time...or that "ubunfdant fusion power makes everything possible"...or " the tech is more advanced than we presently know about "

As for " is it Traveller?"...of course it is!...every last incarnation of the game regardless of the style of play is still Traveller. There is more to Trav than the OTU ( which truly exists for only one person ).

The cool thing about this game is that most of what others use or invent for their own game can be used in other's games regardless of the style of play.

Thats the beauty of it..the original CT was universal...a toolbox to build any universe the players could imagine. To try to force it all into a single setting or else be labelled 'heretic' is ludicrous.

this is more about what style of play than about anything else.

<--- heretic and proud of it

If these critiques undermine your confidence in the tools in Traveller, that means you're ultimately unhappy with the tools you have - otherwise you wouldn't care about the criticism.
It's not criticism of the game, it is calling people who are happy with it Obsessive, and [insert past posts by Malenfant here].

You seem to be blaming other people for pointing out problems that you'd either consciously ignored or not considered before.
The problem that I see is not that I have not examined Traveller canon in depth, and found it wanting. I don't believe that. Some of the planets are off. Maybe a lot of the Stars generated with Book 6 Scouts v1.0 are way off.
I consciously choose to ignore these things.

As a referee of my game, that's my perogative.

Planetary systems with white dwarfs. Binary systems with a close orbit.

My problem with your approach is that in this quest for "Realism" it will remove some or all of the imaginative elements that are a core foundation of my game.

I in fact do not want it to be 100% correct according to modern theories of astrophysics. It's a game. My players don't care. For them, it is the visual, the story, the action. If I want to worry about what lies beneath Titan, I'll make it up, and be happy. Period, end of story.

You make the stand that Realism will improve it. For all. But you are also acting as the person that will choose where that goes. It's not your responsibility. Your vote is one of a group. As is mine.

You have generated a more "realistic" planetary generation system. Some have adopted it. Grand.

I like the one that I have written myself, but I am in no position to try to make it "official," nor suggest is is "better" for anyone other than myself, and my group.

On the one hand Malenfant, you say "you do not tell anyone how to run Traveller." On the other hand, to you, people that are not willing to look at Traveller are aging guys with "heads up their arse"; Obsessive hold-outs to a dead game that needs to be brought up to modern marketing standards.

Your insulting tone makes it impossible for me, personally, to take anything that you have to offer to the community, not matter how well backed up by heavily researched science.

Seriously, no matter how many JTAS articles you've done, or what chapters of what publications you've worked on, give your words weight in my book, any more.

Go off, and rewrite Barsoom, Dejah thoris, Stories about Venus that have rain clouds and jungles. They are part and parcel of What Brought us here from the Pulps.

Why is that SUCH a problem for you to understand?

Originally posted by Merxiless:
It's not criticism of the game, it is calling people who are happy with it Obsessive
Which I've never done. I have never made a link between "people who are happy with Traveller" and "obsessive people". Those are not connected at all.

I consciously choose to ignore these things.
OK, but you do realise those issues are still there whether you ignore them or not.

My problem with your approach is that in this quest for "Realism" it will remove some or all of the imaginative elements that are a core foundation of my game.
Will it though? That's what I'm asking. Is having a Regina orbit a close binary when that can't really be the case that much of a 'core foundation' to your game that it falls apart completely if that is taken away? The fact that we replace two stars - the smaller of which isn't even visible at all from Regina in the glare of Lusor - with one just causes the whole thing to collapse does it? Really? I don't think it is at all.

I in fact do not want it to be 100% correct according to modern theories of astrophysics. It's a game. My players don't care. For them, it is the visual, the story, the action. If I want to worry about what lies beneath Titan, I'll make it up, and be happy. Period, end of story.
That's fine. Enjoying what you play is what matters, I've never said anything to the contrary.

You make the stand that Realism will improve it.
I'm saying that from experience. I can look at just a UWP and a star type and that can tell me a hell of a lot about the history of the system and what the planets on it are like. It is possible to get a LOT of supplemental information from what is provided if you know how to do it. Sure, most of it will be "chrome" (as mentioned on that thread), but it also gives you a lot of stuff to play with that you hadn't realised before.

