• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

(MGT1) The biggest primitive rocket

TheDark

SOC-11
I decided to goof around a bit and bend the rules from Golden Age Starships' Archaic Small Craft rules for launch vehicles. It says to strap multiple launch vehicles together if you want a vehicle larger than 100 tons. Buuuut...I decided to to a Sea Dragon. Calculating it as a cylinder plus a cone, I came up with a displacement of approximately 3800 dTons. So, using High Guard to figure out the necessary equipment for a hull code CB rocket, here's what I wound up with:
Sea Dragon​
Tons​
Price (MCr)​
Hull​
3800 tons​
380.00​
Streamlined​
Armor​
None​
Maneuver Drive 4​
4G​
Reaction​
66.5​
33.25​
Power Plant 4​
Rating 4​
Chemical​
159.6​
199.50​
Fuel​
0.25 Thrust-Hours​
3 Hours Power​
3054.25​
Bridge​
1.5​
19.00​
Computer​
Model/1​
0.03​
Cargo​
480.15​
Extras​
Parachute​
38​
3.80​
Total​
3800​
635.83​

The parachute makes the rocket reusable. If you really need to get 500 dTons to orbit in a single launch it can be removed. That ends up being a very expensive launch, though, since you're throwing away a ~630 MCr rocket.

This was mostly just me seeing how much I could stretch the rules and have a little fun with ridiculously big primitive rockets. If anyone finds a use for it, great!

I made a math error - it should be 635.58 MCr total. I had a placeholder 0.25 MCr in one of the fields while figuring out what the actual cost would be, and forgot to remove the 0.25 MCr when I found the correct cost.

Back