• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

military slang and sayings (Some may be mildly offensive)

Out of curiosity, where is the equivalent of Bum F.... Egypt in Traveller? (Sorry that's the term for it)

This is a mythical place in the military where you never want to go on liberty, leave, orders, or anything else. :eek:o:

A good place to start might be looking on TravellerMap for the worlds designated as "Hellworlds".
Or, any world with an A+ Law Level.

When I was in, the National Defense Ribbon was called 'the gedunk ribbon' because after 180 days of active duty, not including training, we were veterans and could wear it. You just went over, after beig told you were authorized, to the Base exchange and bought one to wear with the dress uniform.

Gedunk: unknown origin, although you will find plenty of claims. Basically snack truck.

US Navy and Marines have the Base Exchange or BEX same as the AAFES.

Commisary (grocery store) is where sailors and Marines buy food for their home life.

timerover51 said:
That is also the case in the US Army, for which I was guilty of when a detachment commander. I generally budgeted in 15 minute blocks though.

Xerxeskingofking, is "Boffin" still used in the UK?

Major B said:
I remember when I commanded an infantry company I made it a habit to come in early in the morning so I could have some quiet prep time to get ready for what was coming. I found that the more I came in early to avoid others, the earlier they came in. And the later I stayed, the later everyone else did. It was an important lesson to learn that I was being watched and emulated. I also learned that when I said "0630 formation" that the First Sergeant would tell everyone "0615 recall" and the platoon sergeants would tell their troops "0600" and the squad leaders "0545" and team leaders "0530" so I made it a practice to announce recall formation time in formation to avoid having everyone there an hour early.

see, the british tradition is "5 minutes before", and the knock-off briefs is generally held at a well known time, normally written down in part one orders, so we don't rock up more than 10 minutes before the brief, lest we be accused of skiving.

writing that sentence reminded me of about three new slang words to add to the list, so here we go.

Boffin: clever person, often a scientist or expert in their field. somewhat archaic now, not normally used as it implies a level of social ineptitude and is thus mildly insulting.

Part One Orders: formal, written orders, produced daily and displayed around the workplace and single soldiers accommodation. You cannot claim ignorance to something posted on part one orders, as every solider is expected to read part one orders every day. ("no one said it was ranges this morning!" "it was on part one orders, trooper. now get your act together, if your not on the bus with your gear in 5 minutes i will AGAI you!"). The flip side is that a soldier cannot be punished for following part one orders, even if the boss changed his mind about something afterwards (for example, changing PT to a tab). Mostly, they consist on mundane things like dental appointments, PT timings, and such.

Tab: Tactical Advance into Battle. A Loaded march, in boots and wearing webbing and daysacks with, generally, 10-20kgs of weight in them (20-40lbs, roughly. weight depends of branch of service, if your deploying soon, and weather or not the boss is in a good mood). Normal pace is about 12 minutes a mile, or about 5 MPH. The (Royal) Marines "Yomp" instead, but no one knows why, apart form their ongoing desire not be mistaken for the army.

AGAI: Army General Administrative Instruction. There are dozens of these, mostly on obscure topics of little interest to troops on the ground, but AGAI 67 covers the awards of minor sanctions to soldiers for minor offences, like being late for parade, turning up without required equipment, turning up slightly drunk, calling your boss a idiot, ect. Generally, it is not possible to levy a substantial monetary fine against soldiers for these minor offences, so the army takes away the thing that soldiers value the most: their free time. generally it will be "show parades" that require you to be at a certain location at a certain time, with certain equipment (for example, the guard room, at 8pm, in a properly turned out uniform), where you will be inspected, and if your found not to be up to standard (and you will be found not to standard), you will be required to "re-show" a hour or two later, having corrected the fault. by messing the offender around like this, they can take away his whole evening. More substantial crimes merit a works parade, which is normally 4 hours polishing the brass trophies, or painting kerbstones, or some other bone job that needs doing, normally done on the weekend, just to screw the offender over a bit more.

Skive: the active avoidance of work. considered a art form in some circles.

Knock on/knock off: start and end of the working day. normally involves a brief and a informal or formal parade, to pass messaged up .

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, where is the equivalent of Bum F.... Egypt in Traveller? (Sorry that's the term for it)

This is a mythical place in the military where you never want to go on liberty, leave, orders, or anything else. :eek:o:

I've heard Fort Irwin described this way: "Its not the a**hole of the world, but you can see it from there."

This is another reminder of the common experiences between the British and US Armies - our terms of reference seem very similar.

