• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

military slang and sayings (Some may be mildly offensive)

SOS - slang for chipped beef on toast served in the Army mess. My grandfather said it was the only thing the mess made right.

My memory is a little fuzzy, though, it stood for Something On a Shingle, can't quite remember what the first word was.

When I went to Norwich (the military college in Vermont) back in the late 70's, called it Afterbirth on a Raft.

Here's another couple that need some explaining.

When a paratrooper hits the ground he is supposed to execute a Parachute Landing Fall (PLF). The acronym can find its way into unrelated conversation, such as:

Trooper 1: "Johnny fell off a ladder and broke his arm."
Trooper 2: "Guess he didn't do a good PLF."

The whole first week of Airborne School is focused on pushups, flutter kicks, and learning how to do a good PLF. To do it right, you have to hit all five points of contact in order: 1) Balls of the feet, 2) Calf, 3) Thigh, 4) Buttocks, and 5) The Pullup Muscle*. Theoretically, if you make all five points hit the ground in order then you'll be fine. It's important to start the process with your feet and knees touching but that's another subject in itself.

* Really refers to the mass of muscles around and below the shoulder blade. Sometimes called the Pushup muscle too.

Other than the refresher training conducted before every jump, the points of contact don't come up much except that "4th Point of Contact" finds wide use such as:

"You'd better pull your head out of your 4th Point of Contact."

or

"If you're not done by 1300, you'll find my size 9 boot inside your 4th Point of Contact."

French army slang for canned meat is "singe" (monkey)
The food in general "Rata" (short for Ratatouille, which is a stew of whatever is available).
Second helping "Rab" (short for rabbiot and I do not know why it was called rabbiot in the first place)
Coffee: "le jus de chausette" (socks' juice)

have fun
Selandia

Here is the ultimate slang word for the US Army. Note that it has been appropriated by the USMC though they mispronounce it as Oo-rah for reasons unknown. Also note that the word also figured prominently in the script for the movie "Scent of a Woman" though Al Pacino also mispronounced it by placing the emphasis on the second syllable rather than the first.

Hooah (Who-a) adj. Referring to or meaning anything and everything except no. 1. What to say when at a loss for words. 2. Good copy, solid copy, roger, good, great, message received, understood. 3. Glad to meet you, welcome. 4. I don't know the answer but I'll check on it, I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. 5. I'm not listening. 6. That's enough BS - sit down. 7. Stop sniveling. 8. You have to be kidding. 9. Yes. 10. Thank you. 11. Go to the next slide. 12. You've taken the correct action. 13. I don't know what that means but I'm too embarrassed to ask for clarification. 14. Amen.

Here is the ultimate slang word for the US Army. Note that it has been appropriated by the USMC though they mispronounce it as Oo-rah for reasons unknown. Also note that the word also figured prominently in the script for the movie "Scent of a Woman" though Al Pacino also mispronounced it by placing the emphasis on the second syllable rather than the first.

Hooah (Who-a) adj. Referring to or meaning anything and everything except no. 1. What to say when at a loss for words. 2. Good copy, solid copy, roger, good, great, message received, understood. 3. Glad to meet you, welcome. 4. I don't know the answer but I'll check on it, I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. 5. I'm not listening. 6. That's enough BS - sit down. 7. Stop sniveling. 8. You have to be kidding. 9. Yes. 10. Thank you. 11. Go to the next slide. 12. You've taken the correct action. 13. I don't know what that means but I'm too embarrassed to ask for clarification. 14. Amen.

Interesting to note that it wasn't used at all in C-3-39 INF when I went through BT in 1987. I started hearing it in the early 90's from GI's... the USMC's OO-RAH is documented back to the 1940's (G. Boyington)...

The Rangers used this a lot in the "Blackhawk Down" movie. It never occurred to me that it was at related to "oo-rah".

L86 Light Support Weapon (LSW): the standard british assault rifle, with a longer, heavier barrel and built in bipod. called the Long Silly Weapon, as its not really a proper LMG, but closer to was the USMC IAR is now, a assault rifle optimised for full auto fire.

PMSL :D Never heard that one, and I was an LSW gunner for a year or so, before I managed to pass on that... ahem... privilege ;)

Interesting to note that it wasn't used at all in C-3-39 INF when I went through BT in 1987. I started hearing it in the early 90's from GI's... the USMC's OO-RAH is documented back to the 1940's (G. Boyington)...

Like many things, the origin has an uncertain pedigree - in use by ~1949, but no exact origin date:

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...e-sergeant-major-behind-the-oorah-battle-cry/
The Marine sergeant major behind the 'oorah' battle cry
By: Gidget Fuentes   November 10, 2015

The oldest living sergeant major of the Marine Corps is a legend of sorts.

Retired Sgt. Maj. John Massaro left his hometown of Cleveland during the 1940s to enlist in the Marines. His career would span three decades, taking him to combat zones in Korea and Vietnam, and finally into the role of the Marine Corps' top enlisted leader before his retirement in 1979.

That highly abbreviated biography of the eighth sergeant major of the Marine Corps would get the attention of any Marine. But official service anecdotes credit him with popularizing "oorah" in the Marine lexicon — and that alone has cemented him into leatherneck lore.

