• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

New version of TravellerWorlds

I finally figured it all out! I was not being careful about where generation started and making sure every last aspect happened only after the random number generator was initiated with the desired seed. Restructured the code to fix it.

New version has released with Muji_k's items 1, 2 and 4 fixed; 3 and 5 are now on my to-do list.

Having said this, I've run it on a few systems and I may be missing things. I've been staring at this for too long. I'd very much like other pairs of eyes over this to verify I've fixed these things. As always, please message me here or email me (contact details on TravellerWorlds) with any bugs or enhancement requests.

Many thanks again for the excellent descriptions Muji_k that let me replicate the problem and then fix it.
No problem I'm glad to be able to help...

So I've tested the new version released on July 17 and found a few things:

1. When generating a system through "New star system">"Make system and map", the Stellar Data is not being followed.
    If I import the data of Regina (SPIN 1910) through "get data for this world" and try to generate the system, it creates 3 stars with size and spectral class different from what was inputted in the Stellar data field, which in this case is not much of a problem since we can change it back in the star details, but in other systems like Quiru (SPIN 2321) besides changing the size and class of the stars it also changes the numbers of stars which is kinda of a problem since we can't scrub stars, which leave us trying to find a seed with the number of stars that we want. This also happens if the Stellar data in inputted directly so it's not the "get data" process fault.
  2. When clicking "Regenerate system (current seed)" right after creating a new star system through "New star system" the system still changes.
    In the case of Regina (SPIN 1910) the position, UWP and other details of the planets change, and one of the gas giants get transformed in a normal planet, although the stellar data now stays the same, it's different from what was inputted in the Stellar data field before generating the system as stated in the previous item, but it's still the same from before pressing "Regenerate system (current seed)". Testing it with Quiru (SPIN 2321), produces similar results, with a gas giant also being transformed into a planet, and positions, UWP, and other details changing.
    Further pressing "Regenerate system (current seed)" doesn't change the system anymore after the first time. Looking at the JSONs now i have no idea what might be causing this, both the JSONs from before and after the change have the same seed with integer format, and besides a few parameters like, diameter (it's different but still in the range for that UWP size), density type, density, rotation period, axial tilt, and hidroPercentage everything else for the mainworld is exactly the same. And all those parameters shouldn't affect the system formation, they should only matter for the planet map if at all, but strangely the world map is unaltered. But the parameter for the other worlds vary drastically from the before and after JSON files.
Thanks again for creating this tool and for taking a look at my bug reports

I don't why but my second message appears to have not been approved by the moderator (I was still in probation period) or got deleted due some quirk of the system (maybe because i got out of the probation period between my two previous messages)...
Anyway, as i was saying, sorry for splitting the items, but i forgot to test the number 4 and by the time i finished testing it the 5 minute time to edit the post had run out.

1. I did some more testing and it seems that the change only occurs in systems that come from data imported from travellermap, it may be that when importing, the seed is still coming as a string. When a system is generated directly in Traveller World through refresh or "Regenerate System (new random seed) it doesn't change with "Regenerate system (current seed)".​
  2. When importing the JSON of a previously exported system with companion stars, like Regina (SPIN 1910) from the previous item either from before or after the "Regenerate system (current seed)" changed the system, the companion is getting copied to the secondary system star transforming the system to a 4 star system. and having the orbit status renamed from "Companion" to "Primary".
    I don't know how problematic this is since it doesn't seem that the new secondary is been used to calculate the temperature in the worlds in orbit of it or anything else.
    By re-exporting the JSON after the system changes to a 4 star system and analyzing it i can see that few things changed,
    First, the parameter "system" which gives the system name changed for the main world only from "Regina system (1910 Spinward Marches)" to "Regina (1910 Spinward Marches)", which is not a big deal but its still weird that it changed it,
    Second, In the JSON that came from after the system changed using the "Regenerate system (current seed)" in the previous item, a Ice world had two parameters change, "hydroPercentage" and "stressFactor" strangely this wasn't in a world in orbit of the star with the new companion added but in the primary system.
    and Third the new companion appears in the JSON code but only in the end of the file, in the description of the objects in orbit in the "type": "orbitSet" section, in the beginning of the file where the star also get mentioned in the mainworld and in the stars sections, there are still only 3 stars.
Again thanks for creating this tool and for taking a look at my bug reports

Last edited:
I have put out another release that fixed the introduced bugs. The bugs were preventing nearly all systems from generating when navigating from Traveller Map. Please let me know if there are further bugs. Muji_k - I have addressed the stars regenerating incorrectly as well and run it on several systems. But please let me know of any place it is broken. Your reports are so useful and helped me track down the problem quickly.

Found a glitch.
The setting "main world is placed as a satellite" applies to subsequent worlds generated using seeds from TravellerMap, even when deselected (it re-appears as selected).

Clearing site cookies resolves this.

Is there a "save changes" / "clear changes" for the preferences page that I'm missing?

Firefox 107.0, Ghostery 8.9.6

Last edited:
RESOLVED! (see bolded sentence)
Found a glitch.
The setting "main world is placed as a satellite" applies to subsequent worlds generated using seeds from TravellerMap, even when deselected (it re-appears as selected).

Clearing site cookies resolves this.

Is there a "save changes" / "clear changes" for the preferences page that I'm missing?

Firefox 107.0, Ghostery 8.9.6
Yes, there was indeed a "save changes" / "clear changes" option for the preferences page that I missed:
It's the stacked buttons "(Save) (Close) (Reset)", over on the right hand side.

Due to their placement in the box with the color options, they appeared to only apply to the color options rather than the entire page.

They do, in fact, apply to the entire page.

It's still (as always) an amazingly useful tool. Thanks!

Back