• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Medics

he wouldn't be. but I was thinking more just "important people". if "some old guy" dies on a boat the crew may not think it's a big deal - until they learn that the old guy's granddaughter is a shipping magnate ceo who wants to know why they didn't take care of her grandfather.

on the other hand a minor noble might very well be on a safari boat - minor to the imperium, perhaps, but you'd better not act like he's minor.

etc.

Good point, a commercial craft carrying VIPs, or placing anyone in low berth, would of course do well to
hire a man rated at Medical-2.

But 1 is still solid.

It's a trained medic.

Now, more ideas:

Suk doctors were mentioned upthread.

Religious orders came up in a Dawnworld-related thread in another subforum.

How about an order of healers for Traveller?

Say they all have at least Medical -1 (or the equivalent of you are using some other rules system).
They take an oath similar to the Hippocratic Oath, with additional vows of poverty, obedience, and nonviolence-- maybe an exception for self defense and defense of those under their care, but they would try to avoid killing.
They either don't use weapons at all, or rely strictly on nonlethal devices.
Needler hypos?
A red cross seems like an obvious symbol, but they might use something else more distinctive, if red crosses are used in a more generic fashion.

Interesting stuff. A few thoughts:

...a vast taxpayer-supported dedicated medical system which can handle just about anything and is on standby 24/7.

In the ( US ) civilian world this is referred to as "definitive care." The job of an EMT or Medic is to stabilize someone who's sick or injured so that they can make the trip to definitive care. An EMT or Medic ( these represent different levels of skill ) in the US has a "scope of practice" outlined pretty hard in their training, very specific to their area of operation. Some places have a low transport time ( lots of hospitals close by ) and have a different set of rules than more rural areas with high transport times, for instance. Also, there are pretty specific rules about who you can "hand off" a patient to; summed up lots you can only hand off to someone "higher" ( licensed and more trained ) than you. EMT to medic, medic to nurse, PA, or Doc, and so on. All of this is just for background, perhaps to inform thinking. Other places today do it differently; in France for example every ambulance carries an MD.

There is a sweet Mongoose 1st edition supplement called "Special Supplement 4, Rescue Ops" that is worth peeking at if this topic is interesting to you; it was written by a firefighter. This supplement has career tables for "Healer."

I feel like an autodoc could be considered "definitive care," but I could also see this varying wildly from place to place in the Imperium.

Another point to considere is that, though both can be called medics, there are huge differences among the one serving on a ship (even a small one) and the one in a ground combat unit (mostly 1st echelon corpsmen):

First and foremost diference (as it has already been said) is that the ship's medic is out of any help (aside from whatever can be given by the crewmates), while the corpsman can rely on help and medevac.

This, of course, makes their resposabilites quite diferent. While I already told about the ship's doctor, the corpsman will be more concerned about first aid on injuried, leaving the other resposabilities (prevention, vaccines, etc...) for higher echelon. They also use to stay for more time in a single planet (probably even a single zone on it), so importing/exporting pathogens is not so much a concern.

Another difference is that while the corpsman must take care as he can be under fire, and so has to learn to survive in the battlefield (even if they are not shoot at specifically, they are in danger zones), the ship's medic, even in combat ships or situations, has to care less about this, as there is little he can do to avoid the ship to be hit.

Is there a skill level requirement difference in the '77 and '81 CT rules, for ship's medics?

I'm looking, but I thought somebody might know.

CT 81 explicitly says Medic-1 one or better.

True, but to have the +1 DM for surviving low berth you need medical 2+, so I guess most ships that carry low passengers will try to have their medics trained at this skill levels...

As for Mercenary medical needs (I guess moe or less applicable to most ground military forces):

resumed from LBB4, pages 29-30:
  • Platoon: 1 skill level per 10 men (specifically designed medics double their skill for this)
  • Company: 1 designated medic with skill level 2+ (aside from the platoons' corpsmen)
  • Larger: dependant on outside facilities available. If none, "a company sized or larger unit should have as a mínimum one suregeon and several assistants" (remember, a surgeon is Medical 3+ and Dex 8+).

So, see that while small units needs are quite detailed, larger ones depend on outside facilities (passibility of medevac, something unavailable in ships). If they are adecuate, no true doctor is usually needed...

Anybody here use those in play?

one is depicted very well in the movie "passengers", but I can't see how it could work for anything but the most routine and simple operations. merely assessing, let alone treating, someone that has an abdominal wound and a sucking chest wound and is missing half a hand is mechanically difficult, not to mention algorithmically difficult, and no "table-doc" is going to be able to do it.

I do but it's usually more of a tool for the ship's medic. Sometimes the doc's not available y'know? And then there are the fun times where the doc is the one hurt bad.

Coolios.

On an unrelated note, do you guys think I should keep my screenname or change it?
In Nov of 2007 I was not long out of the Army, and I had previously used 'combatmedic' as an easy to recall screenname on another gaming forum. At the time, it seemed like a logical choice.

Now I wonder if people think it seems like bragging. I really don't want to come off as a "keyboard ninja" or some crap like that.

I am glad I enlisted when I did and I'm proud of the life-saving work I did as part of a team. My experiences in Iraq, working in evac and being attached to infantry and FA units for a time, really helped make me a better human being. But it's not something I ever write about (this being a rare exception) and I wonder if the screenname doesn't really fit these days.

Just curious what people thought.

My Cr0.02; leave it be, there is nothing wrong with it and you earned it the hard way.

As to the autodoc question, I have them as common at TL12+.

More primitive versions at TL9-11 are less capable, and are much bigger and expensive

I do but it's usually more of a tool for the ship's medic. Sometimes the doc's not available y'know? And then there are the fun times where the doc is the one hurt bad.

I fully agree on this. An autodoc is good for routine caring (including stabilized patients watching), but I've always guessed people preferes other people to care for them, even if only for a hope for empathy.

someone that has an abdominal wound and a sucking chest wound and is missing half a hand is mechanically difficult, not to mention algorithmically difficult, and no "table-doc" is going to be able to do it.

Neither a single medic or doctor would be able to treat this kind of patient. This is a case for a multi disciplinar team to treat.

If in a ground unit, it would be good for fast drug and medevc (there's little more a single person can do for him), in a ship, for emergency low berth and hope for the best.

My Cr0.02; leave it be, there is nothing wrong with it and you earned it the hard way.

Aside from agreeing in this, changing user name sometimes confuses people about who are thy talking to...

On an unrelated note, do you guys think I should keep my screenname or change it?

Keep it, as has been stated, you earned it. You have, to my recollection, already done an excellent job NOT using your experience as a constant bid for authority. That's what a "keyboard ninja" does, relying on proposed knowledge without the relevant skill or experience.

I don't recall ever having a moment of "OMG, what the heck is he going to say now?" when I see that you've posted something.

You're doing fine, thanks for your service.

D.

Back