While there are several theories about the origins of the saying, some Marine Corps historical references suggest that Massaro carried the popular phrase into his drill field tours after it was used during his days with 1st Marine Division Reconnaissance Company in the mid-1950s. Massaro, then a company gunnery sergeant, and the men who boarded the submarine Perch for recon and raid training in the decade after World War II got in the habit of saying "oorah" while imitating the sub's klaxon horn that sounds off as "arrugah."

"It became some kind of greeting, when you saw one of your shipmates or one of your Marines, instead of saying, 'How are you?'" Massaro said. "It kind of got passed around. It was used as a chant, when people were running."

Other references cite his follow-on tour at San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot – his second of three tours there – with using the phrase with recruits.

"Oorah" has become a battle cry for the generations since, a phrase symbolic of the Marine Corps as much as "leatherneck" and "devil dogs." Some historic references cite Massaro's tour at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego as the place "oorah" really caught hold when he began using the phrase with new recruits.

Massaro, for one, is baffled why he's credited with the word. "I don't take credit for it," he said, chuckling. "It was a phrase or a term originally coming from boarding a ship."

The roots of "oorah" stretch beyond reconnaissance. It was likely coined by the infantry several years earlier. Massaro, speaking by phone from Utah, said he and other riflemen with Baker Company, 1st Battalion, 6th Marines, first went aboard the Perch in 1949 for troop transport training, "so it really wasn't something that was original to recon."

Since Marines were deploying aboard subs starting in 1942 {Makin Island raid 17-18 August 1942, by Carlson's Raiders aboard USS Nautilus (V-6/SF-9/SS-168) and USS Argonaut (V-4/SF-7/SM-1/SS-166)}, the "submarine Klaxon imitation" origin may well reach that far back.

This makes sense to me, as in 1981-89 we always pronounced it "Ah-OO-rah", not just "OO-rah".

{edit:
In counterpoint to major B's US Army list, here is a USMC list: http://www.oo-rah.com/store/editorial/edi55.asp
1. I am a Marine.
2. I enthusiastically accept your message.
3. I am excited to be here.
4. Pleased to make your acquaintance.
5. What you ask of me, not only will I do, I will do in a manner befitting a Marine.
6. I expect good things out of you.
7. Good job.
8. I am not supposed to be motivated about performing this task, but I will force myself to express excitement for the benefit of my fellow Marines and to tactfully annoy my superiors who gave me the task.
9. I love being a Marine.
10. I am about to destroy something.
}

Last edited:
Cofftea: hard to identify hot brown drink served in bulk by the army on ranges and similar field exercises. Kept in jerry can sized insulated containers. Nominally, you get one of tea and one of coffee. but since the containers often only get a quick wipe down before being used again. net result is that you have a choice coffee flavoured tea and tea flavoured coffee.

jerry can: 20 litre (5.3 US gallons) fuel can with handle. the original jerry cans stolen form the Akriakorps in north Africa, hence the name ("jerry" being a ww2 nickname for the Germans, much like "kraut" or "huns").

There used to be these dime coffee machines that had, basically, coffee, cocoa, and, of all things, chicken soup.

There was a little knob you turned to your flavor, dropped in your dime, and pressed the GO button.

If you moved the knob back and forth between coffee and cocoa, you got that "not quite Starbuck" mocha drink.

Can't say it worked too well when you incorporated the chicken soup.

There used to be these dime coffee machines that had, basically, coffee, cocoa, and, of all things, chicken soup.

There was a little knob you turned to your flavor, dropped in your dime, and pressed the GO button.

If you moved the knob back and forth between coffee and cocoa, you got that "not quite Starbuck" mocha drink.

Can't say it worked too well when you incorporated the chicken soup.

The more expensive versions kept the soup and tea as separate nozzles; cheaper ones didn't. I encountered such machines at UAA and ACC when I was a kid (mom was taking classes, and I met her after class, as my school was just next door).

You sure it wasn't to reduce the poor taste of the cocoa mix...? :eek:o: :coffeesip: :rolleyes:

After my first at sea journey, I decided that Navy coffee wasn't keeping me awake.

So I bought instant expresso. I misread the instructions and added a tablespoon of it to a cup of hot water instead of a teaspoon. I couldn't close my eyes for 3 days.

Our first trip, there was US Navy Fuel Oil #2 in our drinking water. Not enough to kill us they said, but it did make all of us sick.

Egyptian PT: telling people that your off to do some physical training (PT), but instead going to your room to hide and lying down for an hour. unsure of the etymology of this one, but its probably either a slur against Egyptians for (seemingly) spending their time sitting around all day rather than working (quite a sensible approach to Egyptian summer temperatures, frankly) or a slur against the British army troops in Egypt not doing enough PT (due to the aforementioned high temperatures)

Egyptian PT: telling people that your off to do some physical training (PT), but instead going to your room to hide and lying down for an hour. unsure of the etymology of this one, but its probably either a slur against Egyptians for (seemingly) spending their time sitting around all day rather than working (quite a sensible approach to Egyptian summer temperatures, frankly) or a slur against the British army troops in Egypt not doing enough PT (due to the aforementioned high temperatures)

eard it once from a guy that did peacekeeping in Sinai. Refers to postponing PT to very late afternoon or even after sun down. Make even more sense during Ramadan (no water from sun up to sun down)

Selandia

Back