For example, there's a secondary star in a near orbit in the system. As it turns out, in some cases that can pump the eccentricity and/or the inclination of planetary orbits further in. That gives you climate cycles to play with that would seriously influence the evolution of life on the planet. Sometimes those cycles are short enough that they'd be noticeable on a historical timescale, so maybe a colony established a few thousand years ago when the planet was in a nice circular orbit is now finding itself enduring long periods of deep freeze and short blistering summers as the planet's orbit is stretched out. Makes the place a bit more interesting, and you have a backup of saying "this really could happen" rather than just plucking some random thing out of the air that may or may not make any sense or be consistent with the environment.

Or even if none of that happens and you just have everything in roughly circular orbits, have you thought how much light and warmth that other star would provide? It might be bright enough to seriously affect daily cycles of life on the planet. It could just be a bright star in the sky (like Venus), or be bright enough to cast shadows and to see by at night (like the full moon), or it could be so bright that it causes significant scattering in the sky and basically turns night into day, in which case night would only truly fall when both stars rise and set at similar times. That could enormously influence life on the planet, not to mention ruling out such things as "waiting for when it's dark before we go sneak around that camp" and thus causing players to think of other ways to be subtle.

All of this just from stopping and thinking about how things would really be on these alien worlds, instead of just throwing random ideas together to make an inconsistent mess. Think of the realistic consequences of things and suddenly you see them in a new light.

Now I'm sure you could argue that it's too much effort and that it stops you from doing "cool stuff that could be fun" but I've not seen that to be the case. More often than not, thinking realistically actually creates new situations (that are also fun) that you most likely hadn't even considered before.

On the one hand Malenfant, you say "you do not tell anyone how to run Traveller." On the other hand, to you, people that are not willing to look at Traveller are aging guys with "heads up their arse"; Obsessive hold-outs to a dead game that needs to be brought up to modern marketing standards.
Again, I have never made that connection at all, you just did that. My "heads up their arses" comment referred to people who think that what they believe about the popularity of the game in the RPG market and what they think it can do in the future if it continues on its current path takes precendence over the cold, hard facts of the current RPG market. It has nothing to do with how they play their games at all.

Your insulting tone makes it impossible for me, personally, to take anything that you have to offer to the community, not matter how well backed up by heavily researched science.
Then that's your loss. Personally I'm primarily interested in the message rather than the messenger.

Go off, and rewrite Barsoom, Dejah thoris, Stories about Venus that have rain clouds and jungles. They are part and parcel of What Brought us here from the Pulps.
I've no intention of doing that at all, because those are Space Opera or Pulp. They're not even remotely supposed to be realistic in any way at all, and to rewrite them would just destroy what makes them unique.

The problem here really is again Traveller's schizophrenia. With GURPS Space or Star HERO you had clearly divided options that could let you play Space Opera/Space Fantasy or Hard/Realistic SF. Nobody would argue that someone running a Space Opera using GURPS Space is "playing it wrong"... but Traveller never really made that distinction. It gave us Space Opera-like worldgen in Book 3, and then threw a hard-sf system at us in Book 6 and expected the two to co-exist. And later editions of the game have only propagated that contradiction - MT and TNE and GT felt more hard sf, while T4 and maybe T20 felt more space opera. But the problem is that you can't really have a single setting be both at once.

So we get people saying it's supposed to be space opera so realism doesn't matter, and we get people saying it's supposed to be hard-sf and so realism does matter. All I'm saying here is that neither is really pivotal to defining Traveller though - you can add or remove some realistic or unrealistic elements to your settings and it doesn't really change the game all that much.

Originally posted by Malenfant:

So we get people saying it's supposed to be space opera so realism doesn't matter, and we get people saying it's supposed to be hard-sf and so realism does matter. All I'm saying here is that neither is really pivotal to defining Traveller though - you can add or remove some realistic or unrealistic elements to your settings and it doesn't really change the game all that much.
I went with GURPS Space and Ultra-Tech to add chrome to what I felt was a very vanilla setting. Found out that GT author David Pulver added a lot of that too. BITS with its Serabi Genetics and others added some extra spice to the mix as well.

The quiz in the back of the LBBs where they statted out both Star Wars and Trek PCs (among others) was nice, I felt it was like saying: "you take it from here".

I've had people tell me that it's not feasible to run a J-3 ship in a J-2 area (or some such nonsense) because they've spreadsheeted out some GT Traveller statistics. I say phoey and trash the statistics and do what you want. It's a game, get what you want out of it. If I don't game with a canon-ista, so much the better.

