• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Merchants Run

Cool tool Genjuro, thank you very much :D

Now how can we turn this creative boredom state to our own evil needs
file_23.gif
;)

Is the engineering section a _limit_ on how big my jump, plant, and maneuver drives can be?

Or does it only serve to force me to make wasted space if my drives are less than that amount?

Is the engineering section a _limit_ on how big my jump, plant, and maneuver drives can be?

Or does it only serve to force me to make wasted space if my drives are less than that amount?

Originally posted by Jeffr0:

Yes, it's the upper limit (under Book 2), and yes, you end up wasting space of you don't fill it.

I almost always end up building custom hulls as a result.

Yes, it's the upper limit (under Book 2), and yes, you end up wasting space of you don't fill it.

I almost always end up building custom hulls as a result.

Then a J2 200-ton ship is impossible under Book 2???

Or did I read that wrong last night?
No worries; you just read it wrong.

It's possible, but not using the standard hull; you'll have to spend extra (money and time) and build a custom 200-dton hull with either a 25-dton Engineering section (if using all drives-B), or a 23-dton Engineering section (if Maneuver-A will suit you). In addtion to the more expensive drives, the custom hull will cost you an additional MCr10 or so beyond the standard version, IIRC...

The whole Engineering section business, by the way, is a holdover from early (now deprecated) editions of Book 2 in which the Select-n application programs merely allowed an enemy Gunner to choose whether the drive section or the rest of the ship takes his hit; later versions allow Gunners to target more specific subsystems. It's also in there to make it nearly impossible to upgrade a ship's drives once it's built. (I get around this by rebuilding the entire hull at 10% of its cost, but that's a major job, requiring a new architect and everything...)

No worries; you just read it wrong.

It's possible, but not using the standard hull; you'll have to spend extra (money and time) and build a custom 200-dton hull with either a 25-dton Engineering section (if using all drives-B), or a 23-dton Engineering section (if Maneuver-A will suit you). In addtion to the more expensive drives, the custom hull will cost you an additional MCr10 or so beyond the standard version, IIRC...

The whole Engineering section business, by the way, is a holdover from early (now deprecated) editions of Book 2 in which the Select-n application programs merely allowed an enemy Gunner to choose whether the drive section or the rest of the ship takes his hit; later versions allow Gunners to target more specific subsystems. It's also in there to make it nearly impossible to upgrade a ship's drives once it's built. (I get around this by rebuilding the entire hull at 10% of its cost, but that's a major job, requiring a new architect and everything...)

As boomslang noted it is the maximum amount of drives total allowed in a hull, a standard hull that is. The standard hulls listed in the table (Book 2 pg. 22) come at a discount in both the cost and the time to build. A custom hull on the other hand costs MCr0.1 per ton as per Book 2 pg.13...

WOW, how did I forget or not see that before :confused: :rolleyes: There is an interesting caveat to the price of a custom hull: "minimum price MCr20"

Hmm, oh well, who knew there was still something to learn (or relearn ;) ) after all these years

So you can avoid wasted space in the hull by going with a custom hull, but it will cost more (until you hit 800tons) and take longer to build (custom hulls use the Build Time listed in the Drive Potential table (Book 2 pg. 22) based on the highest drive letter installed.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

My mind was playing tricks with me and old house rules, build time is based on hull size not drives.

Close. A standard hull J2 200ton ship can't be done. You'd have to use a custom hull.

It is my opinion however, based on trying, that a 200ton J2 ship can't possibly make money under the trade rules if new, at least not without speculation. A 400ton hull looks like the smallest possible. Being proven wrong would be cool but I can't even do it with the changes to the standard hulls table for MTU where the 200ton standard hull has 25tons of drives space, specifically to allow J2 designs.

As boomslang noted it is the maximum amount of drives total allowed in a hull, a standard hull that is. The standard hulls listed in the table (Book 2 pg. 22) come at a discount in both the cost and the time to build. A custom hull on the other hand costs MCr0.1 per ton as per Book 2 pg.13...

WOW, how did I forget or not see that before :confused: :rolleyes: There is an interesting caveat to the price of a custom hull: "minimum price MCr20"

Hmm, oh well, who knew there was still something to learn (or relearn ;) ) after all these years

So you can avoid wasted space in the hull by going with a custom hull, but it will cost more (until you hit 800tons) and take longer to build (custom hulls use the Build Time listed in the Drive Potential table (Book 2 pg. 22) based on the highest drive letter installed.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

My mind was playing tricks with me and old house rules, build time is based on hull size not drives.

Close. A standard hull J2 200ton ship can't be done. You'd have to use a custom hull.

It is my opinion however, based on trying, that a 200ton J2 ship can't possibly make money under the trade rules if new, at least not without speculation. A 400ton hull looks like the smallest possible. Being proven wrong would be cool but I can't even do it with the changes to the standard hulls table for MTU where the 200ton standard hull has 25tons of drives space, specifically to allow J2 designs.

Originally posted by far-trader:
Most Consistently-Overlooked Cash Cow Skill in CT: Naval Architect.

"Nice yacht." "Thank you; I designed it myself, you know..."

Originally posted by far-trader:
Most Consistently-Overlooked Cash Cow Skill in CT: Naval Architect.

"Nice yacht." "Thank you; I designed it myself, you know..."

Wah!

These rules are evil! OTOH, I'm having more fun with ship designs that I have with any other version I've tried. I love how I don't need a calculator to do all the math. It's a beautiful system, even with its quirks.

By the way, far trader. I hate your Locked-In Generate program. It's always underfoot. :(

Wah!

These rules are evil! OTOH, I'm having more fun with ship designs that I have with any other version I've tried. I love how I don't need a calculator to do all the math. It's a beautiful system, even with its quirks.

By the way, far trader. I hate your Locked-In Generate program. It's always underfoot. :(

Very soon, you will have the tables memorized (one hint: j-drives start at 10 and add 5 per, m-drives start at 1 and add 2 per, p-plants start at 4 and add 3 per; don't forget to skip "I" and "O"), and you can do the whole thing in your head... ;)

Welcome, Traveller...
file_23.gif

Very soon, you will have the tables memorized (one hint: j-drives start at 10 and add 5 per, m-drives start at 1 and add 2 per, p-plants start at 4 and add 3 per; don't forget to skip "I" and "O"), and you can do the whole thing in your head... ;)

Welcome, Traveller...
file_23.gif

Shhhh, you're not supposed to reveal the secret formulae... ;)

In original LBB2 the engineering compartment was described as shielded, while the main compartment is pressurised. That always suggested to me that the engines were off limits unless in a vacc suit.

I still don't see why fuel can't be included in the engineering compartment though :confused:

Shhhh, you're not supposed to reveal the secret formulae... ;)

In original LBB2 the engineering compartment was described as shielded, while the main compartment is pressurised. That always suggested to me that the engines were off limits unless in a vacc suit.

I still don't see why fuel can't be included in the engineering compartment though :confused:

Back