• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

It's not Traveller? OK, Why not??

Originally posted by Michael Brinkhues:
Disagree! Making the Aslan human makes the "JASC" - Just Another Samurai Clone. Same for the Hivers, welcome to the Illuminati. And Human KKree are called Newkirk Youth or PETAs. It is only through the combination with being another Alien race that they become interesting for me.[/quote]

I think the Aslan are "Just another Samurai Clone" though. The only difference really is that they have a dewclaw. But aside from that there is nothing you can do with them that you couldn't do with a matriarchal human society. Because these races are so similar to humanity, the outward appearance of these race is just eye candy really - I don't think that really lends anything to what makes them unique. That's the whole point of the "humans in funny suits" thing, if humans can act the same way then they're not really alien.

The Hivers could easily be replaced by an advanced human race who have mastered memetics (because that's what "manipulation" really is). Heck, even the tossing out of hiver larvae to fend for themselves is nicked straight from human history (the Spartans).

And as I pointed out, the Kkree could just as easily be replaced by any bunch of psychotic, homicidal xenophobic humans. Vegetarianism would be must as valid a cause to massacre other to that sort of bunch as racism or anything else

Again, I'm not saying they SHOULD be replaced by them, I'm just pointing out that they're really not as alien as people make them out to be. If they were, it wouldn't be so easy to replace them with humans to the same effect. None of this is really a statement on whether they're "cool" or "interesting", I'm just saying that they don't HAVE To be physically different to have the same effect on the setting.

[/QUOTE]Logans Run works because of the enclosed place, Aliens work because there is no place to hide outside the base[/quote]

Yes.... but there's no reason you can't still do that in a Traveller game. If you need an enclosed space, then there's bound to be a way to put one into any setting.

the dual Suns of Kregen are a part of the whole etc.
...and no. That's like saying Tatooine needs two suns to be what it is - it doesn't.

Size, travelling and travelling time are important to the Universe. There is no "backwater" if you have a starship, ships boat or an enclosed air/raft. So you either drop the tech and end up playing Milleniums End or you keep it and need the planets.

And if you drop travelling time, you drop newslag. And again, you change the universe. If I want live broadcast from Earth I play Babylon5 or Orion, not Traveller.
I don't believe that's necessarily true. After all there's lots of stories that have been written (or even that have happened) that are set on Earth that require people to be isolated, and they can manage that easily. Break the radio, or the air/raft's grav plates, do whatever is necessary to isolate them and you still have the setting you need.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
Every time I propose trying to make something more realistic in the OTU, I get people saying "but that wouldn't be Traveller".
First, I don't think the reaction is universal to all of what you propose. Looking at this thread, the idea of eliminating the existing aliens clearly doesn't resonate with most of the posters, but the idea of changing star types to a distribution that is closer to what is known for planetary formation is largely met with a shrug and a "Whatever."

As I said earlier, some gamers value canon because they value portability, the idea that if they play with five different referees that the setting will be highly consistent between all five games.

Though you may not agree with that point of view, it's not necessarily A Bad Thing.

Now I play in an ATU, so such changes don't affect my game, but I can definitely understand why some gamers would take umbrage at a proposal to revamp the whole of the universe they've been using consistently for many years, whether those changes seem relatively minor or not to you. As Scarecrow noted in an earlier post, making Regina a canonical iceball might impact a lot of games, depending on the amount of detail the referee already established in the campaign, so some of this resistance you feel is out there may be entirely practical in that regard.

And while you may not agree with it, the canon IS Traveller for that reason. Traveller is both a rules system and a setting. The rules can be used to run many different kinds of games with no regard to setting (or even science or speculative fiction - Chaosium's Thieves' World fantasy setting includes Traveller conversion notes, for example) - conversely the setting can be used with many different game systems (there are setting conversions for d20 and GURPS of course, as well as FUDGE, The Fantasy Trip, and HERO that I know of) independent of the Traveller system. However, there is only one OTU, one shared canon universe in which scores of authors and tens of thousands of gamers invested for over three decades now. For many gamers that shared universe, no matter how wonky it may be when compared to our real universe, IS Traveller.

