• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mongoose Traveller 2nd Edition Beta Arrives Friday

There are 216 possible combinations on 3D6 ...
So "div" is the number of chances to roll exactly that number divided by 216.
"Cum" is the chance of rolling that number or higher (success) divided by 216.

Thank you! (partially thrown by the extraneous "l" in "cu[l]m")

Precision. Anydice lacks it in the output. Especially on d6's... something about decimal output, binary calculations, multiples of 3...

Plus, showing the work shows others how to do the calculation longhand, and proves the concept far better than a blackbox graph link.

This likely deserves it's own discussion but this is the first time I have seen mention of issues with Anydice's precision. Do we need more than 2 decimal places for this math?

As for the second part the last time I took a stats class was early college (so like 8+ years ago) so the process of calculating something is meaningless (to me). I'd prefer something I can just plug a question into and get a simple and clear answer, which is exactly what Anydice provides. I guess that alone could be a statement as to how reliant we are on technology and blackbox technology, but I digress.

So, back on topic. I like the idea of the Boon/Bane dice. It seems like it is a quick short cut for the GM without having to look up a table of 20 modifiers for a situation.

I recently ran a D&D 5e campaign that had several hard core GURPS players, the kind that really exercises the options in the rule books. While they liked how it worked, they felt it would not work for their GURPS games because they liked the fine grain modifiers for the things they did and the circumstance they found themselves in.

That is by far the most polite way of referring to a bunch of min-maxers I have ever heard.

So I am confused: what if any of the existing products for Mongoose Traveller are for use with this new version? For example is Merc V2 fully compatible or not? Are all the books getting rewritten?

So I am confused: what if any of the existing products for Mongoose Traveller are for use with this new version? For example is Merc V2 fully compatible or not? Are all the books getting rewritten?

They have committed to publishing the following books for the 2nd Edition:

- Core Rulebook
- High Guard
- Central Supply Catalog
- Traveller Companion

As of right now ALL ship design and construction will be in HG. There is nothing about ship design in the core book. The Traveller Companion sounds like it will be akin to the DMG for D&D. It will have alternative rules, additional details, etc. What exactly will be in there we have to wait to find out. They have stated that the playtesters will see the Word document versions of the other books (so I assume it will be all the text, but minimal formatting and no art) as the play test goes on.

As for the old books, I have no idea what will happen, but here are my thoughts so far:

Career Books:Converting characters that are created with the career books shouldn't be too difficult except that many of the skills introduced in them are not in MgT2. The combat rules in Mercenary and ship design in HG are going to be useless. Ships in the books will need to be converted, but I don't know how hard that will be yet.

Adventures: Should be fairly easy to convert. Easier than converting CT to MgT1 for sure.

Supplements:These will be hit and miss. Some will be useful and somewhat easy to convert (760 Patrons, 1001 Characters) and some will be useless (Traders & Gunboats, Fighting Ships, etc).

The Third Imperium: These books (all the sector and system info) will be the most compatible (except where ships are detailed) since the system info hasn't changed much.

Alien Modules: My guess here is that any planetary info will be good. Characters, I have no clue as I haven't looked at what little they included in the new core for aliens yet. Ships.. see above.

That's my 2 cents on the existing books so far. I am confident that if Mongoose doesn't release method of converting existing ships that the community will create one as soon as we get our hands on the new High Guard rules.

Last edited:

It is, intentionally, not compatible with prior. Matthew's intent is to rewrite the line, starting with HG2E and CSC.

They have committed to publishing the following books for the 2nd Edition:

- Core Rulebook
- High Guard
- Central Supply Catalog
- Traveller Companion

As of right now ALL ship design and construction will be in HG. There is nothing about ship design in the core book. The Traveller Companion sounds like it will be akin to the DMG for D&D. It will have alternative rules, additional details, etc. What exactly will be in there we have to wait to find out. They have stated that the playtesters will see the Word document versions of the other books (so I assume it will be all the text, but minimal formatting and no art) as the play test goes on.
Matthew hasn't sent the draft for the companion yet. I've seen drafts for HG and CSC.

