• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rules Only: Market simulation nuances

Spinward Flow

SOC-14 1K
Something that I was thinking about today while contemplating the turnaround time tempo for routine operations across jump distances was the how speculative cargo slows everything down.

Re-reading LBB2.81 more closely than I usually do, I noticed that it's basically a case of first checking ALL cargo already at the starport awaiting starships to transport it to various destinations ... the only limiting factor is a ship's jump capacity for what destinations are considered "in range" for specific ships.

Once a ship captain decides on a destination (so cargo can begin loading), passengers going to that destination begin to present themselves.

LBB2.81 plays very fast and loose with all of this with regards to transporting "other people's cargo for a fee" and passenger services. There isn't anything at all in LBB2.81 regarding the timing of how quickly cargo already at the starport waiting to be loaded takes to get onboard, how quickly passengers present themselves ... none of that has any time frames.

The closest you get to a time frame is the Speculative Cargo section at the end of LBB2.81 ... but even then the only thing you're told is that there is one roll for speculative cargoes per week.

LBB7 p42 adds that merchants are allowed 4 days to deliver goods to a waiting starship, and that this can be accelerated by 1 day at a 10% premium cost for advance delivery. But LBB7 made such a hash of its trade rules (normalizing everything into unwanted bland) that it's just hard to back port that into LBB2.81. Just about the only way it makes sense is for speculative cargoes to require 4 days to arrive after purchase by a captain ... but that's a speculative cargo ONLY kind of deal.

TTB doesn't add any useful text beyond what LBB2.81 had to say about cargo and passenger transport, nor with respect to the timing of speculative cargo.

So ... what I'm thinking here is that we may have the operational tempo of starship merchant operations "Wrong" as a matter of understanding the routine.

Think of airline planes at airports.
The planes don't fly in, unload their passengers/baggage/cargo and then spend the next several days sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off.

The name of the game for airline service is that planes which aren't in the air aren't earning money.
Planes that are sitting on the ground are COSTING money (maintenance, parts and spares, salaries, etc.).

The same economic principle(s) ought to apply to starships ... they just fly longer distances (and take longer than a few hours to do so).

So here's my current thinking on how CT market simulation of cargo and passengers ought to be handled.

1. Jump (150-175 hours)
  2. Breakout at Jump Point
  3. Maneuver (time varies) to starport (highport or downport)
  4. Craft Encounters (if any)
  5. Berth starship at starport
  6. Unload cargo and passengers (time varies)
  7. Ship's Admin begins checking cargo lists for all destinations from world
  8. Roll for speculative cargo, determine asking price to buy (this would NOT be a hidden value)
Now, it's at this point that timelines for operations begin to diverge.

First, there's the matter of speculative cargo.

If the speculative cargo on offer is being sold at a price point the Ship's Admin declines to buy at (this price should NOT be a secret before committing to buy!), then the starship doesn't need to "keep waiting longer" to prepare for departure after refueling.​
However, if the Ship's Admin decides to go ahead and buy the speculative cargo on offer, it's going to take another 4 days for that speculative cargo to be delivered to the starport (LBB7 p42).​
A decision on whether to buy/decline a price on a speculative cargo lot ought to be something that can be done within a couple of hours after arriving at the starport (or even before arrival if communications while inbound are not a security risk).​

Second, there's the consideration for refueling and drive maintenance.

A starship can either buy fuel (refined or unrefined) from a starport (Cr500 or Cr100 per ton) ... OR ... the starship can depart its berth (temporarily) for a wilderness refueling.​
If there's a water ocean on the world, scooping water fuel could take up to an hour for a suborbital "hop" to the ocean and an hour or few to fill the fuel tanks with unrefined fuel (depending on quantity, of course). Fuel purification of water requires 10 minutes per ton, so 60 tons of water takes 10 hours to refine/purify (and that refining is probably best done while on the ocean).​
If the nearest unrefined fuel is a gas giant (local orbit or other planetary orbit in the system) then it could take 6+ hours just to transit to the gas giant for an orbital skimming run. Fuel skimmed from a gas giant takes only 1 minute per ton to purify, so for large enough quantities of fuel it can sometimes take less time to make a long transit and a quick purification cycle run via gas giant rather than make a short transit and a long purification cycle run via a water ocean for a wilderness refueling run.​
The starship also, ostensibly ought to spend 16 hours on routine drive maintenance after jump (LBB5.80 p17). I figure this will usually be undertaken while the starship is berthed at the starport with the drives powered down (where it is safe to do so). That way, the drive routine drive checks can be made while the drives are not operating under load.​
Point being that under most nominal circumstances, a starship will usually "take a day" (or more) after unloading before it is ready to begin loading fresh cargo and passengers.​

