• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Merchants Run

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
I still don't see why fuel can't be included in the engineering compartment though :confused:
Probably some sort of regulatory thing... for instance, in my automobile, I notice that the fuel tank and the internal combustion engine are located on opposite sides of something called a "firewall"...

:D

In fact, given your reference to pressurization, I'll bet that in "Ship Vaporized" hit results (which, IMTU, are usually just "Ship Hull Permanently Compromised So Turn Your Engines Off Before They Rip Out Of Their Mountings") it's the main compartmentalization bulkhead that fails... hmmm...

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
I still don't see why fuel can't be included in the engineering compartment though :confused:
Probably some sort of regulatory thing... for instance, in my automobile, I notice that the fuel tank and the internal combustion engine are located on opposite sides of something called a "firewall"...

:D

In fact, given your reference to pressurization, I'll bet that in "Ship Vaporized" hit results (which, IMTU, are usually just "Ship Hull Permanently Compromised So Turn Your Engines Off Before They Rip Out Of Their Mountings") it's the main compartmentalization bulkhead that fails... hmmm...

Originally posted by Jeffr0:

These rules are evil! OTOH, I'm having more fun with ship designs that I have with any other version I've tried. I love how I don't need a calculator to do all the math. It's a beautiful system, even with its quirks.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

And that, fellow Citizens, is why Book 2 must survive.

[My opinion: All of the other systems are simply High Guard in one costume or another. [Subnote: even Space Master's ship design system is simply a variant on High Guard.] Thus, Book 2 for smaller starships, and High Guard for larger ones, covers all bases.]

[Adjusted opinion: is HG just a variant of WarpWar?]

Originally posted by Jeffr0:

These rules are evil! OTOH, I'm having more fun with ship designs that I have with any other version I've tried. I love how I don't need a calculator to do all the math. It's a beautiful system, even with its quirks.

[My opinion: All of the other systems are simply High Guard in one costume or another. [Subnote: even Space Master's ship design system is simply a variant on High Guard.] Thus, Book 2 for smaller starships, and High Guard for larger ones, covers all bases.]

Originally posted by robject:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jeffr0:
(Snip)

</font>[/QUOTE]I'm told that Book 2 ships are at a disadvantage when faced with High Guard ships. I'm not quite sure how, at least not to the point where I can explain.

And there has got to be a way to make Jump 2+ ships profitable under Book 2 rules!

Originally posted by robject:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jeffr0:
(Snip)

</font>[/QUOTE]I'm told that Book 2 ships are at a disadvantage when faced with High Guard ships. I'm not quite sure how, at least not to the point where I can explain.

And there has got to be a way to make Jump 2+ ships profitable under Book 2 rules!

Originally posted by Jame:
I'm told that Book 2 ships are at a disadvantage when faced with High Guard ships. I'm not quite sure how, at least not to the point where I can explain.
Run some B2 ships against some HG2 ships in HG2 combat. HG2 ships have Armor, Agility, Screens, and much heavier Weapons, not to mention the fact that they can be 200 times (or more) bigger. In addition, as a tragic flaw of HG2 combat, whomever brings the biggest Computer to the fight is already halfway to victory.

For better or worse, High Guard is a wargame incidentally shoved into a role-playing context via some additional bits. Book 2 is a set of rules for using spaceships in a role-playing game.

I'm told that Book 2 ships are at a disadvantage when faced with High Guard ships. I'm not quite sure how, at least not to the point where I can explain.
Run some B2 ships against some HG2 ships in HG2 combat. HG2 ships have Armor, Agility, Screens, and much heavier Weapons, not to mention the fact that they can be 200 times (or more) bigger. In addition, as a tragic flaw of HG2 combat, whomever brings the biggest Computer to the fight is already halfway to victory.

For better or worse, High Guard is a wargame incidentally shoved into a role-playing context via some additional bits. Book 2 is a set of rules for using spaceships in a role-playing game.

I'm told that Book 2 ships are at a disadvantage when faced with High Guard ships.
Oh, absolutely, as Boom has explained well.

I'm not saying Book 2 can replace HG. Something like HG will always be with us.

I'm not even saying that Book 2 ought not be updated. To some degree, various bits can be added in without hurting it.

I am saying that nothing can replace Book 2, except something else like Book 2.

I'm told that Book 2 ships are at a disadvantage when faced with High Guard ships.
Oh, absolutely, as Boom has explained well.

I'm not saying Book 2 can replace HG. Something like HG will always be with us.

I'm not even saying that Book 2 ought not be updated. To some degree, various bits can be added in without hurting it.

I am saying that nothing can replace Book 2, except something else like Book 2.

Just a bump and notice that this is deadline week for Phase 1. Entries should be in sometime this week so I can look at them on the weekend but if you're a little late no worry. There's still lots of time to work up a design per the rules on page one of this thread. And there's no need to read the whole thread to enter. Interesting though it is, much of it was clarifying the contest which I think is answered in the rules.

I wonder if I could also get a quick show of hands of who intends to enter?

Just a bump and notice that this is deadline week for Phase 1. Entries should be in sometime this week so I can look at them on the weekend but if you're a little late no worry. There's still lots of time to work up a design per the rules on page one of this thread. And there's no need to read the whole thread to enter. Interesting though it is, much of it was clarifying the contest which I think is answered in the rules.

I wonder if I could also get a quick show of hands of who intends to enter?

Well, sadly, there are no entries as yet and it's 2 days past the deadline. Unless several of you, or even two of you I guess, are madly processing them as I type and I have them this evening this little contest will have to go dormant for the time being. RealLife is picking up steam for me and the window to run this thing is closing fast. I may ressurect it when things slow down enough again but it may be a while.

I'd like to hear what your reasons for not entering were. Maybe I can fix them should I try this again.

Well, sadly, there are no entries as yet and it's 2 days past the deadline. Unless several of you, or even two of you I guess, are madly processing them as I type and I have them this evening this little contest will have to go dormant for the time being. RealLife is picking up steam for me and the window to run this thing is closing fast. I may ressurect it when things slow down enough again but it may be a while.

I'd like to hear what your reasons for not entering were. Maybe I can fix them should I try this again.

I did not see the post about the deadline coming up, and on top of that, I was at KublaCon a lot this weekend and fairly 'unplugged' from all kinds of other commitments. Who will dare take me on?

I did not see the post about the deadline coming up, and on top of that, I was at KublaCon a lot this weekend and fairly 'unplugged' from all kinds of other commitments. Who will dare take me on?

Sorry, Far-trader. When I indicated earlier that I wanted in, I neglected to check my calendar. I've been occupied with getting my son grauduated from high school - and his parties, and so on...

I am also trying to get the CT reprints, so I have the right rules.

Sorry, Far-trader. When I indicated earlier that I wanted in, I neglected to check my calendar. I've been occupied with getting my son grauduated from high school - and his parties, and so on...

I am also trying to get the CT reprints, so I have the right rules.

Back