• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

[Pedantic] Primary Mission Codes across Traveller

Did anyone do an analysis of the Trillion Credit Squadron competitions to see what designs actually worked? Do those vessels match the mission codes?

I suspect the big dreadnoughts actually dread quite a lot of smaller, cheaper things that carry a spinal weapon.

What's interesting is to note the relative sizes of WW I cruisers vs WWII cruisers vs Current cruisers.
Displacements in Td of water, not Protium.
WW I
SC (CS) Chester 3750 Td (Scout Cruiser)
C Cincinatti 3183 Td
C (CP) Columbia 7375 Td
C (CP) Denver 3,200 Td
C Montgomery 2,000 Td
ACR (CA or BC) Pennsylvania 13,680 Td
ACR (CA or BC) St Louis 9,700 Td
Note that the ACRs are intended as pocket battleships.

WW II
CB (BC) Alaska 29,771 Td
CL Atlanta 6,718 Td
CA/CAG Baltimore 13,600 Td
CL Brooklyn 9,767 Td (Note that it's a refinement of the Baltimore...)
CL Cleveland 11,744 Td
CL Fargo 11,744 Td
CL Juneau 6,500 Td (Post war short lived Atlanta variant)
CA New Orleans 9,950 Td (Prewar, served to 1947)
CA Northamption 9,050 Td
CL Omaha 7,050 Td
CA Portland 9,950 Td (Originally as CL, but the NLT required it to be reclassed due to armamement)

Note how, over just those 50 years, sizes changed? Interwar lights ran to 9000 tons or so; in WW I, 9000 was a heavy cruiser and 14000 was a Battlecruiser.
In WW II, the Alaska Class was formally a battle cruiser (but noting that it was a cruiser in the leading C) The CA's are 9K and bigger, but some of the CL's hit nearly 12k... but had smaller guns.

The designations in even the most pedantic of navies (and the USN was right up there) had flexibilities due to treaties and wartime expediency...

The interbellum was defining ships by sizes of the ships' guns, with a fleet limit on overall tonnages... and a late change made Brooklyn and Cleveland Classes CL's ... which suited the Admiralty just fine, thank-you-very-much!

Washington curtailed the natural evolution of warships, and Galápagosized them.

While you could say that the British got the better part of the deal, long term freeze on battleship development and maintaining the requisite manufacturing base undoubtedly hurt them both in the run up to the Great Patriotic War, and during it.

The Alaskas weren't battlecruisers, but could be designated supercruisers.

As for (first class) armoured cruisers, which could weigh in more than battleships, placing them in the line of battle was a somewhat desperate move, or a way to make up the numbers, which the Japanese with their limited naval budget, did sort of preplan.

Back