I hope you understand why some gamers might get a little touchy when someone comes along and says, "Your setting is broken! Let me fix it!"

And by the way, you really need to drop the whole "fear of realism" thing. If you mean it to be as offensive as it sounds, you're not doing yourself any favors in generating support for your ideas about how to make the Traveller experience better. If you don't mean it to be offensive, you need to take a step back and think about how that might come across to someone who values portability and playability more highly than fixing something that for them isn't broken in the first place.

I might as well toss this in here as well:
You want me to demonstrate to you why the game would be better if minor changes were made to make it based more on how things actually work? It'd be better because that's how things actually work!.
So a realistic Traveller universe is better because it's realistic?

Congratulations, the orbital eccentricity of your argument is 0.000! ;)

As I noted upthread, clearly you place a high emphasis on realism with respect to planetary formation and star system organization. That's your thing - we get it. It's something that you value above existing canon. Other Traveller players value portability - others still are invested in the shared history of the development of the OTU.

A game setting that realistically reflects what is known (and speculated) about our own universe is one of a number of competing values among Traveller gamers - it is not the only value, nor is presumptively the most important of those values, particularly given the elephant in the room that's been largely ignored in this discussion: the entire Traveller universe is a made-up place!

You know that realistic aspect of our universe I would love to see projected into Traveller? I'd love a longer list of known stars and more accurate star positions. I'd love to be able to look up at night and say, "Yeah, that's where my character is right now!" more often than I can. The list of catalogued stars mapped in the game is pitifully short, but as much as I might want more such stars, it's not likely to happen because the star positions on the two-dee maps of Traveller aren't meant to be an accurate representation of our real universe. It's a game setting, and it takes liberties with reality in the name of playability and practicality.

Let's say for the sake of argument that I could invest the time and effort to search SIMBAD and plot the positions of every possible star for which we have accurate distance measurements, developing some sort of algorithm that would allow me convert their positions to the two-dee mapping system of Traveller. After my work is complete, I might come back to MWM and the Traveller community and say, "'Lo, here's a list of stars and their positions. All we have to do is change the positions of a hundred and twenty of the stars in the OTU, and eliminate another two hundred altogether, and then our star maps will be REALISTIC. . ."

Would I like something like that? Yes. Do I expect other gamers to embrace it? Some. Do I think that the OTU should be modified to accomodate my work? No - it's an ATU, and I believe that's how it should be, because I respect the values of those who would like to see the OTU preserved as it's developed over decades. I wouldn't consider those who don't appreciate my astrometrical exertions hostile to my goals - I recognize that their priorities are simply not my own.

Food for thought.
I don't know how many more times I have to say that [replacing aliens with humans] was a hypothetical example.
Given that MWM is unlikely to give you the opportunity to implement ANY of your proposed changes any time soon, I'd have to say it's all hypothetical - fanciful, even. ;)

That said, you did bring it up as an example, so I don't know why you'd expect people not to respond to it.
The fact that Hivers are big starfish or Aslan are cat-like isn't the thing that makes them cool. What people like about them are their culture and history and how they interact with others. Had they been defined initially as humans with those cultures, I suspect that few people would have thought they were less interesting.
Again I disagree.

The physiological and psychological needs of the K'kree result in a completely different approach to starship design. That's their alienness translated into something tangible that the players can explore through their characters. The culture of the K'kree is developed around their distinctive physical and mental traits, so one is an outgrowth of the other.