The good think on Traveller is that the vast majority of groups and players don't care about the little problems and strange elements. Most simply enjoy a setting without needing 100 percent realism.

They like the Aliens, the Megacorps, the Government system and simply accept that not everything is correct. And guess what: This group includes quite a few people who KNOW what is wrong because they have the academic/engineering degrees to know.

If one start to demand "Realism" one quickly ends up with Transhuman Space. Or more exactly Transhuman space without Bioroids, Genmods, Mind-Transfer, Anti-Matter Drives, AI's ... since all those are not Realistic.

Simple realism in Traveller would either demand larger ship crews on the merchant (Triple Watch) or more automatisation (No place for players), far smaller computers, massive expert systems (even less places for players), an equalising of technology,no thrusters...

"Realism" in SciFi is just another word for "Boooooring". So I keep my Aliens, my strange star systems and multi-ton computers and do the same I did in 2300AD: Ignore the "Realism" minority.

"Realism" in SciFi is just another word for "Boooooring".
Again, that's a false statement, as has been frequently demonstrated here. You may think that realistic settings are boring yourself (which is fine), but there's no evidence to suggest that it is automatically boring for everyone. There's still plenty of fun to be had in a more realistic setting, and like I said the example of changing the stars that Regina orbits into more realistic ones isn't going to do anything to suddenly make it "less fun".

It's also not necessary to apply realism universally. Just because one aspect of the setting is realistic doesn't mean that every aspect has to be. I've frequently mentioned DP9's Jovian Chronicles as a prime example - it's set in a realistic solar system, but the action is very cinematic and the tech is pseudo-realistic, and it works just fine and a lot of people enjoy it too. You don't happy to apply realism to absolutely everything to have a fun, playable game.

I just think people are being immediately dismissive of something that can actually add a lot to their games without sacrificing anything else - least of all the fun - in the process.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />"Realism" in SciFi is just another word for "Boooooring".
Again, that's a false statement...</font>[/QUOTE]And again I totally agree with Mal.

In fact Realism is the root of SciFi. Far from being boring it is critical to the genre. If you don't have realism you don't have SciFi, you have Fantasy or something else. And I'm not knocking Fantasy as a genre, I'm just saying it's different.

For example Fantasy allows "magic" while SciFi does not. SciFi may tread into the "technology indistinguishable from magic" area but not without a basis in reality behind it.

Is that concept boring? Not a bit. Can it be made boring? Absolutely, but then you blame the presentation not the idea.

I don't think anyone is saying a SciFi game should read like a university textbook, that would be boring.

Realistic:

No FTL drives
No Energy based Maneuver Drives
No Gravity technology
No Anti-Matter plants, VERY large Fusion plants

All Thrusters need huge amounts of fuel (TNE Heplar are unrealistic already)

Sorry but there is little adventure left once I do Traveller or 2300AD realistic.

As for the rest: realism (small caps) does not add to a game for me or most players. Most gamers don't care about it so it is unnecessary effort better used otherwise

Originally posted by Michael Brinkhues:
Realistic:

No FTL drives
No Energy based Maneuver Drives
No Gravity technology
No Anti-Matter plants, VERY large Fusion plants
Realistic for contemporary fiction, certainly. Internally realistic for science fiction, set centuries from now? Who is to say?

Most gamers don't care ...
Careful, now, there are scientists in this thread - you might have to back that up with figures!

Seriously, though, I haven't found this to be the case in any of the groups I have gamed with over the decades. The Traveller players of my aquaintance have always had at least a passing interest in keeping things as realistic as they knew how. I'll always remember one time, when I foolishly allowed the PCs to escape an underground flash flood by ducking into a side tunnel. "Actually, hydraulic pressure should be equal in all pipes...", piped up one player before realising that he was arguing for the watery (not really water) death for the party.

To my best of knowledge the first three things violate the currently accepted laws of physics.

As for the rest, groups may differ and my players never cared for too much realism. Maybe because we all had bad experiences (StarTrek(2) and realism, StarWars, Milleniums End and Realism(1) etc)

(1) Assasination by ATGM can really kill a scenario
(2) Hunt for Red Klingons isn't all that funny

Originally posted by Michael Brinkhues:
To my best of knowledge the first three things violate the currently accepted laws of physics.

But not, perhaps, as-yet undiscovered laws of physics. If you get rid of the conjectural technology side of science fiction just because we can't do it today, you don't really have much else to play with.

Back