• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mustering-out Guns

"Circuit Judge" by Rossi

Rossi_Circuit_Judge_SCJT4510_R.jpg

https://www.rossiusa.com/

The one I was looking at was the one on the bottom. It is a nice gun for the money.

Mustering out equipment is generic, though if you have a fleshed out military, it could be specific, or it could an undeclared battlefield souvenir or something won from the quartermaster at a poker game.

The most useful firearm you can buy is a pump action shotgun, the most innocuous would be a single barrel twenty five credite imperiale shotgun with calibre adapters at SolMart.

The most useful firearm you can buy is a pump action shotgun, the most innocuous would be a single barrel twenty five credite imperiale shotgun with calibre adapters at SolMart.

"Useful firearm you can buy" - and therein lies the rub. It is relatively easy and cheap for a beginning Traveller to buy a shotgun. But mustering-out benefits give the Traveller an opportunity to get his/her hands on an expensive piece of hardware he/she otherwise couldn't readily obtain or buy (even if won't meet law enforcement limits of a particular world, you can always store it in the ship's locker or your quarters against future needs). Under Mongoose Traveller 2d ed, the most expensive and high tech items you can receive mustering out is the ACR or Accelerator Rifle. I would recommend taking one of those, and buying the shotgun.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the process you use?

off the top of my head:

ss 0-1: none
ss 2-3: blade
ss 4-5: single shot gunpowder/chemical/torsion weapon
ss 6-7: simple firearm
ss 8-9: complex firearm
etc

similar system applies to pilot, computer, starship ownership, etc.

That's an interesting concept Flykiller. What's the process you use?

An alternative I proposed in another thread is

LL+7-SOC.

So the lower the SOC the more disarmed you are, the higher the better off. High LL still restricts but the upper classes got serious personal firepower advantages.

If you are feeling like REALLY putting on the class society clinic, apply that formula to all of the LL functions.

Among other things the underclass lives in a world of total oppression but also total bribery/corruption, and the higher classes have far more freedom- but will have far less chance to bribe their way out and get held to a higher standard.

an excellent consideration. I was looking more to an imperial standard (since soc is an imperium-relevant stat) but local planetary and march social standings will be very prominent too.

Back