I remember when I commanded an infantry company I made it a habit to come in early in the morning so I could have some quiet prep time to get ready for what was coming. I found that the more I came in early to avoid others, the earlier they came in. And the later I stayed, the later everyone else did. It was an important lesson to learn that I was being watched and emulated. I also learned that when I said "0630 formation" that the First Sergeant would tell everyone "0615 recall" and the platoon sergeants would tell their troops "0600" and the squad leaders "0545" and team leaders "0530" so I made it a practice to announce recall formation time in formation to avoid having everyone there an hour early.

a captain i used to work for told me that at Sandhust (the officer training school, equivalent to West Point...but better, cos its British:D:D) they talk about "Tommie in his basher", as a reminder of this effect and what it means for both you, and what your plan actually means for the men executing it.

Tomas Atkins, or Tommy, as you may have heard before, was a name used on the example of how to fill out paperwork forms, and became a generic nickname for soldiers in general and the private soldiers in particular, who are still sometime referred to as the "infantry toms". equivalent US expression would be the doughboys, or GI's.

Basher is the name for the waterproof sheet you put up over your sleeping bag, and by extension your sleeping area, where you admin yourself and hide form the weather when on exercise.

talking about the "tom in his basher", then is about reminding a platoon commander that when he says "we attack at 0730hrs", he need to work back form that time to see what time he is actually getting the poor toms in his command out of bed. for a 0730 attack, to do all the required preparations for that, your looking at waking the guys up at least 2 or 3 hours before that time, and so your 0730 attack means getting the men up at 0430, maybe after then only got to bed at 11pm.

APC: Ostensibly an armored personnel carrier but when I was a platoon leader in Mech infantry with M113s we thought it meant "Aluminum Personnel Coffin."

*MILES (multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System) is a laser used to simulate gunfire and score kills on enemies wearing the right receive unit

We have something functionally similar to MILES, which we call TES (Tactical Environment Simulator. Same equipment, different name.

for APC, allow me to introduce LPC, Leather Personnel Carriers. Or, to give them there more common name, Boots. Often used in jest when asked what transport has been provided.

Stickys: Sweets, generally the non-chocolate type that keep well and can take being squashed. Haribo is a favourite, often nickedname "morale-ibo" for the way it lifts peoples mood when shared about.

Seven Clicks: reputedly, the number of mouse clicks it takes for a soldier to enter his notice to leave the army, and thus used as a synonym for signing off.

Chuff Chart: a countdown to the end of tour, sometimes a written tally on the wall, in main base it takes the form of a spreadsheet, with pie chart, and a line by line breakdown of just how much money you've earnt in op bonus.

Out of curiosity, where is the equivalent of Bum F.... Egypt in Traveller? (Sorry that's the term for it). This is a mythical place in the military where you never want to go on liberty, leave, orders, or anything else.
Any posting that is so remote that no one knows where it is, that is so mind-numbingly routine that you actually look forward to combat action, and that is so inhospitable that even the cockroaches have all deserted. Usually abbreviated “BFE”, it’s a fictional place, often mistaken for Adak (Alaska), Diego Garcia (B.I.O.T.), or the Siberian tundra.

I.M.T.U., “Bumfoot” (BMFT227) was a five-man listening post in the Nether Hills of Egypt (SM1737 BAC6567-9), where research was also being carried out on colored-coded polymer coatings for hazardous environments. Literally, the people posted there spent most of their waking hours either watching paint dry or listening to radio static.

Other Slang:

Boot-Top Tall: Too close to transfer or date-of-discharge to be of any use. Synonymous with being “Short”. “You can’t tell Smith to do anything. He’s so short that he’s about boot-top tall!” (See “Short-Timer”)

DBR: Destroy Before Reading. Any news from other than official sources. This includes letters from home, foreign news services, and what you may have overheard while painting the officers’ mess.

Long, Quiet Ride Home: The final trip that casualties of war take from the battlefield to their hometown. There are no movies, no meals, and no drinks offered to these honored service members, yet none have ever complained.

Military Promise: A promise that has so many escape clauses that it really isn’t much of a promise at all.

Short-Timer: Any service member within six weeks of being transferred or discharged.

Last edited:
In the USMC describing oneself as "short" normally began ~6 months before EOS (end of enlistment").

The slacking-off of work usually developed gradually, though - so most never got "short-timer's disease" until the last 2-3 months or so.

ROAD - a related term, Retired on Active Duty. Those senior officers or enlisted who have delegated all (or nearly all) of their duties to their subordinates, and who do virtually nothing military-related during work hours. Usually nearing their formal retirement.

for APC, allow me to introduce LPC, Leather Personnel Carriers. Or, to give them there more common name, Boots. Often used in jest when asked what transport has been provided.

I've used LPC before - the term and the items. When I was in the light infantry two phrases were common: "There's nothing light about being light" and "Too light to fight, too heavy to run."

