• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Looks like Cutlass is back on the menu boys

Smarty blade, cuts only what you want cut.
Holy crap, that's clever. The Identification Friend-or-Foe (IFF) system it requires is going to have to be pretty high tech, but I like the idea! Use some kind of super-high-tech shape-memory alloy, and when the IFF detects a "friendly," the system briefly blunts the edges and tip.

Better: it can be manually put in "Friendly" mode, and then can pass for a non-edged ceremonial weapon until needed.

It should be mentioned that, at least in the Marches, piracy may be driven by forces other than profit. Close to Vargr space, you may have pirates aiming for prestige and status: boarding a ship and kidnapping important people generates more news and prestige than asking some unlucky merchantman to roll a few cargo containers into space for you to recover, even if it means reprisal raids on the nearest Vargr starports. Close to Sword World space, crippling unlucky merchantmen sows dissension by sending the message that the Imperium can't protect you.

Holy crap, that's clever. The Identification Friend-or-Foe (IFF) system it requires is going to have to be pretty high tech, but I like the idea! Use some kind of super-high-tech shape-memory alloy, and when the IFF detects a "friendly," the system briefly blunts the edges and tip.

Better: it can be manually put in "Friendly" mode, and then can pass for a non-edged ceremonial weapon until needed.
I've actually had that as an option. You have a blade of one sort or another, and it can not only cut you but delivers, say, an extremely potent poison when it does, meaning if you survive being sliced, you die a minute or two later from the poison. On top of that it has embedded security features and if you aren't the owner, it will 'defend' itself by poisoning you. The owner can also 'blunt' the cutting edge(s) when they want to, like when securing the blade on their person.

Other options might be it cuts and acts like a taser all-in-one, delivers an anti-coagulagen that keeps the cut from not bleeding massively, etc.

Back