• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Our solar system

Originally posted by Plankowner:
Yeah, you gotta watch those Impies, sneaky little varmits!
I dunno - something tells me that when you're throwing down moons as blunt objects, "sneaky" isn't really your style... ;)

Originally posted by Black Globe Generator:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Plankowner:
Regarding Phobos and Deimos missing from Book 6, remember that the Size S (small) has a minimum size of 200 km. So any moon under 200km in diameter is not listed...
And there it is.

Thanks, Plankowner - I'd forgotten the lower limit on size-S objects.
</font>[/QUOTE]Ditto here. Knew they were small and iffy as moons, just forgot the Book 6 small bodies rule. Much thanks Plankowner

I use S for small, which means something less than 800 km in diameter, it is a general catchall. Besides Pluto is not a planet anymore, so I can't list it in good conscious without listing Sedna, Xena, and others, and it appears their is a whole belt of these objects, so I decided to stop at Neptune. Phobos and Demios are important to terrestrial worlds such as Mars and Earth which don't have many Moons, to gas giants such small potato shaped moons are a dime a dozen, but if their is an 8 mile wide something orbiting an Earth-sized world, I think it is important.

Actually Xena is a television character, unlike Hercules which has mythological roots. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a student of ancient Greek classics after all.

Originally posted by Laryssa:
Actually Xena is a television character, unlike Hercules which has mythological roots. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a student of ancient Greek classics after all.
As the discoverers describe here, Xena and Gabrielle were used as placeholders pending input from the IAU.

Actually, I like the names Eris and Dysnomia - a good addition to the solar system.

Doesn't make much difference to me, either way, other than Dys is gonna get dissed by students...

"Dys one?"

"Yes, Dis one Eris is..." (points to Eris/Dysnomia system)

Back