• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Looking for Striker Stats for the ATV

If we ignore the minimum power plant, we can get:

Simple Air/raft:
2 seats + 4 m3 = tonnes of cargo
Cr 108 000
View attachment 3393

With LBB8 grav modules we get:
2 seats + 4 m3 = tonnes of cargo
Cr 187 000
View attachment 3394

Saves some weight, still considerably more expensive.
Hmm. Guess I expected more of a savings with total less weight driving down the power plant even further having to lift less weight, or requiring less grav module, or gaining more speed/performance.

Perhaps it pays off more for performance price no object scenarios, like speeders or grav tanks with energy hog weapons?

Also be interested to see fuel cells plugged in. I’m guessing those are common for civilian ground cars.

Also be interested to see fuel cells plugged in. I’m guessing those are common for civilian ground cars.
LBB8 Fuel cells seems to be slightly better and cheaper than Striker fusion. The disadvantage is that they are air breathers, so becomes fuel hogs if both oxygen and hydrogen is to be provided.

Perhaps it pays off more for performance price no object scenarios, like speeders or grav tanks with energy hog weapons?
The basic use case is when you can save a lot of weight, i.e. when the bulk of the weight is the power plant. That is a Speeder.

A heavy grav tank will not be significantly lighter as most of the weight is the armour and weapons.

LBB8 Fuel cells seems to be slightly better and cheaper than Striker fusion. The disadvantage is that they are air breathers, so becomes fuel hogs if both oxygen and hydrogen is to be provided.
Probably should also have performance issues in thin atmospheres, and extra filtering for tainted.

Fusion grav is the go anywhere solution, no doubt why the Type S packs one.

At this point I probably just going to dig into MT For some bit, notable the grav modules, in that as been suggested here to use robots, in that they are pretty much the same.

As well as ignoring the minimum volume on power plants as well.

But the question remains how much armor is appropriate for the Classic Book3 vehicles. In that I predicated this thread in trying to figure them out in Striker terms.

But the question remains how much armor is appropriate for the Classic Book3 vehicles. In that I predicated this thread in trying to figure them out in Striker terms.
For civilian vehicles, very little. Even the rules-mandated minimum of 0.25 cm (1/10") is probably a too much.

A GCarrier might have some, but I tend too view them as Air/raft, Heavy, Enclosed. A heavier truck than the air/rafts 4-ton truck. Or perhaps a police riot truck. An Imperial Grav APC is a completely different beast entirely...

For civilian vehicles, very little. Even the rules-mandated minimum of 0.25 cm (1/10") is probably a too much.
Yes, considering how much damage hand weapons can do to them. pretty much anything over a armor value of 3 is probably a bit much.
A GCarrier might have some, but I tend too view them as Air/raft, Heavy, Enclosed.

The GCarrier is described as equivalent to a light arc, say a flying stock M113 so say a AV of 6 or 7.

An Imperial Grav APC is a completely different beast entirely...
I concur as the original description of that critter makes it much faster and heavily armored and considerably larger 12 tons to the GCarrier's 8 tons.

The GCarrier is described as equivalent to a light arc, say a flying stock M113 so say a AV of 6 or 7.
Agreed, it should be fairly safe against normal shrapnel or rifle fire, so slightly higher than AV=4. AV=6 sounds about right. At TL-9 that's just 5 mm of armour, so perhaps even a bit more?

If it's to stop an ACR or Gauss Rifle it needs more than AV=7, so perhaps 7.5 mm armour (AV=9) with a sloped front (AV=12)?

How about something like this?

TL-10 (for the better armour)
2 crew + 12 passengers
2 tonnes of cargo
20 mm autocannon + coax HMG + pintel HMG with limited ammo. Can use low-tech ammo?
5 mm armour (AV=8) with a little more in the front and turret.

Skärmavbild 2023-01-21 kl. 02.06.png

Can still fly with a tonne or two of overweight.

Though rereading the description of Air/rafts in Book3, 10 weeks between charges from a ship's power plant piles much beefer batteries. While ATVs are either Fusion or Battery powered.

How about something like this?

TL-10 (for the better armour)
2 crew + 12 passengers
2 tonnes of cargo
20 mm autocannon + coax HMG + pintel HMG with limited ammo. Can use low-tech ammo?
5 mm armour (AV=8) with a little more in the front and turret.

View attachment 3396

Can still fly with a tonne or two of overweight.
Defiantly in the Ballpark.

Though rereading the description of Air/rafts in Book3, 10 weeks between charges from a ship's power plant piles much beefer batteries. While ATVs are either Fusion or Battery powered.
With a bit of artistic freedom, I would interpret that as "recharge" with fuel from a ship after 10 weeks of normal use, not necessarily constant use. A week of fuel is good enough?

That's still a ferry range of 15 000 km (≈10 000 mls).

Ten weeks of fuel would be large, but not very heavy, so not really a problem for an unarmoured grav vehicle.

Last edited:
With a bit of artistic freedom, I would interpret that as "recharge" with fuel from a ship after 10 weeks of normal use, not necessarily constant use. A week of fuel is good enough?
I am seriously considering the micro fusion plant, as such it will be a function of how big a fuel tanks it has. Or re-write Batteries.

Though closer to probably what I will do is use CE's vehicles book and express the results in Striker/MT terms.

Ok, suspending the minimum power plant size and reducing the power needed by the gravs by half pretty much does the trick. Just need a huge gas tank...

A trick-use LBB8 robot power and grav for small stuff. Seems to scale better. And making your vehicle robot first and go toy second might make sense for some.
Consider this Book8 is first iteration of MT, as such use MT.

Note I did mine MT for my final solution...

Unfortunately self drive robot brains come in at something like Cr10000+, price is ugly.

The robot approach also allows for four legged mules and horses for rough terrain, or possibly walkers if one is willing to extrapolate better armor then cloth.
MegaTraveller extrapolated legged transmission from LBB 8 so pretty easy to design walkers in Striker or MT. (Attached: 2 MegaTraveller mech designs I worked up for an article circa 1989)

Attachments

• lowpass015.jpg
    lowpass015.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 8
  • lowpass016.jpg
    lowpass016.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 8
Right now I am trying to figure out a laser for a light Grav Tank.

Man I have too many miniatures that need stats...

Back