• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Jump Space

Jump Space

• Total voters
I view Traveller Jump as an outgrowth of continuing research into control of gravity. When manipulation and control of gravity became possible, researchers realized that several avenues of achieving Faster Than Light (FTL) speeds became possible. The late twentieth and early twenty-first century saw the emergence of several FTL theories that remain consistent with Einstein's Theory of Relativity. All of them had massive engineering problems to overcome or required the generation and control of massive gravity fields.

The one that produced the jump drive is a variant of the Alcubierre Drive. Space is folded around a minimum volume (100 dTons) leaving a thin "neck" connecting it to realspace. The direction and duration of travel is controlled by the "folds" surrounding the neck. Once formed the bubble can't be steered. However they will eventually decay causing the ship emerge in realspace.

In theory in any distance and duration could be set however in terms of practical operations there are limited islands of stability where consistent folds can be generated. These islands correspond to Jump 1 to 6 all decaying within roughly one week. The islands of higher jump numbers get narrower and harder to hit without higher technology.

The islands of stability for jump are called that because once you are within range of them, the topology of the folds tend to settle into a stable state. Outside of that they tend to rapidly destabilize. Think of it a ball being placed on top of a hill versus being placed near the bottom of a depression. Near the depression you can be a little be off and the ball will naturally settle at the lowest point. Near the hill the ball tends to roll away unless placed "just" right.

Jumpspace is the pinched off bit of realspace that encloses the craft. Jump sickness, it weird appearance are a result of the small volume that makes up the "universe" that surrounds the ship as opposed to being some type of alternate reality.

At the time I wrote this hop and skip drive didn't exist. When I read about them, my thought was they are generated similarly to normal jumps however they exist on separate line of fold topology. One where it very hard to hit the island of stability.

RE estar's idea about how jump might work:

This may sell me on the week-in-jumpspace thing, which never really made sense to me before.

My, it has been a while since this thread's first post.

In my current campaign, we always have a bit of RP as we are coming out of jump, discussing and preparing for what we are about to do (and summing up ICly what we did during the week, if desired).

But, of course, this can change depending on the group. It is possible to do an entire Murder on the Orient Express style campaign during a single, week long jump, with maybe a session or so before (intro) and after (epilogue), plus perhaps a session 0 for generating the characters.

In my current campaign, we always have a bit of RP as we are coming out of jump, discussing and preparing for what we are about to do (and summing up ICly what we did during the week, if desired).

Quite besides the idea of treating every Jump like it's a real Event in order to emphasize its critical nature, wouldn't we need to do this if an ambush by pirates wasn't going to be telescoped badly and ruining some of the narrative?

"This may sell me on the week-in-jumpspace thing, which never really made sense to me before."

No different than spending a week at sea to get from Point A to Point B and there's no one else nearby in the middle of the Atlantic. Either something will happen on board ship or the sailors and passengers keep busy or get bored.

Star Trek, at least TOS, often described getting anywhere took days or weeks. Most of the time it was fade out/fade in and on to the next event or some interaction occurs within the confines that we the viewer find fascinating.

It's a shame that poll didn't have an "All of the above" option because I've done each of the options listed depending on the needs of the campaign, session, and group.

I also don't understand why people have issues with telescoping time to account for 168 hours in jump space in Traveller when they regularly telescope time for similar reasons in other RPGs.

"This may sell me on the week-in-jumpspace thing, which never really made sense to me before."

No different than spending a week at sea to get from Point A to Point B and there's no one else nearby in the middle of the Atlantic. Either something will happen on board ship or the sailors and passengers keep busy or get bored.

Star Trek, at least TOS, often described getting anywhere took days or weeks. Most of the time it was fade out/fade in and on to the next event or some interaction occurs within the confines that we the viewer find fascinating.

Yes, but that's pacing of an unfolding story. It's not about how jump works.

What didn't make sense to me was that a jump takes a week no matter the distance.
An instantaneous or near-instantaneous jump would make sense.
So would a longer or shorter duration based on drive and distance covered.
But a flat week seems odd.

A bubble of warped space at a given island of stability , which will decay in about a week--that makes sense to me.
It seems like a good explanation. It suits me.
YMMV

Traveller jump space has been described as levels of a form of hyper space. Each jump is a deeper 'universe' where time is relative and stable on all levels but space is variable with distance compressed. Makes sense to me.

I find the Traveller jump mechanic unique in its function. It's meant to have a feel of long voyages between ports as in the days of sail.

Quite besides the idea of treating every Jump like it's a real Event in order to emphasize its critical nature, wouldn't we need to do this if an ambush by pirates wasn't going to be telescoped badly and ruining some of the narrative?

Sure, but there are other reasons. If one typically ends a session when jumps happen near when the session ends anyway, it is quite useful to start the next session with an in-character recap, PCs reminding one another what's about to happen (as it has been a week for them too). The logical time for this is just before the exit from jump space - meaning everyone is in character and playing at just the right moment to spring an ambush. (Or for the party's ship to unintentionally ambush someone.)

Back