• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

mini hydroponics

coliver988

SOC-14 1K
Baron
Probably adjacent to commons - the mini farm

and this is TL8 and already available apparently. Allows for fresh food. I can see a bank of these to rotate through when things ripen and are ready for eating.

Probably adjacent to commons - the mini farm

and this is TL8 and already available apparently. Allows for fresh food. I can see a bank of these to rotate through when things ripen and are ready for eating.

How much space (tonnage) would have to be given over to provide food for a single individual ? (Or would this be merely a green supplement to other rations - like having a small salad course before the entree ?)

A few thoughts.

The Expanse has plants throughout stations and ships, a rather important plot point in the case of Ganymede. Food supplements that perform the same function and alter diet seem reasonable.

Whatever growing enviornment installed needs to be vacc-sealable given the frequency with which Travellers have to go to vacuum for combat.

Genetic engineering of course should be considered to have advanced, with several important features for 'ship plants'.

Ships would want plants that grow fast, process atmosphere to absorb carbon and give off oxygen, and provide food supplements (can't see primary food source but definitely fresh fruit/vegetables/nuts and spices).

This all says accelerated 'plant metabolism', possibly growing in days with rapid processing of atmosphere and lifespans in weeks/months (coded that way if for no other reason then brakes on kudzu-like results and contamination of planetary environments).

Other desirable functions might be processing life support wastes to generate fertilizer to especially feed these fast metabolism plants, and flippant features like aesthetics and glowing for light. Not something to rely on again on ships that can lose atmo, but might be a more regular 'comfort' appliance brought on board to lend a homey air to quarters.

I have hyperalgae as a central component of life support for the fertilizer/carbon conversion process. It's treated as a hazmat material and is regularly killed off and cleaned out to avoid unwanted mutations/contamination.

How much space (tonnage) would have to be given over to provide food for a single individual ? (Or would this be merely a green supplement to other rations - like having a small salad course before the entree ?)

I'd say half a cubic meter per stateroom, split between an Expanse-like room plant wall with some of the features I mention and a centralized commons 'greenhouse'.

Last edited:
T4 Extended LS including grown food
VolDescriptionTdMin People
100m³algal vats7.14 Td25
200m³vats and gardens14.29 Td30
500m³gardens and small animals35.72 Td40
1500m³gardens and large animals107.1475
[tc=4]Regenerative LS (T4) Per person, indefinite duration[/tc]

DescriptionLitersCr
MRE quality37220.5
Normal58287.5
Good68.5409.5
Excellent68.5682.5
[tc=4]T4 Stowed food
per week per person[/tc]

Growing animals for meat is pretty inefficient use of space onboard starships right?

Makes me wonder if, with spaces like this, whether spacer diets might be more vegetarian compared to planetary populations.

wearable-farm.jpg

Growing animals for meat is pretty inefficient use of space onboard starships right?

Makes me wonder if, with spaces like this, whether spacer diets might be more vegetarian compared to planetary populations.

No, because space ships have freezers.

And if that doesn't suit, then you can have grown efficiently in vats. Imagine that home greenhouse device spitting out chuck roasts made of b33f instead of heads of lettuce.

Hmm, probably some force cloning in there, medicine would likely have advanced to personal DNA forced organ growth, maybe the Doc runs a sideline in steak manufacturing out of sick bay?

Plus of course most ships are pulling into starports every week, likely some meat brought aboard as supplies. If I spent an extra Cr2000 for a High Passage I'd expect plenty being available.

So probably more a function of the TL and 'Aggieness'/Non-Ag of the supplier planet then anything else as to how much diet goes vegetarian due to space habitat growing.

No, because space ships have freezers.

And if that doesn't suit, then you can have grown efficiently in vats. Imagine that home greenhouse device spitting out chuck roasts made of b33f instead of heads of lettuce.
About that, apparently there are some issues with cultured meat.

About that, apparently there are some issues with cultured meat.

No doubt. It probably tastes like lizard, and getting the nice marbling of pampered Kobe ribeye is probably not quite there yet.

But, yea, as others have mentioned, we'll have to see what a few more generations of knowledge and tech have to do with it.

Until then, however, we have freezers. Family have been packing sides of beef wrapped in white paper in to 4'x8'x4' frozen boxes for decades, and most traveller ships aren't more than a week away from civilization as it is.

For those that aren't, bring a bigger freezer.

ongoing attempts to culture animal cells

I'm imagening "ice-cube" trays that grow cubes of meat. twist the trays to dump the cubes on your plate, then reseed the trays with cultures and put them in the development habitat ....

the tray forms could have funny shapes like mice and rabbits and gold fish ....

I'm imagening "ice-cube" trays that grow cubes of meat. twist the trays to dump the cubes on your plate, then reseed the trays with cultures and put them in the development habitat ....

I am SO stealing that!

as kilemall - I too am so stealing that!

No doubt. It probably tastes like lizard, and getting the nice marbling of pampered Kobe ribeye is probably not quite there yet.

But, yea, as others have mentioned, we'll have to see what a few more generations of knowledge and tech have to do with it.

Until then, however, we have freezers. Family have been packing sides of beef wrapped in white paper in to 4'x8'x4' frozen boxes for decades, and most traveller ships aren't more than a week away from civilization as it is.

For those that aren't, bring a bigger freezer.

The freezer in the lab ship is apparently big enough for body storage (Death Station double adventure)

Back