• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mustering-out Guns

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
What are the most common weapons your characters get on mustering out?

Ours tend to be garden-variety, although we've dressed them up with brand names and, occasionally, quirks. But otherwise the list is similar to:

ACR
Accelerator Pistol
Accelerator Rifle
Assault Rifle
Autopistol
Body Pistol
Carbine
Gauss Gun
Gauss Pistol
Laser Carbine
Laser Pistol
Laser Rifle
Revolver
Rifle
SMG
Shotgun of course
Snub Pistol

And for blades I have:

Cutlass, Imperial Marine
Dagger, Imperial Navy
Knife
Machete
Monodagger
Short Sword
Space Axe
Trench Knife
Vibro-Blade

Last edited:
Handguns - autopistol, revolver, snub pistol, accelerator pistol
smg/PDW
shotgun - double barrel, pump action, semi-auto
Rifle - carbine/assault rifle, rifle, autorifle, accelerator rifle

I use the T5 makers to add features and quirks to the guns.

In most games I've played, folks are always dying for gauss weapons especially the pistol. Seems to be a Scout favorite.

In the current game one person (former Army Doctor) left with a Gauss Pistol, and another (a Hacker/Rogue) has an Intelligent Autopistol, and the one other person (Law Enforcement) has an old service-issue Autopistol and a backup BodyPistol - nobody else had mustered weapons. The other characters had... a basic Autopistol (the Journalist/Rogue) and a monodagger and revolver (the Noble/Rogue) that they got pre-game start as their normal equipment. The Bureaucrat had no weapons at all to start, but in the last session blew 15KCr on a 5mm Target Autopistol with every crazy scope and attachment he could get on it. He looks like an idiot carrying it around, but the player likes that idea and is playing it up.

D.

It's gotta be the Shotgun. With a wide variety of lethal and non-lethal ammunition types, supplemental systems like Gyroscopic stabilization (for those semi-automatics), laser sights, grenade launcher attachments, folding stocks, and intelligent or secure weapon; the shotgun has, I feel, a wider spectrum of use. The weapon can be shortened to hide in a leather bandoleer so as to appear peaceful. But nothing is scarier than hearing that pump-slide action when a new shell is chambered. Intimidation versus portability is a factor in deciding what weapon to muster out with.

The drawback to this preference is use in zero-g or freefall. Shotguns kick and they can put a user clear across the cargo hold in zero-g maneuvers. Thus, it is recommended that a user of a Shotgun learn Zero-G and put a foot or two on a wall or floor before squeezing the trigger.

Shotguns can be pieces of art. Stained and tooled leather bandoleers, bands of shotgun shells, art-carved stocks and handles, wicked mottos on the casing and intimidating attachments make the weapon a statement of personality rather than a tool.

The variety of ammunition allows for further consideration of the situation. The weapon then doesn't just kill. It can open doors, drop a thug with a anti-riot round, blow out a barrier with a frangible, stop a beast with minor wounds, see use in a true hunt for survival, and of course kill another sophont.

From the antiques Armory on Dhillourr (Gzaefueg 1413), this is the Pakkrat.

In most games I've played, folks are always dying for gauss weapons especially the pistol. Seems to be a Scout favorite.

Yeah, my lot tended towards them, esp the ex-Marines after we used GunMaker to provide a 20mm hand weapon (if they were strong enough, otherwise it was used a bit like a SMG or carbine) with AP and HE rounds

Oddly enough they tend to be shotguns and SMG's. I have a revolver based on the RSh-12 from Russia that is the current favorite among Marines (who are issued them) and mercenaries, so that gets picked a lot.

Mainly, I limit it to either whatever kind of small arm the PC's service uses routinely (other than P/FGMP's), or the weapon the player character has specialized in during chargen. It makes sense that the PC would do it that way since those would be the likely way he/she had experience with the gun.

My Scouts use a lot of shotguns (though mainly the auto-fire capable types) and SMG's because they both work so well in confined spaces like tiny ships, are easy to maintain, and low tech enough you can get parts nearly anywhere the locals know how to work steel. Marines have gauss rifles and the above mentioned revolver for garrison duty and only bring out the high energy guns in actual wartime. Armies depend on local TL, though nobody has ever played a PC that came form a pike and musket sort of culture yet. Navies likes shiny lasers and snub pistols, and the Merchants are pretty much personal preference.

And it isn't often the player sticks with what he chooses once loose among the Walmarts Of Tomorrow.

The variety of ammunition allows for further consideration of the situation. The weapon then doesn't just kill. It can open doors, drop a thug with a anti-riot round, blow out a barrier with a frangible, stop a beast with minor wounds, see use in a true hunt for survival, and of course kill another sophont.

