• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Power plant question

Demonstrably, it did not.

Fission is still a "mega" project, and it's Dangerous (for assorted values of Dangerous). Which made it also very expensive.

Traveller Fusion is of the Mr. Fusion variety to the point that vehicles have it built in, rather than running on batteries. There's a fusion generator parked outside of people houses, shopping centers, elementary schools, and government offices. And that's AOK.

"Yes, sir, it's fine to park your fusion powered car in the garage beneath the court room, but you'll need to leave that pen knife and tweezers at home."

Meanwhile, Fission is like coal. Nasty, dirty, and best kept away from people.

There was never any call for dotting nuclear fission generators across, say, Africa (where environmental regulations and, shall we say, "quite lax").

Now, we're simply coating the planet with solar panels.
Fission as presented in MegaTraveller isn't dangerous or dirty - except maybe for the maintenance people - but it isn't exactly cheap: half a million credits for a 5 Mw plant minimum, which is about what fusion costs. Fusion scales up better, and it shrinks down nicely at TL12 and above, but at the 5 MW range it's about as good as fusion, though heavier. Couldn't find any fueling rules for fission.

Fission as presented in MegaTraveller isn't dangerous or dirty - except maybe for the maintenance people - but it isn't exactly cheap: half a million credits for a 5 Mw plant minimum, which is about what fusion costs. Fusion scales up better, and it shrinks down nicely at TL12 and above, but at the 5 MW range it's about as good as fusion, though heavier. Couldn't find any fueling rules for fission.
IRL it has some of the best safety records of any power source on Earth. It is one of the cheapest base load sources in the present day.

TNE and T4 FF&S rulesets have fueling rules for fission plants. I recall one refuelling is good for one year at max output. Lower power usage extends the fuel's endurance, hence the drifting starship encased in a 1.6 km thick ice asteroid out in the oot cloud, when recovered may have some power remaining in it's reactor core because it has only had the "natural" rate of decay the last few million years.

TNE and T4 FF&S rulesets have fueling rules for fission plants. I recall one refuelling is good for one year at max output. Lower power usage extends the fuel's endurance, hence the drifting starship encased in a 1.6 km thick ice asteroid out in the oot cloud, when recovered may have some power remaining in it's reactor core because it has only had the "natural" rate of decay the last few million years.
One advantage I have built in is fission can be shut down then restarted more easily, fusion requires a jump start to initiate.

But I make a distinction between aneutronic fusion, helium 3 fusion and muon catalyzed fusion so perhaps more crust/bling then people like or need.

Back