• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Need help with Broadsword deck plans

I've got a whole set of animations for iris valves of the sort seen in the Millennium Falcon. These are what I use in MTU. The animations include "xray" views showing where the iris leaves go and run from 2 to 6 leaves for circular deck valves and 2 to 5 leaves for wall valves. No more than 6 leaves in a circular hatch or 5 leaves in an oval hatch are possible unless the leaves can somehow pass through each other.

I figure the leaves come together in a tongue and groove seal when closed.

See http://www.sff.net/people/kitsune/traveller/irisvalve/index.html for the animations.
Cool!
Yes, those are flat-seal iris valves, like the one at http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/s...467&viewfull=1
The disadvantage is that they take up about twice the door size in diameter, while an iris diaphragm only takes up 1.5 times. The advantage is that a flat seal valve would probably stay sealed if hit by a rocket-propelled grenade, while an iris diaphragm might pop open if you leaned on it.

Ok, other than looking cool (and being part of Traveller since ~day 1), is there any advantage to iris valves? I guess in theory you can get through one quicker, since you don't have to wait for it to open quite as far before passing through, but even that seems a bit iffy. One can slip through a manual door just as quickly I would presume. Maybe even quicker, since I'm doing it at my speed, and not having to wait for the mechanism to cycle the door.

And my apologies for the tangent.

Ok, other than looking cool (and being part of Traveller since ~day 1), is there any advantage to iris valves? I guess in theory you can get through one quicker, since you don't have to wait for it to open quite as far before passing through, but even that seems a bit iffy. One can slip through a manual door just as quickly I would presume. Maybe even quicker, since I'm doing it at my speed, and not having to wait for the mechanism to cycle the door.

And my apologies for the tangent.

They can't be jammed/forced by pressure differentials.

A manual hatch, opened against a 1 ATM pressure differential, is several tons (14.7 pounds per square inch or so, and assuming 3' diameter, about 7 tons); you are NOT opening it against a full 1ATM manually. Ain't closing it, either, against a flow the other way. And, if manually opening it from the swing side with pressure from the frame side, that 1/4 ton door just took some 30 g's. Welcome to "flinging the operator"...

The Iris, on the other hand, might jam, but can be safely forced at that point. And, while they take about 5/3 the opening area in wall area, they don't add swing volume.

A couple other points I've usually considered re Iris vs Manual hatches:

Iris hatches can be controlled from the bridge/computer, and as part of the Anti-Hijack program. Manual hatches may be monitored but not controlled.

Iris hatches are frozen if the power is out. They can be forced manually, but not easily, and not without mechanical assistance (a specialized crank, manual or power assisted). They cannot be forced at all if power is available without first interrupting the power or overriding the control. Manual hatches on the other hand don't use power, but can be locked from one side or both, by the manual dogs if included or jamming a bar in the wheel if not.

EDIT: And of course, Iris hatches are better with passengers (usually civilians) aboard. They open and shut automatically so the pax don't have to be constantly reminded to shut the hatch.

Maybe more MTU than OTU. Mostly done to have reasons for mixing it up on deckplans :) More fun that way.

Last edited:
To leap in on the iris valve tangent...

It seems that the traditional sci-fi staple of a sliding pressure hatch is better than an iris valve.

Yes you loose the ability to make a fine-tuned gun-port to repel boarding parties, but you retain all the other benefits, such as auto/remote-open/close, obstruction resistance, and pressure differential blocking/slamming.

If having a gun-port feature is still desired, a mini-iris could be installed in the door itself.

Thanks for the replies, and "duh", I should have remembered most of those. It just goes to show you how long it has been since I've played Traveller. I really must add it to my to-do list, and make sure it advances to the top as I check things off.

Nyrath here had me jonesin' for some Traveller with his art earlier in the year, but I got sidetracked into running D&D. And I still haven't cracked open the Blender book he recommended to me. :(

Not really big on the Iris gun port ideal, after all you have boarders and you are shooting up your ship, isolate them and use the gravity on them. Have some large riots shields and go after them like a swat breach team. Computer controlled expanding fire suppression hardening foam might be an interesting trick.

Nyrath here had me jonesin' for some Traveller with his art earlier in the year, but I got sidetracked into running D&D. And I still haven't cracked open the Blender book he recommended to me. :(
I got a copy of that book as well. I'm pretty good with Blender, but I learned how to use it in a hap-hazard way. There are quite a few gaps in my Blender knowledge that I'm using the book to fill in.

You should try it, since you've already demonstrated a knack for Blender, with your ship image you have in the galleries.

Awesome work, I think that class is one of my favorites. I like casting them in the role of patrol cruiser since back in the day I didn't have access to a good set of deck plans for one and Broadsword had some nice ones with interior shots. Also nice to have one of the cutter modules holding fighters. Makes a nice piracy interdiction cruiser when you have room for a boarding cutter, ships troops and fighter support all in one starship.

Back