• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Jump drive paradigm shift

RogerD

SOC-12
Suppose I have a race that rolled Flux+4 at TL9 and therefore gets the Jump paradigm shift at TL15. Should we take that as resetting all TL related parameters as starting from there instead of TL9? This basically just means the cap on the jump distance. So at TL16 you could build a prototype version, TL17, an early version and so on? The other TL-based parameter is the max jump distance. Would that also adjust to 6 tech levels later? Would it then also impact when the higher-order drives are invented?

I see verbiage saying you could build an experimental jump drive at TL6 if you wanted to, but it wouldn't work due to the efficiency issues or possibly due to the minimum TL for jump. It seems to me you'd need the paradigm shift lifted first, but sure. Could be an adventure in there - you are on a TL8 (or less planet) and an alien ship crashes. Your team is trying out this tech we built based on what we found inside...

I see a reference to a maximum potential by tech level(BBB2, p.116 "Potential is limited by tech level"), but not a table for it. It looks a bit like the intention was to base this on table W on p.76 of LBB2, but that's just the potential of a standard drive, right?

I'll admit to not comprehending what you are illustrating with the flux thing (have not looked into that yet), but BBB2 p.222 has a table that may help you. Seems to be an expanded table W from p.76, also labelled W.

Thanks for the reference to p.222. strange that there are no other references to that table! At least that I’ve found.

My flux +4 example references table A on p.241, column J. The question is based on the text under that table and in a couple of other spots that says:
Make each roll upon achieving the Roll At TL. If successful, the species determines that the
technology is theoretically possible and they can build an Experimental stage version at the Flux- indicated TL.

I would, at this moment, before further deliberation, just apply that shift to Jump tech and leave all other tech governed by the TL that exists outside of Jump tech development delay. Perhaps, if one can associate other tech to the paradigm shift related to Jump, then that tech might also suffer a similar delay in development.

I would, at this moment, before further deliberation, just apply that shift to Jump tech and leave all other tech governed by the TL that exists outside of Jump tech development delay. Perhaps, if one can associate other tech to the paradigm shift related to Jump, then that tech might also suffer a similar delay in development.
The TL component of the old DGP World Builder's Handbook managed this sort of description and variation quite well.

I think it means that all the versions of the jump drive (experimental -ultimate ) are unavailable until you reach the paradigm shift. So if yours is. a TL 15, then at some point in TL 15 Experimental versions are available. Later (still in 15) prototypes then early versions and eventually ultimate versions of J2 +std versions of J6 all become available before you hit TL16

Back