• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Laser Beam Trip Wire

Sounds like a band...

An interesting piece of tech. A trip wire that uses a laser beam. Tune the beam into the UV spectrum, and it's invisible to Humaniti.

Applications go far beyond mines and booby traps. Use them to signal entry into a room, for example.

So is this a transmitter and receiver on one side and a mirror or a separate transmitter and receiver connected with a wire?

With a laser you can use visible light and it’s invisible unless you put your head into the beam. Also IR laser works too.

What’s the range? Can I set a burglar alarm tripwire along a long fence? Or do I need multiple units?

So is this a transmitter and receiver on one side and a mirror or a separate transmitter and receiver connected with a wire?

With a laser you can use visible light and it’s invisible unless you put your head into the beam. Also IR laser works too.

What’s the range? Can I set a burglar alarm tripwire along a long fence? Or do I need multiple units?

Dancer's choice. :)

Sounds like a band...

An interesting piece of tech. A trip wire that uses a laser beam. Tune the beam into the UV spectrum, and it's invisible to Humaniti.

Applications go far beyond mines and booby traps. Use them to signal entry into a room, for example.

Very common peice of technology today. Often used in things like elevator doors as a safety device to stop them closing on people.

With a perimeter fence type application, generally you want multiple smaller runs than one large one, as this gives you granularity, I the sense of being able to narrow down the pointof entry to a baseline to more than just "the north side "

I have one in my garage keeping the door from closing when something is in the way. The beam is not visible. The device has been in there for at least 10 years. I finally disconnected it as it kept getting out of alignment with the door opening and shutting, along with the units periodically getting hit. Trying to line it up again was a massive pain.

Personally, I would take a simple black fish line as a tripwire over an expensive laser hookup every time.

They're better in the several megawatt range. Not only do they act as a nice trip alarm, the severe the foot of the intruder tripping it - gives you more time to respond.

Not recommended for small book shop door chimes.

Back