This is true of other aliens in the OTU as well, in my opinion. I don't believe this is readily replicated by "humans with funny cultures."
By analogy, I don't think the fact that Planet X orbits a blue supergiant or a binary star or a red dwarf or whatever is what's making it interesting from a game perspective - it's the adventures that you can have on the planet and the people on it. Whether you have those adventures under a city-sized protective dome or in the open air, or in actinic blue light or dim red light doesn't really make much difference in practice.
I agree, but as I stated up-thread, that's not an argument for introducing a higher degree of realism either. If it's of no consequence to most gamers, then uch a change is superfluous.
You say that, but I don't think it does matter to most people.
Unless you have some sort of concrete gamer survey data or something you can point to, I don't think saying "most people" share your values about this is valid. Some gamers, certainly - "most" gamers, sounds like overreaching.
What you need is a Precursor race that left the odd ruin scattered around and who apparently destroyed a few planets in the process. Nobody in the Traveller setting even knows who Grandfather is.
The Ancients are pretty heavily woven into the backstory, and the discovery of the connection with the Droyne was a big part of more than one published adventure (and who knows how many homebrewed adventures).

You don't like the Ancients' shtick, take it out - it's your ATU. Expecting others to embrace such a change to the OTU? Well, I believe someone mentioned tilting at windmills up-thread. . . ;)

It's been fun, but I actually have to get some "realistic" work done today, so forgive me if I don't respond to any further replies.

Sorry Malenfant but what you call a "funny suit" IS the important difference IMHO. THEY ARE NOT HUMANS so Humans can not replace them. Forcing that change would make me throw the game once and for all. At best it would be 2300AD without the fun, not Traveller. At worst it get's "Kick the PeTa" and "Beat up the A******" since humans with extreme personalities are not the same as Aliens.

Actually Kregen NEEDS two suns to be what it is. Just like the moons and all. Part of the setting, including religions, conflicts and environment. Otherwise it would be just another fantasy thingy.

And "break the gravplates", sorry but "Transporter Malfunction of the Week" is another game system and even there it get's boring quickly. Sure one can force such stuff but again, it's no longer Traveller. It's "That other Game with the pointy eared guys"(1)

Btw there is a lot of difference between the Spartan treatment of their adolescent and the Hiver larva.

(1) I still prefer the "Mirror Universe" version of First Contact. Cochran using the MPi on the space-elve was just "The right stuff"

Okay, I really do need to get some work done, but I couldn't let this one pass without comment:
Heck, even the tossing out of hiver larvae to fend for themselves is nicked straight from human history (the Spartans).
Actually that's called "r-selection strategy" and it's the most common reproductive strategy among organisms on Earth.

I'd be quite surprised to learn that the Spartans were used as a model for the creation of the Hivers.

Okay, now to work. . .

I think we're arguing over tangents. But yes, good point about the 'R-selection" thing, the Spartans were just more obvious to me as an intelligent culture that did that sort of thing.

Sorry, but from what I've seen some people DO have a fear of realism, especially the ones who say "oh but it'll make everything boring". It won't - it'll change some things, but the setting can still be as exciting or fun as it was before, just in less wacky ways. And I don't think a setting needs to be unrealistic for people to have fun in it.

But if people say they're happy with what they've got, and then say that adding realism wouldn't change anything for them, then I'm not really seeing why they'd see it as a problem.

And Michael - sorry, I just can't see why a given planet needs two suns to be the game setting that it is. PCs generally won't care if the planet they land on has one or two suns, or four-legged or six-legged lifeforms, or anything like that unless they have an actual effect on the plot.

But I think we've established here that most people wouldn't actually mind if things were more realistic, so long as it didn't change their game play. Whether anyone else sees any point in doing that is another matter.

Oh, I thought Kregen was just some random system name you made up as an example. What's it from?

I mean, if it NEEDS two suns to be what it is (I dunno, do people on it have a religion based on two suns?) then obviously you can't change it to just have one. I'm just saying if you don't need those things, then you can afford to change them.