How about the UH 2-1/2. When the rotary wing lift fails to show but you're lucky enough to see trucks arrive instead then you just got extracted by UH Deuce and a half.

I know that SNAFU was originally a military saying that became common in civilian use. But I am shocked that no one has brought up FUBAR yet. "FU" means what you think and "BAR" means "Beyond All Recognition" for the maybe one person out there who hasn't heard that one yet.

At Ft. Benning I also learned BOHICA: "Bend Over Here It Comes Again"

And we all know someone who has his head up his ass but I am constantly amazed at the various phrases I've heard used to describe just how far someone has inserted it.

And of course, REMF. Rear Eschelon Mother *******.

Bathroom leave, sometimes Bathroom liberty: I've heard used by guys in the 172'd... That period of time after training at Camp Frostbite or one of the other remote Alaskan training sites where you're on commander's time leave, but can't do anything because you can't get more than 10 steps from the can thanks to the creeping crud.

Creeping Crud: some local virus that the locals don't ever show, but every white or black guy in the unit comes down with after training in the area. Usually not dangerous, save for the dehydration. Usually. Also, this usually isn't giardia. They come home, and the wives and kids also get it.
(As a teacher in a school with 25% military dependents, could always tell when the 172 Inf Bde had just come back from the field: week 1, the military kids are out. Week 2, all their friends are out. Week 3, teachers and the rest of the scool are all fighting it. Week 4, everyone's now over it.)

3rd Lieutenant: dismissive nickname for USMA, USAFA, USNA, VMI, NMMI, and Sr. ROTC cadets assigned to units as acting officers. At certain points in time, used as a derogatory for US Army Air Corps Flight Officers and USMC "Gunners" (Infantry Weapons Officers), especially by unsympathetic Generals who felt that there was no need for Warrant Officers in the combat arms (including the fighter wings). In the case of the Gunner, the insignia wasn't close, but the AAC's Flight Officer was a round ended blue bar... worn in exactly the same way as a 2nd lieutenant's square ended bar. I know it was in use at Ft. Dix in 1987... My company's XO went on a rather harsh rant about "God-Damned 3rd F___ing lieutenants" in reference to the 3 USMA cadets assigned to the company.

In the USMC describing oneself as "short" normally began ~6 months before EOS (end of enlistment").

The slacking-off of work usually developed gradually, though - so most never got "short-timer's disease" until the last 2-3 months or so.

ROAD - a related term, Retired on Active Duty. Those senior officers or enlisted who have delegated all (or nearly all) of their duties to their subordinates, and who do virtually nothing military-related during work hours. Usually nearing their formal retirement.

equivalent UK expression for short timers is "signed off, switched off"

For ROAD, we'd mostly likely use "Marking Time", taken form the drill movement of marching on the spot (seen here at about 1:50) to keep the step. Used to refer to someone whose career has stalled, and they are coasting along until retirement.

equivalent UK expression for short timers is "signed off, switched off"

For ROAD, we'd mostly likely use "Marking Time", taken form the drill movement of marching on the spot (seen here at about 1:50) to keep the step. Used to refer to someone whose career has stalled, and they are coasting along until retirement.

Marking Time is used in the US for both meanings, as well. It goes back to the late 17th C. I would expect it to be the same throughout the commonwealth, as well.

Greatcoats on - greatcoats off: used for those times when you're rushed madly getting ready to move or do something, then just before commencing you're told to stop and wait. Then wait some more.

Some from my various traveller and other sci-fi verses:

Tinfoil hats: Psi shield helmets.

Charlie, Mike and Zulu: Slang terms for a common models of grav tank, grav apc and gunship. These were somewhat obsolescent and all light and small enough to land in a standard cutter module if configured with their lightest armour fit-out. This made them popular on the grey market.

Cratered: Typical state of a spacegoing vessel after executing an unscheduled lithobraking manoeuvre.

Specimen: Any large and/or dangerous alien creature.

Navy W*nker: Derogatory term for naval personnel, referring to the stereotype of a stuck-up naval officer from higher social classes.

military saying

I had a ex-military employee who could scrounge up nearly anything; typically man-portable items...but he did come through with vehicles on rare occasions.

I swear he lived by this motto: "Gear adrift, must be a gift."

Real handy kind of guy to have around...

Last edited:
I had a ex-military employee who could scrounge up nearly anything; typically man-portable items...but he did come through with vehicles on rare occasions.

In terms of naval slang you might say it's cumshaw the sand crabs left. Sand crab being a term for civilians who don't go to sea (aka landlubbers).

I like that one for persons who never go into space for Traveller. :rolleyes:

one mans Diffie (deficient) is another mans buck-shee (free item)

Back