From the antiques Armory on Dhillourr (Gzaefueg 1413), this is the Pakkrat.

Yes, see that's the biggest reason I have the Scouts in the year 2466 using shotguns: they do anything and can be made and maintained anywhere. Scouts are all about survival so a gun that can be used to hunt anything that flies, runs, and crawls is a must. I have available as survival kit loads shells like stun rounds (like the ones TASER makes for the shotgun), signal flares, fishing rounds (fires a barbed low-velocity sabot cluster with line attached), explosive rounds, demolition rounds, even noisemaker rounds that whistle for signalling. The list is endless.

For space-based characters (Navy, Marine, Scout, etc) I tend to go for recoilless laser weapons that are actually usable in space.

Planet-bound characters might use slug-throwers, appropriate for the local TL.

Yes, see that's the biggest reason I have the Scouts in the year 2466 using shotguns: they do anything and can be made and maintained anywhere. Scouts are all about survival so a gun that can be used to hunt anything that flies, runs, and crawls is a must. I have available as survival kit loads shells like stun rounds (like the ones TASER makes for the shotgun), signal flares, fishing rounds (fires a barbed low-velocity sabot cluster with line attached), explosive rounds, demolition rounds, even noisemaker rounds that whistle for signalling. The list is endless.

Valid points. Taking notes.

My personal preference is for a shotgun for a firearm, with the option of a heavy revolver with shoulder stock, and a machete/bolo for a blade.

The Marine (wet navy) character in a novel that I am working on generally carries an 11.5mm automatic pistol, but also carries a 9mm/11.5mm Magnum revolver with a carbine using the same ammunition in his baggage, along with a 12 gauge shotgun, a full-power semi-automatic rifle (think M-14), and a bolt-action hunting rifle. He has been out a while.

A Marble Game Getter would be a nice gun as well for mustering out, but is more a survival weapon.

Where does an hatchet/tomahawk fit in the blade structure, or is that a separate item skill?

Mostly handguns, like a service autopistol or revolver, maybe snub. An integral laser pistol for a higher tech level noble.

High tech handguns would be 'smart' (like from a cyberpunk setting), feeding information to heads up displays. These would be really sophisticated pieces.

I recently purchased Mongoose Core Traveller 2nd ed, after trying to reconcile a 1st edition and the Central Supply Catalog. In MCT 2ed, characters are limited to taking as a mustering-out benefit those weapons up to TL 10 and that cost up to 1,000 CR. For MCT players, that limits you with ACRs and TL 10 laser pistols being the most advanced weapons you can receive as such benefits.

I recently purchased Mongoose Core Traveller 2nd ed, after trying to reconcile a 1st edition and the Central Supply Catalog. In MCT 2ed, characters are limited to taking as a mustering-out benefit those weapons up to TL 10 and that cost up to 1,000 CR. For MCT players, that limits you with ACRs and TL 10 laser pistols being the most advanced weapons you can receive as such benefits.

Mistyped, that should be TL 12, not TL 10.

I was at a local gun shop the other day looking over the offerings, and came across a very interesting one. It was a fully stocked, 16 inch barrel revolver with 5 chambers in the cylinder, and can take .45 Colt revolver, .45 Colt Automatic Pistol (using half-moon clips), and .410 shotgun shells. I would have to check how much you could hot-load the .45 Colt shells given the chambering, but it would make a very nice multi-purpose gun for say a Scout or a Merchant. Not that heavy, and balances quite nicely. I really do not need the scope on it, and technically it is used, as a collector bought it and now has decided to sell it. Looks like it has never been fired.

I was at a local gun shop the other day looking over the offerings, and came across a very interesting one. It was a fully stocked, 16 inch barrel revolver with 5 chambers in the cylinder, and can take .45 Colt revolver, .45 Colt Automatic Pistol (using half-moon clips), and .410 shotgun shells. I would have to check how much you could hot-load the .45 Colt shells given the chambering, but it would make a very nice multi-purpose gun for say a Scout or a Merchant. Not that heavy, and balances quite nicely. I really do not need the scope on it, and technically it is used, as a collector bought it and now has decided to sell it. Looks like it has never been fired.

Sounds like some variant of the Taurus Judge in rifle form. The Taurus Judge is exactly that, but in a handgun. I actually saw a rifle like you described in a movie recently.

"Circuit Judge" by Rossi

Rossi_Circuit_Judge_SCJT4510_R.jpg

https://www.rossiusa.com/

Back