EDIT: And having just looked it up, none of the arguments here apply to it anyway - it's clearly a wacky space opera type thing ((a) it's set around Antares, and (b) one of the suns is green). Any realism arguments wouldn't apply here.

As an exploration into different ideas of the Traveller Universe, I think that you see there is a pattern of agreement. Now, Mal., you have to square the circle of the people who like Space Opera, afterall, all Traveller is about making a game that Hard SF fans can enjoy and a game for Space Opera enthuasists. As I have said before we are not far apart. I just don't believe that change will come by trashing people's past work and it will come from building a better future. Thanks for doing your part, Mal.

Sorry, but from what I've seen some people DO have a fear of realism, especially the ones who say "oh but it'll make everything boring".
Actually, the word "REALISTIC" appears to be the source of a fair percentage of the semantic misunderstanding. Mal appears to define "realistic" in this topic as correcting glaring errors in planet size/atmosphere/star type, and few people would probably disagree very strongly with that.

The cartoon presented earlier shows that "realism" pushed to it's limits results in many star systems with no habitable planets, no alien life and vasy quantities of the same old airless rocks and gas giants. It is debatable whether such a game would be fun. Few would recognize it as the Traveller Imperium.

On the Hiver larvae pretty sure that came from the Martian life cycle described in Heinlein's Red Planet and Stranger in a Strange Land.

More generally you can play Traveller without aliens but why would you want to?

Intelligent aliens are a major theme that start appearing with the first adventure books and JTAS and account for a serious percentage of all Traveller publications.

Strip them out and it might indeed still be Traveller but would definitely be Traveler-minus .

You can make pizza without tomatoes (and in fact the Italians did exactly that for 2,000 years) but once tomatoes have been discovered and several billion people over 400 years have agreed that yes, pizza way tastes way nicer with tomatoes, why would you want to argue that because you can theoretically have a pizza without tomatoes that tomatoes have nothing to do with pizza....

Sure it takes more to make good pizza than chucking a tin of tomatoes on a flatbread and throwing it into an oven with some processed cheese but that is down to the quality of the cook and the ingredients he chooses to use - not down to the recipe.

Ditto for Traveller aliens - if they are not alien enough for you then you need to work harder to make them so.

Intelligent aliens are a major theme that start appearing with the first adventure books and JTAS and account for a serious percentage of all Traveller publications.

Strip them out and it might indeed still be Traveller but would definitely be Traveler-minus.
Not sure that I would agree with you here. I would view it as a challenge to role playing assumptions before Firefly came along and changed the landscape of Science Fiction back to a different sort of creature again (one more established in the literary canon than the visual arts).

TNE/Hard Times makes some pretty bold statements about the collapse of Interstellar Civilization leading to Xenocide. It is quite possible to play Traveller without the aliens without diminishing Traveller. Of course, one can do handwaves, like Pocket Universes and the like. However, do keep in mind, one of the core elements of Traveller is that it is a Human-Dominated Universe. As much as humans may share that power, it is still the basic premise that aliens take second place and hence should be kept as alien as possible. However, if you give your players access to all the contents of the AMs, your Campaign Notes, and all go see the same movies/watch the same TV programs/read the same books/visit the same Internet sites then keeping the aliens, alien is a hard task.

One way is to start off in a pocket of space in which Aliens are sparce and that way you build up slowly the human centred universe approach, and then when they see something different...you will achieve the WOW factor.

So, I think we are in agreement on many points, alte. However, challenge yourself and others by removing aliens...might make for an interesting campaign.

Kafka47:

IMHO it is quite possibly to play SciFi without Aliens, quite a few movies and novels do or relegate them to the rather abstract enemy type. It might be possibel to put Aliens in Traveller on the backburner, making them rarely seen and interacted with NPC.

Adding new races is acceptabel if they fit the background. I.e there is no place for another major race between the Aslan and the Heroic Defenders of pure Humanity (aka Solomanie) but a minor one might work.

Dropping them totally makes for a new universe. One that might be interesting but not Traveller.

