• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mongoose Ship Share Rule and Players

Has anyone encountered this player advantage yet?

The average party, with careful career choices, should have between 8 and 18 ship shares starting out. With the correction that each ship share is 1% vice 10%, that means an average party has 12% equity in a sub 1K ship. The chart in the the base book goes up to a 800 ton mercenary cruiser at total value MCr 433.

That ship is not really good on the free market, so instead the PCs use the shares towards a Type M, total value MCr 274.

They may or may not roll on the page 136 chart. That chart gives two possible bad events out of 11. One of the bad things requires a +1 broker to even back up, with a 2.8% chance of rolling it on the page 136 chart, the other bad thing has a chance of 13.9% but also can be fixed for less than 1 million credits unless the ref is really nasty. Each roll gives 1D6 extra ship shares at the cost of a 10 years older vessel. Two rolls keeps the exposure of bad things under 25% and awards an average of 6 shares, but at a high cost off of full ship value. I would skip the extra rolls.

The characters scrimp and hustle and get cargos and pax enough to fly to a major world high tech rich port. They hire a broker. In modern America a commerical broker usually takes 6% of the sale price from the seller. In MgT that gives a +3 freight broker. In modern America a broker for special goods, vehicles, or machines can go as high as 10%, which is a +5 for MgT freight.

Assuming the same translates over to MgT, the players offer 10% to a broker. Partial support: The highest priced cargo is radioactives at credit 1MCr per ton, average 3 max of 6 tons--at this price the full freight broker DM applies.

Assume then that the table for broker DMs is precentage minus 2 for a whole ship. The players go 15%, getting a +4 DM. With careful sale site selection, assume a high enough sale DM, plus the broker, to get FMV+ on average.

Ship is sold, MCr274, leaving MCr32.88, minus 5 to the broker means MCr27.88. (Assuming new ship FMV, as a result of rolling over the 100% on the chart)

The same broker, who now gets his/her cut from the seller, gets them a free trader. Assume at standard price of MCr36.5 even thought it should be slightly less. Purchase a turret and beam laser, plus inital supplies, MCr 36.5 minus MC26 = MCr10.5. Monthly payment is now 44,000 credits. Assuming a standard two jumps per month, and 70% full bay and 50% passengers, the ship easily pays full costs, salary, and makes double or triple payments each month.

The ship is paid off in 10 years free and clear with easy adventures along the way, with lots of credits stored in letters of credit for the drive breaking down.

Why are my guys the first ones to think of this? Why didn't Mongoose come up with this in play testing?

Are my guys the first, or did someone else's team invent this method?

Why are my guys the first ones to think of this? Why didn't Mongoose come up with this in play testing?

Are my guys the first, or did someone else's team invent this method?

Your players aren't the 1st ones, by a long way. It is up to the GM to control the character creation process (in any RPG) AND to determine what is available. IF there is such easy pickings for spec trade between a few planets, market forces will cause more traders to flock to the area thus, lowering the available trade goods.

I agree. The trip from (some Imperial discharge world) to (Mora or Glisten or ) is where the GM uses the broken (main fuel pump) to make the characters scramble and smuggle a cargo or commit a crime or Chamax Plague or...

Once they arrive and do the slick transaction, that is when they get to play Twilight's Peak or Secret of the Ancients or something because they have the time and freedom.

I've used The charts for my latest campaign.(1st using MgT.) They all gotten shares in a ship & they chose (what they thought. :rofl: ) was the best of 5 ships.The ship has several hidden smuggling holds & Psionic Echoes.(poor Psion gets all kind of terrorfing psionic images)It been a fun game,since everyone owns the ship & not just one person.

IMO a ship is a plot device. The referee decides if he wants the PCs to have a ship, what kind of ship he wants them to have, and what economic conditions apply. If he doesn't want to referee a game where the PCs own a mercenary cruiser or a yacht or a laboratory ship or a free trader, then the PCs don't have one. OTOH, if the referee wants to run a campaign where they have one of those ships, then they have that particular ship.

I'm not sure what I would do with whatever ship shares the PCs wound up with, either ignore them completely or translate them into some form of bennies.

Hans

Back