• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Picture of the Day

Yeah when you did something in civ (one) you got a little animation and ode to joy, but I cant remember what it was you had to do?

I used to play on my 286 pc. Ahh..........(drifts off into nostalgia for a simpler time....no children.......spare time....compuer games....etc)

file_21.gif

I just wandered into this thread, and it about made me spit my Pepsi all over my laptop I laughed so hard! My hands shake as I type this from the residual giggles.

Thanks!

Bob W.

There's something odd happening with the shadows - ones cast on the ground are too light. It's particularly bad under the ATV.

Hm. What bothers me about all these images is the fact that everything is in crisp focus, even when two objects are at different ranges (which would cause blurring of one object if using a real lens) or would be significantly blurred by atmosphere.

That's 'cos we're all too lazy to do proper DOF. Most people only bother if they're going for photo-realism or they're feeling arty.

Bryce which is what I use (to render) tends to make DOF renders look terrible the effect takes a long time and in the end it looks worse. I could do something with object masks but even that is a poor solution. I am not a big fan of DOF in renders generally with my eyes I can see clearly soemthing 5 feet away and soemthing 100 meters away.

My biggest complaing is that I use too soemple a lighting model for the pic. I use a sort of light array now I use average around 30 lights to make it look like sunlight. that one uses one and abience and look where that gets you. (30 lights is still faster than usign Bryces soft shadows)
The sun is very low on the horizon so it makes the shadows streach a lot.

All the models in the render are my own I don't go download someone elses models.The tracks were built one link at a time. I made a master link and duplicated it around the roadwheels. All modeling is done in Wings3D an open source modeler.

If you guys are going to critisise at least find soemthing wrong with it. Give you a few examples. the ground in the forground is too even. The Dinosaur looks unbalanced. The shadows are too hard and crisp.

I since made some cati that would probably fit in nicley(prblem is that they are abotu 15K poly so not too many) . I thought the ATV would be a cool adventure vehicle sort of leave you on the planet for two weeks check out what is there as the GM make some nasty encounters and the like while they are waiting for pickup. The suspension is two stage one on teh wheel liek normal and there is a subframe that supports the cab and there is another set of shocks between the cab and the subframe. The tracks are driven with electric motors that are supplied with fusion power.(whatever you want really) But the subframe the mothers are actually all modeled in there.

Something I wish I could do effectivly is have a bit of motion blur around the road wheels and tracks there. The plants are Bryce parametric plants so they are really little effort on my part. Just set in tree type and tweak a bit. I do have a lot os sci fi I did but my modelign chops for a lto of them are nto up to snuff. Been gettign better. I have done more creatures and the like than anything else.

Don't you hate it when your shake and bake colony runs into trouble like this.
http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1150391

I am talking about the rotating of the tracks and wheels. Doing the vehicle itself is actually an easy task. But getting the wheels each rotating around and the tracks is a trick it can be done with animation and just take a frame from it. Consierign this is a few tech levels above current and a M1 can go close to 50mph you could argue there is a need for some motion blur.

What version of C4D are you using now. Soemoen over at anther site was showing of the new hair plug in quite interesting. I am just using a 5 year old version of Bryce and Wings. Wings is actually pretty good overall and consider that it is open source meaning free that is just great. I perfer doing creatures to anything else.

"I am talking about the rotating of the tracks and wheels."

Even so, I wouldn't bother.

"What version of C4D are you using now."

9.5, the latest. It's my only vice. Sad, isn't it?

"Soemoen over at anther site was showing of the new hair plug in quite interesting."

Yeah, it looks pretty cool. Not something I've needed much, though.

"I am just using a 5 year old version of Bryce and Wings."

I'm not a fan of Bryce renders.

"Wings is actually pretty good overall and consider that it is open source meaning free that is just great."

Tried Blender? That seems to be the best free app.

"I perfer doing creatures to anything else."

How about doing a Hiver?

Back