• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: LSP Modular Pinnace

Nah.
I'll just be sticking with LBB2.81 and LBB5.80 plus some "reasonable homebrew" extensions/interpolations that prevent LBB2.81 from being quite so ... limiting and lacking in potential for possibilities. :sneaky:

Like I said previously, the LBB2.81 Drive Performance Table ISN'T WRONG (per se) ... just INCOMPLETE.
Once you can figure out the formula for how to extend LBB2.81 drive performance beyond the format limitations of the Table, it opens up a wealth of new tonnages and combinations that would have otherwise been ignored or considered useless.

Just as an aside, I went and read the LBB5 1979 edition … boy is the Ship design problematic at low TLs (where you can build a MD but cannot build any PP.)

(GO AHEAD, CONVINCE ME THAT IS A ”FEATURE”) ;)
It's a feature, that is so silly it was repeated in T5.

Why you'd want a M-drive that can't be powered, I have no idea...

What, nothing on Jump Torpedoes? :ROFLMAO:
As a relative newcomer to Traveller I started with LBB1-3'81, so I have never used or had an opinion about jump torpedoes.

If forced to have an opinion, I would say that the X-Boat would be redundant if we had jump torpedoes, so in TU with X-Boats there are no jump torpedoes. I'll go with the X-Boats...

As a relative newcomer to Traveller I started with LBB1-3'81, so I have never used or had an opinion about jump torpedoes.

If forced to have an opinion, I would say that the X-Boat would be redundant if we had jump torpedoes, so in TU with X-Boats there are no jump torpedoes. I'll go with the X-Boats...
They appeared in one of the Adventures and opened a whole "can of worms" about STARSHIPS less than 100 dTons (If a 5 dTon Torpedo can enter Jumpspace, then Why can't a 50 dTon Scout Ship?)

It was OFFICIALLY ruled "there are no Jump Torpedoes" by Marc ... but not before people started "discussing" it.
I like to tease about the issue with respect to the tonnage of the turret on a scout ship and the rules about EXACTLY 100 dTons - not 99 dT and not 101 dT - but a Scout Ship is delivered with a Hard Point and no turret. :devilish:

A Scout comes with a double turret, but no weapons.

Adding or deleting a turret does not change the displacement of the ship, so a 100 Dt Scout is 100 Dt with or without the turret. No problems or ambiguities there...

If we want to be silly, LBB2 requires a gunner for each turret, whether any weapons are installed or not. So, technically the Scout requires a gunner, despite not having any weapons...

LBB2'77, p18:
_ _ Scout/Courier (Type S): Using the type 100 hull, the scout/courier is equipped with 4 staterooms (which may accommodate double occupancy in non-passenger service), suitable for the crew of one (pilot) and additional crew members or passengers as the situation dictates. No low berths are installed. The ship has a jump drive- A, maneuver drive-A, and power plant-A, giving it a capability of 2 G acceleration and the ability to make jump-2. The hold contains an air/raft in a specially fitted compartment, and three tons of cargo hold space. One double turret is installed at the vessel’s single hardpoint, but no weaponry is included. Computer Model/1, with basic software package is installed. The hull is streamlined for atmospheric landings. Fuel tankage for 40 tons is included. Base price is set at CR 32,490,000.

They were originally in LBB2 77, and would later be mentioned in A4.
EXPENDABLES
Certain materials for starship (and non-starship) operation are not considered to
be routine operating expenses, but nevertheless involve occasional purchases on an
irregular basis. These include ammunition and repair parts.
Missiles: Missiles for missile launch racks are expended when they are fired;
replacements must be obtained for reloading purposes when the situation warrants.
Basically, a missile is of the homing type, costing about CR 5000 each. Such missiles
are committed to a specific target when fired, and after launch, home towards that
target until either the missile or the target is destroyed. Other types of missiles are
possible (for example, jump capable message torpedoes, or bombs for attacks
against planetary surfaces), but such require either specific alterations to ordinary
torpedoes, or location of an arms supplier who deals in such items. Specific
attributes of such non-standard missiles are the realm of the referee.

LSP Modular Cargo Box
Ship Type: AU (Merchant-A, Unpowered)
TL=9 (hybrid LBB5.80 design fitted with LBB2.81 standard drives, and off-the-shelf weapon systems) (LBB5.80, p18)
Tonnage (custom hull): 20 tons
Configuration: 4 (Close Structure, partially-streamlined, integral fuel scoops, MCr1.2)
Armor (code: 0)
Maneuver-0
Power Plant-0
Total Drives: 0+0 = 0 tons
Fuel: 0 tons
Hardpoints: 0
Cargo Hold: 20 tons (15m x 6m x 3m)
Total Cost: MCr1.2 (100% cost single production), MCr0.96 (80% cost volume production)
Getting back to the OP, I have to ask: Why does your TEU have integral Fuel scoops?

They are included for free on smallcraft.
Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something, but isn't a "Modular Cargo Box" one of these:

Container_%E3%80%90_22G1_%E3%80%91_WTPU_010097%281%29---No%2C1_%E3%80%90_Pictures_taken_in_Japan_%E3%80%91.jpg

So while I acknowledge that the rules allow for them to have free "streamlining" and "fuel scoops" (and I believe they can also have free "refreshers" and "air locks" and "fixed weapon mounts") ... are any of those things appropriate?

I was wondering if there was some SPECIAL USE for the "LSP Modular Cargo Box" that caused the fuel scoops to make sense?

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something, but isn't a "Modular Cargo Box" one of these:
No, I don't think so. I can of course not speak for the OP, but I think they are intended to also be external modules.

The "Modular Pinnace" is built with a smallcraft hangar, and the "Cargo Box" is a smallcraft hull.
The "Modular Pinnace" could presumably carry any smallcraft built to the same dimensions.

Functional equivalence. A box that is quickly loaded and unloaded from a transport.
And it's literally a 20-foot container (image sourced from Wikipedia, and labeled as such in the article), so it is by definition a Twenty-foot Equivalent Unit (TEU).

And it's literally a 20-foot container (image sourced from Wikipedia, and labeled as such in the article), so it is by definition a Twenty-foot Equivalent Unit (TEU).
Credit where it is due, they are correct that the LSP Modular Cargo Box is much larger than a TEU. The LSP Box is 20 Displacement Tons (270 cubic meters with a loaded mass of up to 200 metric tonnes given MegaTraveller assumptions. The TEU is just under 3 Displacement Tons (about 39 cubic meters with a loaded mass of 24 metric tonnes). I was comparing DESIGN and FUNCTION rather than size and asking why that FUNCTION wanted Fuel Scoops.

Last edited:
I was comparing DESIGN and FUNCTION rather than size and aking why that FUNCTION wanted Fuel Scoops.
For the record, I am not "hating" on the Fuel scoops.
I was just curious if @Spinward Flow had something specific in mind?

It's for those times when you need to dump a cargo container out the airlock into a gas giant's upper atmosphere to soak the cargo with liquid hydrogen.

You know. We've all been there.

Besides, it's a no-cost option.

Back