• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Outsystem - beyond 100 diameters from the mainworld

If there's one warship designed to go into hostile space, it would be the five parsec range Azhanti High Lightning fleet intruder.

To clarify, most of Imperium Navy warships are closely structured, so that's going to be a bumpy ride if they decide to dip their wick into a gas giant, where things can get shaken loose.

Not helped by possibly floating minefields and lurking stealthed system defence boats.

It's what's termed a calculated risk, keeping up the momentum of an advance.

The scene from 2010 where they are slingshotting around Jupiter comes to mind (I think it was Jupiter): the ship is shaking pretty badly.

Second season of Lost In Space reboot.

17097891_800.jpg

Don't know what the rationale was behind the design, except like the Ark, not much choice.

Apparently, alien technology was involved.

The thing is ice fueling from a world such as Pluto should be quicker than the ice cap mining since you don't have more than a very thin atmosphere to contend with and the local gravity is way below the g rating of the fuel shuttle m-drives.

Honestly, I attribute the extra time simply in the man handling of converting ice to liquid form, not so much the transit from orbit to ground. Water skimmers suffer that same issue.

The scene from 2010 where they are slingshotting around Jupiter comes to mind (I think it was Jupiter): the ship is shaking pretty badly.

They were aero braking, using the drag of the atmosphere to slow down the ship, that's where the turbulence was coming from.

(I love that movie.)

Honestly, I attribute the extra time simply in the man handling of converting ice to liquid form, not so much the transit from orbit to ground. Water skimmers suffer that same issue.
The difference in time between water skimming and ice mining shows how long the ice mining takes in addition to the transit through the atmosphere and just slurping water.
What we need info on is the breakdown of transit time, water slurping and ice mining. Getting to and from the surface of Pluto will be faster than getting to and from the surface of a larger world with a thicker atmosphere.

The difference in time between water skimming and ice mining shows how long the ice mining takes in addition to the transit through the atmosphere and just slurping water.
What we need info on is the breakdown of transit time, water slurping and ice mining. Getting to and from the surface of Pluto will be faster than getting to and from the surface of a larger world with a thicker atmosphere.

Also if ice mining on a cold, very thing or less atmosphere world the ice cannot be melted and sucked up as liquid. You'd have to first load the solid ice into the ship and once you pressurize that space then you could melt and pump it into the tanks.

Back