• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MgT2 stats for VRF Gauss Gun?

Jetrock

SOC-8
Are there MgT 2 stats for the classic Traveller high-tech crew-served weapon, the VRF Gauss Gun? Can't find it in the MgT 2 equipment list or central supply catalog, despite having been Traveller canon since LBB 4. Are there stats for the VRF Gauss Gun in a Mongoose supplement somewhere, or am I missing it in the books?

Both are for MgT1E ,but maybe this ca nhelp you:

• Book 1 (Mercenary): describes the VRF Gaus Rifle among heavy weapons. WHile specified as Rifle, it's said to need a "stationary pintle-mount" when not used with powered armor.
  • Suplement 6 (Military Vehicles): the VRF Gauss Gun appears among the weaponry available. It's quite similar to the VRF Gaus Rifle above in performance, though lower TL

Referee's Briefing 4: Mercenary Forces:
x1lG4Qx.png

The text is copied from the previous entry, it's a misspelled Gatling Laser.

The Traveller Companion discusses ammo usage briefly.

LBB4 VRF Gauss gun struck me more as a point defense/phalanx kind of weapon. That 30000 round weapon bay is Not Casual.

LBB4 VRF Gauss gun struck me more as a point defense/phalanx kind of weapon. That 30000 round weapon bay is Not Casual.

It's a mid-range support weapon offering suppressive fire.

However, there was a day when we had a free afternoon, an APC with a mounted VRF, and a map from the Boot Hill game.

We were cruising down the street when the saloon door swung open and gunslinger said "Draw, Stranger!"

We pivoted the VRF around at him and let off a burst. We wrote a small program to roll all the dice lol.

"Play misty for me".

It's a mid-range support weapon offering suppressive fire.

However, there was a day when we had a free afternoon, an APC with a mounted VRF, and a map from the Boot Hill game.

We were cruising down the street when the saloon door swung open and gunslinger said "Draw, Stranger!"

We pivoted the VRF around at him and let off a burst. We wrote a small program to roll all the dice lol.

"Play misty for me".

Hmm.

I guess I'm more of a Death Star run point blank fighter between the nuclear damper projectors VRF gauss gun with Californium round kinda guy.

Hmm.

I guess I'm more of a Death Star run point blank fighter between the nuclear damper projectors VRF gauss gun with Californium round kinda guy.

Well, I think the best modern rendition of just a sample of the VRF is the boat extract from "Act of Valor". Couple of brown water boats with some mini-guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0vZY0m6INU&t=114s

The VRF is more impressive by its Gauss nature and performance (4mm, 4 grams, 4500m/s -- 30,000(!!!) ft/lb of energy), vs it's rate of fire. The modern mini-gun is comparable in terms of ROF.

Referee's Briefing 4: Mercenary Forces:
x1lG4Qx.png

The text is copied from the previous entry, it's a misspelled Gatling Laser.

The Traveller Companion discusses ammo usage briefly.

I suppose they might be similar in performance, but gauss guns are slug throwers, not energy weapons; the LBB4 VRF Gauss Gun used similar ammunition to the gauss rifle (4mm slug) but at much higher velocities, definitely a heavy crew-served or vehicle-mounted weapon. Although I suppose the AP trait gives it a more realistic profile, since a hypervelocity 4mm round will punch through substantial armor, but won't necessarily do more damage to a body than a gaussrifle round of similar caliber but lower velocity. It is more of a point defense weapon. But this does provide a weapon of similar profile, short of official stats--thanks!

That is the official VRF Gauss Gun, the title in the table is just mistaken, and misspelt.

Great, thank you! I note that the weight means that it can be installed in battledress as a "heavy mount" weapon, which does make sense, although I assume they'd have to be followed by another trooper in logistics battledress to hump extra hoppers of 4mm ammunition like an ultra-tech version of the loader of a two-man MG team festooned with belts of .30-06 for a Browning M1919.

Great, thank you! I note that the weight means that it can be installed in battledress as a "heavy mount" weapon, which does make sense, although I assume they'd have to be followed by another trooper in logistics battledress to hump extra hoppers of 4mm ammunition like an ultra-tech version of the loader of a two-man MG team festooned with belts of .30-06 for a Browning M1919.

I'm sure it's just me, but I've honestly never viewed Combat Armor or Battle Dress as some sort of "mech" suit. It's powered armor, for sure, but the idea of being able to mount something like a VRF Gun on it just doesn't work for me.

I know, I've seen Predator too, but, that's no VRF Gun. The darn things are 2000kg (in Book 4).

