• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MGT Only: MgT2e Darts using Effect

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
(page numbers are from the 2022 Update)

Captain Jamison walked into the Ship's Lounge and said, "Computer: pull up holo-game 'Darts: 301'. A hologram of a Dartboard appeared, with a small table and a cup filled with throwing darts.

"Whenever you are ready, Sir," the computer said.

The game of Darts is pretty simple. You aim a Dart and throw it as best you can towards the Bullseye or whichever part of the board you want to Hit. The Dartboard divided into 20 sections with each section also having a small areas for Doubles and Triples.

A lot of people in bars play a variation of Darts called 301. Each Player starts with 301 points and count down to Zero, subtracting your points each turn. After 3 Darts thrown, you switch Players, and repeat. The first Player who gets to Zero wins. I'm not sure how to simulate getting to Zero exactly, like they do in the real-life game.

But on a Significant Combat Action Ranged Attack of Average using Effect (Table on pg. 61), the game would work like this:

0+ - Normal Hit (roll a d20 and subtract it) - Marginal to Average Success
4 - Double (roll a d20, double it and subtract it) - Average Success
5 - Triple (roll a d20, x3 and subtract it) - Average Success
6+ - Bullseye (subtract 50) -Exceptional Success

Any Failure is just a Miss. If "real" Darts are used, there my be a possibility of Bystanders being hit by a Missed Dart.

There's no real Training for Darts, so I'm not using an Unskilled penalty. I might change that.

You only get to Aim for one round or the other Players should tell you to 'Hurry up!"

Modifiers to the Throw:
High DEX score (pg. 58 - if DEX is the only Modifier)
Athletics: Dexterity (pg. 65)
Carouse (pg. 66)
Tactics (pg. 72)
Aiming (pg. 74)

Captain Jamison throws his first holographic Dart.
He rolls 2D. No Modifiers.

5 + 1 = 6.

"Frak!" he yells. Then he Aims for a full round of 3 Minor Actions.
Jamison rolls again. 2D + 3 (Aiming).

1 + 5 + 3 = 9

"It's a Hit!" and Jamison keeps playing.

Try Darts out with your own characters. Keep a holographic copy on your ship for downtime.

No training for darts?
Lol
You must not have ever played.

First the aim point is deliberate.

You aim for the triple twenty, the bull's eye (rarely since it doesn't score as high as the triples) the doubles (easier to hit because they are larger), the outer bull (easier to hit because it is larger but again is rarely a target) and finally any segment - although again the larger segments are easier to hit (between the triple score and the double score) than the smaller segments (triple score to outer bull)

Playing down from 301 is the International standard game you go for triple twenty until you have to go for an odd number, you have to exactly reach exactly zero to win and you have to finish on a double or a bull.

So you don't base it on effect you base it on a penalty to your to hit roll and then scatter if you miss, but the scatter roll should take into account what you aimed to hit and your effect number - aiming for triple twenty you are likely to get twenty if you fail vertically, triple one or triple five if you fail horizontally, one or five if you fail at both.

You should probably also have to take into account the stress of a competative game and also the amount of alcohol consumed (the World Championship Darts athletes used to actually drink during matches).

Aiming for the double twenty is easy, I can hit it nineteen times out of twenty, the triple twenty I can usually hit about one in three, the bull one in five. And I have not practiced all that much but I did grow up playing the game because...

My mother played this game competitively all her life, even won a trophy or two.

Last edited:
No training for darts?
Lol
You must not have ever played.

First the aim point is deliberate.

You aim for the triple twenty, the bull's eye (rarely since it doesn't score as high as the triples) the doubles (easier to hit because they are larger), the outer bull (easier to hit because it is larger but again is rarely a target) and finally any segment - although again the larger segments are easier to hit (between the triple score and the double score) than the smaller segments (triple score to outer bull)

Playing down from 301 is the International standard game you go for triple twenty until you have to go for an odd number, you have to exactly reach exactly zero to win and you have to finish on a double or a bull.

So you don't base it on effect you base it on a penalty to your to hit roll and then scatter if you miss, but the scatter roll should take into account what you aimed to hit and your effect number - aiming for triple twenty you are likely to get twenty if you fail vertically, triple one or triple five if you fail horizontally, one or five if you fail at both.

You should probably also have to take into account the stress of a competative game and also the amount of alcohol consumed (the World Championship Darts athletes used to actually drink during matches).

Aiming for the double twenty is easy, I can hit it nineteen times out of twenty, the triple twenty I can usually hit about one in three, the bull one in five. And I have not practiced all that much but I did grow up playing the game because...

My mother played this game competitively all her life, even won a trophy or two.

That's great info - thanks!

But how do you translate that into a dice game that's easy and quick? Part of the fun in a real bar is that you get to throw something and not get in trouble. That doesn't really translate to game terms. Maybe we need to have an Enthusiasm attribute of some sort.

How about these for modifiers somewhat.

Positive
Enthusiasm
Consistency

Negative
Stress
Drunkeness

Last edited:
That's great info - thanks!

But how do you translate that into a dice game that's easy and quick? Part of the fun in a real bar is that you get to throw something and not get in trouble. That doesn't really translate to game terms. Maybe we need to have an Enthusiasm attribute of some sort.

How about these for modifiers somewhat.

Positive
Enthusiasm
Consistency

Negative
Stress
Drunkeness
Play an actual game of darts in real life, with character skill allowing the player to move their darts some distance toward their intended aim point after the throw, with the applicable DMs determining how far that distance is?

Might need to figure out each player's real-world handicap level beforehand though.

Last edited:
I was thinking of the Round the World game, which is kid's stuff really, but would require at a fairly low effect / difficulty:
  • Pick a number between 1 and 20
Double twenty, triple twenty and bull's eye to finish if I remember rightly.

Legend has it, it was this tv sketch that had a big part in having them no longer be allowed to drink during matches, at least televised ones. (The video title claims this was from the 90s, but if memory serves, this was actually from the 80s.)

It's either an Athletics - Dex roll, or even a Gambling + Dex roll. One roll for each participant determines the game, no need to roll through an entire game. Task chains might come into play in the case of some elaborate caper to rig the game and win big with cash on the line, or if they're drinking during play Carouse + End could be a task chain modifier to the Athletics or Gambling roll (yes, this might result in a plus rather than a minus 😎).

Variant: Belter's Darts, played in 0 G. Minimum rules are you must be floating free for every throw of your turn (which is three throws in a row). As commonly played, either your friends or opponents will give you a boost away from whatever strap or seat you have, to get you clear of the floor/walls, and you then need to make all three throws before you drift too close to the target, or into another surface. More serious games are sometimes resolved with each participant floating free for the entire match; careful positioning before play begins is assumed and required, to minimize momentum that would take a player out too early.

Now we're at Zero-G + Dex, or if you prefer Zero-G + Dex as a task chain leading in to Athletics or Gambling to resolve the match.

I would think that running through various "thrown weapons" rule sets is a best step on this.
While I've re-written from the Paranoia Press' thrown weapons rule down for my house rules, I still like looking over solutions.

And I love the idea of one of my PC's nailing someone with a real dart...

Or better yet:
Fred: "Why do you have that dowel in your hand?"
Joe: "I throw better when I have something real to give my fingers the feel."
Fred: "OK, you're turn. aim well.[chuckle]"
Joe: "Ooooo....Kayyyy" [throws]
Fred: "Were you supposed to let the dowel go too?" [Leaves as the angry command navigator leaves his table for some 'Lt. Cmndr to Spacer First Class' instruction]

Back