It is, intentionally, not compatible with prior. Matthew's intent is to rewrite the line, starting with HG2E and CSC.

That's what I assumed, but I hadn't seen anything official about it beyond him saying that after the first four, others will be released every 3-4 months. But he didn't specify what those others would be.

Matthew hasn't sent the draft for the companion yet. I've seen drafts for HG and CSC.

That's good. Hopefully that means those of us who purchased the play test will be seeing them soon. I get the impression that a lot of people are anxiously awaiting HG2E to see the ship design rules.

I am assuming that the answer to this question is a solid "NO", but I have to ask. Is there anything that you are allowed to say about those books at this point?

So, truly, this is Yet Another Traveller?

CT, MT, TNE, T4, T20, T5, THero, GT, MgT, MgT2.0? Did I miss any? Does 1248 count?

So, we now have 10 (TEN) versions of this game? All starting with the sad tale of the Free Trader Beowulf?

Did he say this or is this your belief?

Just curious either way.

He's explicitly said that the first three books will be Core, HG, and CSC, one per month. He's explicitly said others will follow. He's explicitly said he's making changes in every chapter.

That it's intentionally incompatible, but readily convertible is my personal opinion based upon multiple interactions, and is merely strongly inferred by Matthew. It's comparable to the CT 2E to MT jump.

The skill list is shorter.
Letter drives are gone; PP and MDrives don't match in formula to them.
PPFuel radically changed.

(That there is a PP Fuel calculation at all you can blame me for.)
I built a ship, using the 150 Person-days of LS recharge per ton, that was capable of, at TL 9, making Alpha-C via STL in 10 years.
I sent it to Matthew.
Fuel was added in the draft after.

MD requiring power separate from LS you can also blame me for. Same example had only PP of about 1... but several G's.
I can still build the SL Sol-AC clipper... but now it needs to be a sleeper ship for need of fuel.

He's explicitly said that the first three books will be Core, HG, and CSC, one per month. He's explicitly said others will follow. He's explicitly said he's making changes in every chapter.

That it's intentionally incompatible, but readily convertible is my personal opinion based upon multiple interactions, and is merely strongly inferred by Matthew. It's comparable to the CT 2E to MT jump.

The skill list is shorter.
Letter drives are gone; PP and MDrives don't match in formula to them.
PPFuel radically changed.
Ah ok, thanks.

Launching the Beta Test in Northern California

I'm a bit excited about the new Mongoose Traveller. So far it's looking pretty fun. Fun enough that I'm running a playtest at my FLGS. If you Travel (see what I did there?) or live near Sacramento, California. Send me a PM and I'd love to have you at my table!

I'm a bit excited about the new Mongoose Traveller. So far it's looking pretty fun. Fun enough that I'm running a playtest at my FLGS. If you Travel (see what I did there?) or live near Sacramento, California. Send me a PM and I'd love to have you at my table!

How did it go?

I've looked at bans and boons a bit.
I see boon/bane as an ambiguous "maybe" while affecting the difficulty is a clear cut alteration of the situation.

th boon/bane comes down to It might help vs it will help....

If a ref caches himself thinking, or saying, I don't know it might help a little...give a boon. The same if he says.that might cause you some problems.

Then there remains a bit of uncertainty as to whether or not the situation/idea will impact the outcome.

Now if the REf goes..well that will definitely make things easier/harder then adjust the difficulty to reflect the fact that the idea/situation will most assuredly have an effect on the outcome by making it harder or easier.

for example tossing a handful of dust in the other guys face...there is no real way to know if it will work before hand... award a bane to the targets next attack...it's a matter of probability if it works or doesn't work.

If you spray him in the face with military grade tear gas...odds are more than certain that even if he isn't incapacitated, he will have a more difficult time hitting for a few seconds. So the ref adjusts his difficulty levels to reflect this.

this bit of mental processing resolves the issue for me. But I don't expect it to work for everyone.

Thank you, it helps me

Many thanks

David

Files were just updated today. Looks like we got some of the High Guard stuff. Haven't looked it over yet but thought anyone following that doesn't check for updates often would like to know.

Back