• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

No powerpacks for Gauss Rifles?

There'd have to be a power connector so the backup capacitor could be kept charged while the gun is in the armoury/ship's locker. You don't leave a weapon with a clip in it and who knows when the weapon will next be drawn for use?

Originally posted by binky:
Nope, the weapon contains a capacitor that holds enough charge whilst you swap mags.
Toh-may-toh --> toh-mah-toh.

Using a capacitor as a battery means that the rifle has an onboard power supply. Sorry if I wasn't clear that the word "battery" meant whatever is the 57th Century power storage equivalent.

As womble pointed out: you aren't going to store gauss weapons for extended periods of time with the clips in them but you're also not going to expect, in an emergency, to grab a rifle and mag from the arms locker, then find a quiet corner of the ship to calibrate the rifle before you fire it. So you could say that GRs use iron sights and have no electronics, except that canon says they do, ergo the electronics require some form of "persistence" and that "persistence" will require some form of onboard power, even if it only provides a trickle charge.

Okay, this particular equine corpse has been beaten to the point of liquification. It's just one of those blank areas where an individual GM can add "color". IMTU, all TL 9+ weapons have some onboard power supply. YTU may be different: DWTWSBTWOTL.

I fail to see the problem. The rifle has a small onboard battery for retaining sighting/setup information for extended periods of time. It recharges itself from the magazine battery when it's inserted. The gyros only run with a magazine inplace.

Sure the onboard battery will fail every so often (it would take years unless you've got a bad batch). Thats what preventive maintenance is for (I did PLENTY of that as a Navy ET).

As for mag batteries draining after long wait periods, I would ignore it unless we are talking about 20+ years. I mean I've taken common commericial batteries that are 3 or 4 years old and they worked just fine. Tech 9+ mil-spec has GOT to be better...

GB

Not all persistant memory requires power, so that argument is null.

It is safe to assume however, that any electronic device will have some sort of battery. That being so, then you can also expect that the Imperium would use standardized interchangeable/rechargeable batteries for simplified logistics purposes.

The book info doesn't spell out every single detail of the various weapons and accessories, you'll just have to use your best judgement. Just assume that anything available today can be made smaller and more standardized in the future. A lot of the devices we take for granted now were science-fiction 20-30 years ago.

:cool:

Hello.
Just curiouse what kind of programs would you have in the chip for a gun that couldn't be loaded onto a eprom chip or a dedicated chip (no power needed until you load the gun).
Bye.

Hi. I'm visiting briefly but I'm going to toss my nickel in anyways. *plunk*

I fail to see why a Gauss Rifle even requires an internal power source. The user's own body can supply the necessary energy (remember, we're talking fairly high end gravity technology) if necessary.

I did convert this weapon to star wars d20 and ended up using an energy cell (basically a battery) in the magazine as the power source.

Summarized Chime-In..

IMTU:

Gauss Rifles and High-End slug throwers all have a power cell (located inside the stock). This is used to power the electronics/sights/stablization etc.
It's rechargeable, either from normal power sources or powered armor.

Energy for shooting a gauss weapon is in a magazine battery (IAW canon). Although I allow supplemental energy to be provided by the weapon or armor if needed.

So, while the power source to fire the gauss rounds are in the magazine...if that's depleted, you can still draw from the weapon (draining it much quicker) or armor (if powered). It seems the common-sense kind of back-up the military would have designed, to avoid the 'dead magazine' scenario.

NOTE:
I do NOT mean to imply that powered armor is needed for gauss weapons. Just that if you have it, you can use its power for your weapon in an emergency.
Also, for my purposes, Combat Environ Suits and Combat Armor have (tappable) power sources as well (which exist to supply power for Hud, commo gear, monitoring of the life support, etc).

Back