So if a Ship's Admin declines to buy the speculative cargo on the market, once the starship is refueled and drive maintenance is completed it can announce its destination and begin loading cargo and taking on passengers bound for that destination. Assume this takes another day to complete.

If a Ship's Admin decides to buy the speculative cargo on the market, once the starship is refueled and drive maintenance is completed it will usually take another 2-4 days (depending on variables) before the speculative cargo arrives, so crew can take a couple days of local R&R before needing to report back to the ship for departure. During this time, the starship's destination can be announced so that cargo and passengers (and speculative cargo) can all be loaded in preparation for departure.

Point being that without a speculative cargo, turnaround time can be as little as 36-48 hours (1.5-2 days) in port, even with a wilderness refueling ... but with a speculative cargo deal in play, that time in port can expand to 96-144 hours (4-6 days) quite easily.

Once everything is loaded with everyone onboard, the starship departs the starport.
  1. Maneuver to Jump Point (time varies)
  2. Craft Encounters (if any)
  3. Prepare to Jump

The point I'm getting at here is that operational tempo WITHOUT speculative cargo is probably a 2-4 days FASTER turnaround time between jumps than an operational tempo WITH speculative cargo involved.

To put that into perspective:
  • Speculative Cargo NAY: 9-10 day turnaround
  • Speculative Cargo AYE: 12-14 day turnaround
That makes a difference in how many jumps per year a starship can perform.
  • 350 operational days per year / ~10 day turnaround = up to 35 jumps per year
  • 350 operational days per year / ~14 day turnaround = up to 25 jumps per year

In our (admittedly crude) modeling of starship economics, we're always assuming that tramp merchants jump "once every 2 weeks" ... and that is true if they're dealing in speculative cargoes (where the REAL MONEY is to be found!) ... but a tramp merchant that buys EVERY speculative cargo on offer, regardless of price to buy, is going to wing up bankrupt in far too many circumstances for comfort.

Likewise, a passenger liner that NEVER speculates on cargoes ought to be operating at a far faster tempo closer to 35 jumps per year, rather than the 25 jumps per year of the PURE speculative tramp freighter. That kind of operational tempo "advantage" to never speculating on cargoes ought to be factored into our calculus of just how profitable passenger services are relative to cargo transport services.

In other words, speculative cargo needs to be worth Cr1400+ per ton after arbitrage of buy low/sell high in order to "break even" relative to the revenue value of just shipping somebody else's cargo for a fee due to the delay in operational tempo that engaging in speculation ought to bring.

In other words, pure passenger liners ought to be more profitable over time (by jumping more often) than we've been giving them credit for if they aren't engaging any any cargo speculation at all relative to tramps that are speculating every time, everywhere they go.

this price should NOT be a secret before committing to buy!
As far as I can tell, and I honestly don't recall the system this happens under, the "secrecy" of the price is simply a mechanic to make the added cost of a broker or other agent, well, a gamble in the first place. "Do I gamble on paying for an agent".

It's also part of the RNG hunt for cargo in the first place.

Clearly, you should know up front the terms of the deal "Pray I don't alter it further". But, as a corollary, it's like shopping for a car pre-internet. Going from lot to lot looking at prices to find the best sticker deal, then sitting down with the sales team for the actual deal.

That works if somehow the purchasing of speculative goods is, indeed, a competitive market. To some point, that should be true. The ship is outright buying the goods, and then loading them up, hoping to sell it later rather than as an agent for some 3rd party. I mean, who WOULDN'T want to be picking up that load of Computers, so why wouldn't the holder sell them to the highest bidder? (And why isn't there some bidding process?)