I'm sure it's just me, but I've honestly never viewed Combat Armor or Battle Dress as some sort of "mech" suit. It's powered armor, for sure, but the idea of being able to mount something like a VRF Gun on it just doesn't work for me.

I know, I've seen Predator too, but, that's no VRF Gun. The darn things are 2000kg (in Book 4).

The CT BD in Striker had a carry weight of 100kg extra, you can fit a lot of goodies on there including my beloved RP-A plasma gun or even an RP-B plus extra fusion power, but not something that big.

TL12 sized down to 250kg from the LBB4 TL10 version seems a reasonable extrapolation. But again, why tie yourself to the ammo monkey that thing is if you are high tech enough not to?

Yeah, I've always seen the VRF gauss gun as the ultimate slug-thrower point-defence weapon, not something to mount even on a vehicle, never mind a battledress. I did always see it as a pity that high-tech projectile weapons never happen in Traveller because energy weapons are already better at those tech levels than the slug-throwers would be if reasonably extrapolated.

I guess it's down to which you prefer, I know in the 70s and 80s energy weapons were the thing in SF while projectiles are more common on the screen from the 90s. If like me you prefer bullets, you could push energy weapons up a TL or two to allow for those Gauss Guns, Man-Portable and Advanced Combat GPMGs.

A quarter tonne seems a rather hefty weight.

At this point, you'd have to be thinking Terminator armour to schlep it around.

The CT BD in Striker had a carry weight of 100kg extra, you can fit a lot of goodies on there including my beloved RP-A plasma gun or even an RP-B plus extra fusion power, but not something that big.

Armor or no, able to lift it or not, just imagine someone who's standing swinging the thing around and not tipping over.

"TL-15 -- gravitic anchoring system. Synthetically increases the weight of the boots 1000 fold to act as an anchor."

Armor or no, able to lift it or not, just imagine someone who's standing swinging the thing around and not tipping over.

"TL-15 -- gravitic anchoring system. Synthetically increases the weight of the boots 1000 fold to act as an anchor."

I believe the RP guns drop in kg and therefore size as they miniaturize even that far back in CT Striker.

Ah here we go, for TL15 RP-A, 17kg. Very much like a TL6 support MG.

Easy to maneuver.

The real problem is going to be the recoil. It's referred to as a vehicle mounted weapon, and I'm assuming that's because it's firing a stream that can penetrate unarmored starship hull and obliterate all BD wearers in a 10m radius around the aimpoint.

It would also require a hefty fusion/battery pack and fire control for that multi-kilometer range.

So, MAAAAYBE you have to have a gravitic compensator, a power harness, mount it on a walker and/or anchor it into the ground like you would a cannon, but boy it's a nice light unit comeback against BD supertroopers.

Players insist on Monty Haul FGMPGawd play? Enemies upgrade.....

I believe the RP guns drop in kg and therefore size as they miniaturize even that far back in CT Striker.

Ah here we go, for TL15 RP-A, 17kg. Very much like a TL6 support MG.

The energy weapons were always light (the recoil, perhaps, not so much).

The slug throwers are still quite heavy.

The energy weapons were always light (the recoil, perhaps, not so much).

The slug throwers are still quite heavy.

Hmm, not the CT Striker progression of plasma/fusion main guns. The TL10 version of the Plasma A is 400kg, costs 32,000 and requires 8 MW of power. By the time you get to the TL15 version, its 14kg, costs 16,000 and requires 63.5 MW- exact same penetration and burst damage but has a +5 to hit.

So the cost in weight and expense goes into the battery/fusion power, but you get a ridiculously lethal probability to hit.

Could be a two man Combat Armor team, no power armor, one carries the weapon plus fire control and the other carries the power source. Cheap reply to the BD armed forces, who better be toting their own support weapons or have ortillery on tap.

Hmm, quick look says TL7 fire control should work for the RP-A range, 20kg/Cr5000. The question is does a high tech tripod work for this thing or does it require a full carriage/weapons mount?

I'll work it out later. Looks like it might be something a BD user can tote, or a low power grav carriage could be set up using a fusion plant to power both movement and the gun for the CA team.

Hmm, not the CT Striker progression of plasma/fusion main guns. The TL10 version of the Plasma A is 400kg, costs 32,000 and requires 8 MW of power. By the time you get to the TL15 version, its 14kg, costs 16,000 and requires 63.5 MW- exact same penetration and burst damage but has a +5 to hit.

Yea, i was talking about the P/FGMP Man Portable versions.

Back