Replacing them by Humans changes the outlook from "They are not humans, can't judge them by our standards" to "They are amoral, degenerated freaks, organise a Posse and string them up" Not my type of game

Originally posted by Michael Brinkhues:
Kafka47:

IMHO it is quite possibly to play SciFi without Aliens, quite a few movies and novels do or relegate them to the rather abstract enemy type. It might be possibel to put Aliens in Traveller on the backburner, making them rarely seen and interacted with NPC.

Adding new races is acceptabel if they fit the background. I.e there is no place for another major race between the Aslan and the Heroic Defenders of pure Humanity (aka Solomanie) but a minor one might work.

Replacing them by Humans changes the outlook from "They are not humans, can't judge them by our standards" to "They are amoral, degenerated freaks, organise a Posse and string them up" Not my type of game
I cannot see where we disagree. Although, the last point, is rather contentious. Human history is filled with us turning against the Other, even when that Other is ourselves. Humans against other Humans is even a subculture of Traveller as point out, the Solomani versus Imperial versus Zhodani mindsets. There is no reason why you cannot have further conflicts of that nature and still not called in Traveller (one might argue 1248 achived just that by extrapolating from the TNE xenocides).

Then in the middle, I come across:
Dropping them totally makes for a new universe. One that might be interesting but not Traveller.
Not true, humanity is the centre of the Traveller Universe. It was done this way to prevent a reoccurance of the D&D paradigm that GDW sought to get away from in creating a new game. Traveller is certainly about a cosmopolitian universe but its diversity lies within its reflections & refractions of the human story not about exploring the alien-ness of the universe.

Aliens are the ultimate Other, which, then allow us to explore a different aspect of our humanity. They are given cultural archetypes that we can refer back to the human story but they are ultimately alien. To describe how alien, they are is only a sketch and the referee is encouraged to do more.

Of course, you can always create YTU, and make it as Star Wars/Star Trek, as you like but it remains corely human unless you have a group of people with wild imaginations (which don't take a slight but as a complement). Again, as it/I has/have been pointed out, "It is YOUR Game, do what you want with it."

Wait, so a different alien culture would be OK, but the same different human culture means that they're automatically amoral degenerate freaks who should be strung up? Sorry, not following the logic there at all - in the vast majority of cases there's no reason to treat both in the same way. Sure, you'll get problems if you've got a human culture that eats their young or something ;) , but that's going to be less likely.

I mean, a homicidally xenophobic culture is a homicidally xenophobic culture no matter how limbs it has (and honestly, they're the ones most likely to treat anyone different as amoral, degenerate freaks). A human race that acted like the Aslan is no more amoral or degenerate or freakish than the alien Aslan are.

How about this? A human centric universe could have this origin.

First complex life is rare, intelligent life is still rarer, and intelligent life that builds technological space travelling civilizations is rarest of all. There may be one per galaxy or fewer, that is why we listen to the heavens and hear nothing.

Second diversity, the early jump drives had a major defect, they would take you to you destinations, but they would slide across the boundary into other Universes, these other universes are parallel to our own, they contain their own Earths with humans on it, but travel to these universes is totally random and unpredictable.

The early explorers would explore a star system and settle it, they would return to a completely different Earth from the one they left, and if they headed back to the colony they established, they would find it gone.

A starship which traveled to another star system would end up in that star system in a parallel universe, they wouldn't be able to return to their universe of origin, they could only travel to yet another parallel universe. The more often they use the jump drive, the more different the new universe is from their own, until they get to a point where they enter a universe where humans have never evolved, try and try as they may to get back, but they keep on moving further away. This effect is more pronounced if you jump long distances. The early tests of the jump drive were over short distances within system, these early results proved promising as the probes either stayed within the same universe or were replaced by a probe from another universe that was so similar that no one could tell the difference. This flawed jump technology leaves alot of stranded colonists from many different parallel Earths. After further research and development, the jump drive is fixed, they still can't figure out a way to travel to a parallel universe and come back, but they did fix the jump drive so that it reliably travels interstellar distances and remain in the same universe, but meanwhile you have a whole bunch of interstellar colonies in one universe that were established by a whole bunch of parallel Earth's where history took a decidedly different turn.

