• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Maker Book 1: Beasts and Sophonts

Nathan Brazil

SOC-14 1K
Baronet
So I see that Maker Book 1 is out. Is this simply a reiteration/reformat of existing sections of the the 5.10 rules? Does it have new content? Most importantly has it been errata corrected? Some years ago in the errata thread, I pointed how the out the height and weight formulas for larger SIZE sophonts did not work right as variables were removed the formulas for such larger sophonts. Was this corrected?

It is largely a re-iteration of the rules for BeastMaker and Sophont creation. It does have several pieces of new content. The sophont and cultural personality descriptions are new. The details of government are new. There is an expanded section on eating beasts, and preparation. The section on Reproduction has been expanded. The Special abilities have been rewritten to use more of the existing T5 rules. There are several new examples of the system to highly how to apply the tables. Buying the book comes with a spreadsheet to do the dice rolling and table lookup for you. Many of the errata noted in the thread has been applied, though you will have to be specific about which you want to discuss.

You are the fourth person or so to ask about the POD version. Even I don't have an answer for that.

Well, if you're only going to offer it through DriveThruRPG, at least you didn't force the watermark. I'll wait for a POD+PDF bundle and then order.

I noticed something strange in the culture rules….Egotism gives a positive on Solidarity…so Selfish species would be more Collectivist and Selfless ones more Egoistic. (all the others make some type of sense)

I noticed something strange in the culture rules….Egotism gives a positive on Solidarity…so Selfish species would be more Collectivist and Selfless ones more Egoistic. (all the others make some type of sense)
Selfish as individuals or selfish as a society?

Selfish as individuals or selfish as a society?
The sophont “personality” trait of Egoism goes from Selfish to Selfless and feeds into the “culture” trait Solidarity that goes from Collectivist to Egoistic.
(I’m thing changing Solidarity to Self-reliance with Individualist high to Collectivist low)

Back