In contrast to the freight scenario, where the customer is looking for the cheapest rate.

So all of that is combined in to, you know, what, 2 sentences of rules?

If a ship is purchasing speculative cargo, the price to buy should not be a secret.
You aren't going to commit to buy BEFORE finding out the price you're wanting to buy at!

Selling speculative cargo at the destination ... THAT price is definitely going to be a secret until it's revealed, that way you don't have a preview on whether or not hiring a broker is a good deal (or not). The best you can do when selling speculative goods at a destination is "load the odds in your favor" before rolling the dice.

Note that when going through a brokerage, the speculative cargo is turned over to the broker and they act as your agent to sell on your behalf (so as to get their commission). Technically speaking, once the speculative cargo is turned over to a broker, the starship doesn't even need to stick around and wait for the sale to complete. The broker will just communicate the funds from the sale of the goods to your bank balance and it will all reconcile eventually, even if your starship jumps out of the system before the broker completes their part of the sale (presumably via an auction of some kind).

In other words, by selling through a broker the "management" of the sale is no longer a time sensitive issue keeping a starship bound up in a berth at a starport. By using a broker, the starship is able to declare a next destination and prepare to move on, because the sale of those speculative goods is now the broker's responsibility (and the price they get determines the size of their commission, so higher prices are better for them too).

If a ship is purchasing speculative cargo, the price to buy should not be a secret.
You aren't going to commit to buy BEFORE finding out the price you're wanting to buy at!
It's a simple system. Allowing the players to select whether to buy after the dice are rolled, simply allows them to reject any bad rolls, effectively allowing them to re-roll until they get a good roll, making the roll pointless.

It's a simple system.
Yes. It is.
Pity not everyone understands it. :cautious:

Case in point ...
Allowing the players to select whether to buy after the dice are rolled, simply allows them to reject any bad rolls, effectively allowing them to re-roll until they get a good roll, making the roll pointless.
There is ONE speculative cargo on offer to purchase per week.

I'm going to say that again so the implications can seep in past the obstruction to understanding you've thrown up.

There is ONE speculative cargo on offer to purchase per week.

So ...
Question: How you get to a situation (and I quote you directly via copy/paste) "allowing them to re-roll until they get a good roll" ...?
Answer: You have to WAIT until NEXT WEEK ... when a DIFFERENT speculative cargo will be on offer to buy in order to reroll.

You know what that means in practice?

There are NO REROLLS for the price of THIS WEEK'S speculative cargo TO BUY.

I thought such things would be self-explanatory.

Buy first ... find out price after ... is kind of the epitome of Cart vs Horse (Round 1! Fight!).

Name the SUCCESSFUL business model founded upon the notion of committing to buy before the other party names their price.
Do shop at stores where the prices of things to buy are NOT listed on the shelves?

No ... you see the price first and then you decide if you want to buy at that price.

Price first ... decision to buy after.

SELLING works the way you were thinking.
When a starship is selling speculative cargo in their cargo hold, the order of operations is reversed.

Decision to sell first ... price sold at is learned after.

If the speculative cargo is turned over to a broker to sell, then there are definitely "no takebacks" on whatever price the speculative cargo sells for.

However ... if the speculative cargo is being "sold by owner" (the ship crew is controlling the sale) then they can approve or deny the sale after the (highest) bid offer for the speculative cargo comes in. But if you want a different roll on price to sell at ... you're going to need to wait a week before you can reroll on your sell price offered. For most starships, waiting a week in port is a week of lost business, so many times rather than waiting around for a whole week before attempting another sale (and rerolling the price to sell at) they'll just carry the speculative cargo to the next system and jump. However, sometimes a crew can tell that "last week was an off week" for that particular trade commodity and if they wait a week in port (so as to be able to reroll next week they might be able to score a better sell price point.

Seriously ... I shouldn't need to explain this.
It ought to be self-evident.

There are NO REROLLS for the price of THIS WEEK'S speculative cargo TO BUY.
But there is a new roll next week or next planet, so you re-roll every two weeks or so.