There are NAZI colonies, Communist colonies, colonies established by technological roman and greek empires, colonies established by Neandertals. Some nonchristian pagan colonies, some colonies that are very ancient, some colonies that lost their technological basis and went primitive. Most of the colonies were established within 6,000 years of each other, most within a couple of centuries. Some histories had more rapid technological advance than others.

But I must state again, the defective jump drives cannot reach a specific parallel universe intentionally, all they can do is enter a random parallel, and as for the people that sent them, they are effectively gone forever and never return. The Jump Drives can only be fixed to work as FTL engines, no one has developed the ability to navigate multiple universes and reach the one that send the Nazis to a far away planet. The very randomness of the defective jump drives prevents the senders from getting them back and determining how well they are doing in intentionally reaching a specific universe. Meanwhile all these left overs from alternate realities come in contact with each other, and some of them do not get along.

Tom, I've started another thread for alternate ideas so this one can stay on the prickly "what is Traveller" question rather than wander into speculative territory. Cool?

Space Cadet's premise is NOT Traveller.

It's Jump Technology triggering a "Banestorm" of sorts to create a really twisted Infinite Worlds setting.

You could use his idea as a basis for the background of a Book 3 subsector... and leave it as a mystery for the players to figure out. Make it a three part adventure culminating into "Twilight's Bane."

Malenfant, Kafka47:

The difference between "Them Aliens" and "Them Humans" (There is not race in human) is that it is (at least for me) easier to seperate real world feeling from the game with the former than with the latter. Makes it easier not to "Go out and kick the KKree" and instead work on peaceful interaction.

To me humans acting like KKree or Vagr Raiders of Hhkar or Hivers deserve to be shot where they stand and I freely admit that my real world reactions and dislikes shape my characters.

Kafka47:

I never said Aliens as PC, there are few races in Traveller that actually work as PC (Bwap maybe). But if I drop them, I change a lot of the basic system and have to find more reasons why equivalents to (Vagr raiders, land-seeking Aslan etc) exist or I have to drop the elements. See above for some problems with that.

And If I drop them, I get something along the lines of Ryder Hook, Vattas War or Honor Harrington. All intersting universes but not Traveller

. . .good point about the 'R-selection" thing. . .
[nitpick] Population growth rate in ecological algebra is represented with a small-r, not a capital-R. ;) [/nitpick]
Originally posted by atpollard:
Mal appears to define "realistic" in this topic as correcting glaring errors in planet size/atmosphere/star type, and few people would probably disagree very strongly with that.
In the first post of the thread, the OP put out three examples: (1) changing star types so that they match more closely the distribution of known stars and currently understood processes for the development of planetary systems, (2) reducing the number of habitable worlds, and (3) replacing "humans in furry suits" aliens with "humans with funny cultures."

The first probably has the least potential impact on the OTU, though I think it's a mistake to assume that it has no impact whatsoever, for reasons I outlined above (i.e., existing campaigns that make use of the current OTU data, or metagame reasons related to the shared history of the development of the OTU over the course of thirty years); in fact, the more I think about this, the more I think it's actually somewhat more complicated that just changing a type O star to a type G star. The second example hasn't been discussed much, and the third generated quite a few comments and seems to be taken as a significant change to the OTU, at least judging from the posters who've responded to this thread so far.

I think that if any or all of these ideas were packaged as an ATU, they'd be greeted with some real enthusiasm by a quite a few Traveller gamers - on the other hand, insisting that they be incorporated into the OTU is likely a lead balloon destined for a hard landing. ;)

Back