• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mgt art

Status
Not open for further replies.
vagr.jpg

I hereby close this thread

;)

bit late to the discussion, apologies

neither of those vargr / gnoll pictures comes close to my expectation of vargr

hard to explain exactly why but its all the details together that come out wrong. Most obvious is the legs and overly long hair

on a less personal imagination level .... the hammers slammers book art

Having spent half an hour skimming thru the sourcebook I have to say the artwork killed my almost automatic purchase impulse. So much of the artwork is .... pathetic probably comes closest .... especially those 'battle maps'. Several pages of jarring childish "battleship" style maps that dont tell any kind of story in a text-light book

Yeah, those maps are pretty disappointing. The tanks and weapons were fine, though the tanks were a little pixelated in my copy. But the map? Yikes. I could, and have, done better.

bit late to the discussion, apologies

neither of those vargr / gnoll pictures comes close to my expectation of vargr

hard to explain exactly why but its all the details together that come out wrong. Most obvious is the legs and overly long hair

on a less personal imagination level .... the hammers slammers book art

Having spent half an hour skimming thru the sourcebook I have to say the artwork killed my almost automatic purchase impulse. So much of the artwork is .... pathetic probably comes closest .... especially those 'battle maps'. Several pages of jarring childish "battleship" style maps that dont tell any kind of story in a text-light book

The best illo. of a Vargr I ever saw was done by Michael Vilari (sp?) I think. I believe it was in a Traveller's Digest. It was a black and white line drawing. This bad-arsed looking Vargr was plowing away with an autorifle.

The look of the Vargr was...perfect. Vargr are so hard to make look "right". I wish I coud find an image of it on the net someplace to show everyone. It was a very, very good looking Vargr.

It serves as my example of what Vargr should look like.

The drawing looked "believeable", "realistic" even (even though we're talking about a wolf walking on his hind legs). And, still, the pic had a lot of action in it.

One of my players used the pic for his Vargr for all of one of my longer Traveller campaigns. His Vargr in that campaign had gotten his eye punched out, so he came to the game with an eye-patched drawn on his Vargr.

The awesome looking Vargr got that much more cooler looking with it.

But Aslan are not not lion-men. They are sentient aliens who have a vague resemblance to lions. Please tell me you're able to appreciate the difference between "vaguely resembling lions" and "being anthropomorphic lions".

The Aslans aren't cat people. Don't take my word for it, though. Ask Loren Wiseman or any of the other GDW people who created them.

Uplifted dogs and cats aren't dog and cat people in the Space Opera sense, come to that, but with the difficulty you have understanding the nature of the Aslans, I figure it's a lost cause trying to make you realize that.

Hans

Dude I find you comments some what ironic, bordering on insult,
your thinking is full of very weak assumption, that you are trying to use to cover an even weaker stand point, (and trying to make out I'm stupid at the same time by implying your intentionally warpped and wrong point of veiw, is mine, desperate much?)

"vaguely resembling lions" and "being anthropomorphic lions".

Lion People, they come from cat DNA, and still retain much of that, in muzzle and fur and tail, etc

So yes they are very much lion people, and its not vague in any sense of the word, as its quite unmistakable that they are in their appearance alone,
Humaniod Cats, genetically engineered from feline DNA,

So dude, They are Physically, Literally Lion People, its True, thats exactly what they are, Humaniod Cats, genetically engineered from feline DNA, (Aslan = Lion, not that much of a clue to you hu?)

get over it,

Except, Pathfinder, the Aslan are not Ancients uplifts. They are not derived from Terran cats at all, except perhaps in Mongoose's view. See Alien Module 1: Aslan. See DGP's Solomani & Aslan. No terran DNA, only Terran Jump Drives.

Unlike the Vargr, which are explicitly uplifts, the Aslan are parallelism. And unlike lions, do have multiple adult males in the pride.

Last edited:
"vaguely resembling lions" and "being anthropomorphic lions".

Lion People, they come from cat DNA, and still retain much of that, in muzzle and fur and tail, etc
No, they're not. They evolved on their own world and have less cat DNA than a rutabaga. There's lots and lots of canon material which makes that clear, as well as repeated statements from one of the original GDW people that Aslans are not cat people.

So yes they are very much lion people, and its not vague in any sense of the word, as its quite unmistakable that they are in their appearance alone, Humaniod Cats, genetically engineered from feline DNA,
Exactly the reason why I object to Mongoose's illustrations of the Aslan. They convey the false impression that you've just expressed: that they are genetically engineered from feline DNA.

So dude, They are Physically, Literally Lion People, its True, thats exactly what they are, Humaniod Cats, genetically engineered from feline DNA, (Aslan = Lion, not that much of a clue to you hu?)
It's a clue that the Terran explorers who first encountered them spoke Turkish. Nothing else.

Hans

It's a clue that the Terran explorers who first encountered them spoke Turkish. Nothing else.

Not even that... they could have been fans of CS lewis, instead if, or in addition to, speaking Turkish.

I just got this in a PM,

Originally Posted by aramis
Dear PathfinderAP,

You have received an infraction at Citizens of the Imperium.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
-------
You outright call Hans stupid. And strongly imply him to be a liar.

And your tone was way over the line.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Put your money where your mouth is pal, show me where I called him personal "Stupid"

And then show me where I implied he was a Lair"

I just got this in a PM,

Originally Posted by aramis
Dear PathfinderAP,

You have received an infraction at Citizens of the Imperium.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
-------
You outright call Hans stupid. And strongly imply him to be a liar.

And your tone was way over the line.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Put your money where your mouth is pal, show me where I called him personal "Stupid"

And then show me where I implied he was a Lair"

I must say that I never got either implication, nor took offense at anything Pathfinder said. And if he believed that Aslans actually were uplifted lions, I can also see why he might take my previous post amiss. I've no complaints.

Hans

PS. I would have PMed this, but I can't send to two people at the same time.

Last edited:
Not even that... they could have been fans of CS Lewis, instead if, or in addition to, speaking Turkish.
True.

I do have a vague notion that it has been said somewhere that the humans in that region included a lot of people of Turkish descent, but I can't remember where and may be mistaken.

Hans

True.

I do have a vague notion that it has been said somewhere that the humans in that region included a lot of people of Turkish descent, but I can't remember where and may be mistaken.

Hans

I believe that it was in ether the GT Core Book or GT: Alien Races 2.

I must say that I never got either implication, nor took offense at anything Pathfinder said. And if he believed that Aslans actually were uplifted lions, I can also see why he might take my previous post amiss. I've no complaints.

Hans

PS. I would have PMed this, but I can't send to two people at the same time.

I read both the Vargr and Kree books many years ago, (and didn't like either so stopped) but I'm sure I read somewhere that both the Vargr and Aslan were from Terran animals,

Weird, if not true, because I'm also sure I'm not the only one that thought this.

Given the number of complaints this thread has generated, both officially and in PMs, I think that is has served it's purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back