You don't have to, as far as I can see. The only specific requirement is that you have to pay the Broker whether you choose to sell or not.

And that is presumably why the system gets the characters rich quickly, as far as I recall; only buy on low roll results and only sell on high roll results. The Brokers make sure you mostly get high roll results selling.

Specifically about buying LBB2 says:
LBB2'81, p46:
The actual value table indicates the price such goods may be purchased for, by showing a percentage modification to the base price.

If the speculative cargo is turned over to a broker to sell, then there are definitely "no takebacks" on whatever price the speculative cargo sells for.
No:
LBB2'81, p48:
Broker's DMs: Four types of brokers are available to assist in the sale of goods once delivered to a world. Each must be paid his fee even if the seller decides not to sell his goods.
Nothing in the text forces you to buy or sell anything at any time.

But if you want a different roll on price to sell at ... you're going to need to wait a week before you can reroll on your sell price offered.
No:
LBB2'81, p46:
Upon arriving at a potential market, the selling price may also be determined as a percentage of the base price (not actual purchase price).
The selling price does not seem to fluctuate wildly on a weekly basis.

LBB2.81 plays very fast and loose with all of this with regards to transporting "other people's cargo for a fee" and passenger services. There isn't anything at all in LBB2.81 regarding the timing of how quickly cargo already at the starport waiting to be loaded takes to get onboard, how quickly passengers present themselves ... none of that has any time frames.
Except the obvious time frame:
LBB2'81, p4:
Commercial starships usually make two jumps per month. They spend one week in jump, followed by one week in the star system, travelling from the jump point to the local world, refuelling, marketing cargo, finding passengers, leaving the starport and proceeding to a jump point again. The week in the system usually provides some time for crew recreation and wandering around the planet.
This is the basic assumption underlying the trade systems.

I don’t want to work for a space jerk that gives me no planet time days off.

I don’t want to operate a ship and forego speculative cargo tries except in get the hell outta here situations.

The only caveat I would have to the proposed process is the decision to wait on speculative cargo pricing means departure day is scheduled for the normal day as it takes time to get that price.

There is haggling involved, planetside brokers trying to use time pressure as part of the negotiation vs. the ship buyer exerting their leave it in the warehouse pressure.

I also read that whole speculative process as the best deal possible, not just one item available. So, may simply take time to sort through available cargo, engage in haggling for each, and determine which one is ‘best’.

Side thought, if you want a more flexible speculation game, might allow for more then one potential cargo, but each one would cost at least +1 more then the first best offer- even one with more negative DMs normally.

So, where does it say in Book 2 '81 that the price is secret?

It basically says "Ref rolls cargo type, rolls quantity, roll price". It doesn't say any of these are "secret".

But there is a new roll next week or next planet, so you re-roll every two weeks or so.

You don't have to, as far as I can see. The only specific requirement is that you have to pay the Broker whether you choose to sell or not.

And that is presumably why the system gets the characters rich quickly, as far as I recall; only buy on low roll results and only sell on high roll results. The Brokers make sure you mostly get high roll results selling.

Specifically about buying LBB2 says:

No:

Nothing in the text forces you to buy or sell anything at any time.

No:

The selling price does not seem to fluctuate wildly on a weekly basis.

Except the obvious time frame:

This is the basic assumption underlying the trade systems.
I think the 2 week “commercial starships” would apply to organizations that have 1D6 ships on a route. A “starline” that has a dozen ships going back and forth may have 16 crews for 12 ships, so jump in, old crew takes a week off, new crew gets on in the next 3 days and jumps out, old crew gets on the next ship coming in. This would probably only occur if both ends of the jump were high pop and/or starport A.

I think the 2 week “commercial starships” would apply to organizations that have 1D6 ships on a route. A “starline” ...
I generally consider a permanent local factor and a fixed ship schedule to be the requirement for shortening the lay-over at the starport. That way the factor can drum up business, and queue it up for the right date, to have everything waiting when the ship arrives.

A single ship can hardly afford that, so I agree that would probably be a bigger "starline".

Back