• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Jump Drive TLs

Golan2072

SOC-14 1K
Admin Award
How do jump drive TLs work in the Cepheus Engine? I though that CE uses the CT-High Guard (and later) convention of Jump-1 at TL9, Jump-2 at TL11, and so on. But then I saw the TL9 Courier on p.139 (Chapter 9), which, while being at TL9, has Jump-2 performance...

So does CE use Three-Book-CT-style drive TLs?

I could not find any mention to the TL limits to jump drives, or drives in general...

How do jump drive TLs work in the Cepheus Engine? I though that CE uses the CT-High Guard (and later) convention of Jump-1 at TL9, Jump-2 at TL11, and so on. But then I saw the TL9 Courier on p.139 (Chapter 9), which, while being at TL9, has Jump-2 performance...

So does CE use Three-Book-CT-style drive TLs?

I could not find any mention to the TL limits to jump drives, or drives in general...

Book 3 Tech table, but you knew that from Kemp's answer on FB. :devil:

Thank you for posting the answer here! I came looking.

One other observation: having delved into Cepheus Engine starship design, the other restriction is the computer.

At TL9, the best computer available is a Model/2 with 10 capacity. Make it a Model/2bis at +50% and its capacity is 15 for Jump Control purposes. That means the best Jump Control can run is Jump-3; a Jump Course Tape can be purchased, but on the frontier this might be a problem.

Thank you for posting the answer here! I came looking.

One other observation: having delved into Cepheus Engine starship design, the other restriction is the computer.

At TL9, the best computer available is a Model/2 with 10 capacity. Make it a Model/2bis at +50% and its capacity is 15 for Jump Control purposes. That means the best Jump Control can run is Jump-3; a Jump Course Tape can be purchased, but on the frontier this might be a problem.

I simply go with whatever is needed can be imported from a higher Tech Level source. It may cost a little more depending on how you handle stellar currency exchange rates, but it gets you what you need.

I simply go with whatever is needed can be imported from a higher Tech Level source. It may cost a little more depending on how you handle stellar currency exchange rates, but it gets you what you need.

Absolutely for regions interior to an extended polity with good trade relations (i.e. the Imperium). But beyond the frontier in isolated communities perhaps hostile to to trade (for whatever reason) it creates possibly interesting situations. Designing a TL9 Lancer using the Cepheus Engine for the Belgard Sojourn raised this question for me; they are a minor polity in the Trojan Reach hostile to the Imperium (or any outsiders). I'm running the Leviathan campaign using Solo. I think what they would do is produce jump tapes using computers on the ground that are regularly updated. But that naturally keeps their reach within 4 parsecs of their homeworld, with effectively 3 parsec jumps beyond that range because that's all their ship computers can handle.

Absolutely for regions interior to an extended polity with good trade relations (i.e. the Imperium). But beyond the frontier in isolated communities perhaps hostile to to trade (for whatever reason) it creates possibly interesting situations. Designing a TL9 Lancer using the Cepheus Engine for the Belgard Sojourn raised this question for me; they are a minor polity in the Trojan Reach hostile to the Imperium (or any outsiders). I'm running the Leviathan campaign using Solo. I think what they would do is produce jump tapes using computers on the ground that are regularly updated. But that naturally keeps their reach within 4 parsecs of their homeworld, with effectively 3 parsec jumps beyond that range because that's all their ship computers can handle.

Hmm, that is a very interesting concept for a campaign, as well as quite creative. Would you mind maybe starting another thread under Cepheus General covering the campaign. I have Cepheus, Leviathan (hard copy from when it came out and digital) and Solo. I am very interested in seeing what you are doing. And I would agree with your analysis of operations outside of the established Imperium.

Back