• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Poyekhali! Cosmos: Age of Sail setting is go. Thank you.

A couple of years back I was all set to launch a 'Classic d6' Science Fiction setting and revisited Lone Star for chat and advice. I had no idea about ongoing legal issues or other obstacles in this neck of the gaming woods but received sage advice from, if memory serves, some of the fine folk behind Gypsy Knight and Zhodani Base. I had been ready to rock after years of work on a setting I had christened Ad Astra.

One movie enforced name change, a thorough reboot to Cepheus Engine and a complete system overhaul later launch day has finally arrived. Before the inevitable plug I'd like to thank all of you grognards whose helpfulness turned my head in the right direction. Ta much gang.

The setting is now called Cosmos: Age of Sail and can be snaffled on Drive Thru RPG where I am Horizon Games. The Core setting, Cosmos: Age of Sail - Charted Space, is up with 3 other volumes already written and due to appear over the course of the next few weeks. I reckon it's an extremely cheap, meaty, bang for your buck offering (In the end all 4 volumes should clock in at $10). Mindful of all the work done to create Cepheus and make classic sci-fi gaming widely available to cash strapped gamers you also have the option of snaffling it for free.

As one bloke on a budget I appreciate it won't match big players for shininess but I really hope the detail, consistency and coherence of the setting make it worth your while.

Once again thank you for the encouragement. Poyekhali!

Age of Sail - plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose?

A good question so brace yourself for as complete reply as I can muster. It's probably best if I explain the background to Age of Sail since what is unique or familiar is really a consequence of how the setting was developed. I applied a ground up, first principles approach similar to the one I used for my Sulhan fantasy setting, possibly the consequences of a geography degree or the sign of an unhealthy obsessive mentality. Cosmos grew from a wish I had to see a Classic D6 roleplaying setting that grew from Earth outwards and felt internally rich, detailed and consistent. I'd loved my years jaunting around the 3rd Imperium and had already created an alternate setting in the early/mid 80's which plonked Humanity down into a strange distant and alien rich corner of the galaxy but I wanted this to grow from what we have and create something that felt plausible consistent within it's own paradigm. The cosmic Age of Sail contains both the unique and familiar. So my thinking went like this...

Humanity spreads out from Sol in a future history that gradually advances while including the crucial elements of the Cepheus and Classic rules. Other technologies develop alongside this. The result is that genetic modification and implants gradually arise and pervade Humanity as improvements in Kessler Engine (Yup, it's a Jump Drive) tech allow the gradual spread of the species in waves through the nearby stars. I originally started work on a 'realistic' near star setting but quickly realised that 2D/3D universe conflicts really lead to minimal gaming benefits. As with the classic game The Aether (Yes, Jump Space - well sort of) projects on to our reality as 2-Dimensional. Aether however is dynamic. You have to stay alert and 'sail' your way through it.

Familiar Consequences
* Subsector hex maps you can hop around. The dynamic Aether rules are optional you can still zoom around without them or gradually introduce them as you get familiar with the Cosmos.
* The classic technological core of jump drives, manoeuvre drives and gravitics remains more or less the same and you can dive right on in.

Unique Consequences
* No huge unifying Imperium or handful of feuding Federations etc. Humanity takes all of its hang-ups with it. Hundreds of marginal independent colonies swirl around precious Garden Worlds and Industrial Giants creating dozens of allying and competing interstellar states all exploring different ways to create Human society. War, greed, tyranny, humour, stupidity, idealism, love and folly shape gradual expansion. TLs are not random or absolutely prescriptive, they reflect the prosperity, connectivity and society of the worlds they describe.
* Outward growth was dependent on improvements in technology. So Jump 1 pioneers were followed by fitful and uneven colonial expansions waves following the development of 'jump' 2 and 3. J-4 does not currently exist other than as a race among developers to be the first to turn existing theory into a working prototype.
* Several genetic variants of Human adapting to recurring planetary niche requirements; tainted atmosphere, extreme gravity etc. You can play one of these variants or pay for a related modification
* Implants and Genetic modification packages (This is NOT however a full on Transhuman setting) are available for characters to purchase/endure or even start with. The basics are outlined in the Core volume and simple Advantages and Disadvantages to use for starting characters are explored in the Companion.
* Aether. You can play perfectly well with the standard rules but 'jump space' is something different in Cosmos. There are rules to allow each character to contribute, for good or ill, to the execution of a jump. Aether is dynamic. Once inside it you are sailing through another dimension. Your pilot and navigator and crew have to stay alert and continue working to reach your plotted exit point in one piece You can: go faster - the crew push the capabilities of themselves and the ship to shorten 'jump times'; Jump in convoy - by assembling the convoy vessels in close proximity and piloting a common course through the Aether; try to follow other jumping vessels - although this is rather tricky; change course in jump space - a skilled crew can actually tack from within the Aether itself and alter their destination and go mad - pilots and navigators are specially trained and sometimes altered to interface their brains with the Kessler Engine. The effect is to create the flavour of an latter day interstellar Age of Sail. There's actually more on the Aether in the Classified volume but I'm avoiding spoilers.

There are more conventional one off elements to enjoy, or indeed pinch for another setting, such as aliens. The two low tech Humanspace examples described in the core setting are relatively straight forward and relatable. Those recently encountered hailing from beyond Charted Space with their own FTL technology are altogether stranger and more challenging to play - although you are encouraged to go for it. There are also buckets of tailored NPCs, story seeds, a glossary, rules for wayfaring the spacelanes without your own ship, a plethora of non-sapient alien lifeforms, lots of background on powerful megacorporation governments and interest groups, a couple of simple introductory wee scenarios, some tech and ships, discussion about unique cargoes, piracy, grav ball leagues...

I should mention that the Classified volume which hordes lots of NPCs and campaign and adventure ideas for games masters also holds some important setting secrets. I do not want players to buy this book. It is intended for referees only and dependent on the troupe's adventuring direction of travel, figuratively and literally, could radically alter the nature of the entire setting. If it's unique you are after and you are a referee there are some serious twists in here. No spoilers though please.

Oh yes and I hope the tone and layout are helpful too. My players like clear non-tiny text with minimal columns and clutter. Maybe it's an old age eyesight thing! I'm glad you noted the Genesis reference too. It's a one man job and I want writing and reading the game to be fun so I've gone for what I hope is a friendly light hearted tone in places to avoid the painfully dry textbook feeling I've encountered with several games in the past (Fans of Lawrence Whittaker's excellent work with and before Design Mechanism will know that this musical approach isn't unique either). Fear not however lovers of statistics and logistics I have added a mountain of detail including a mini alphabet coded 'orrery' to each subsector star system listing so you can revel in a wee bit of crunch if you like.

Of course what will truly make Cosmos unique is what you do with it. It's not Star Trek, Blake's Seven, Dune or the Hitchhikers Guide (Well maybe a little bit). I believe it is absolutely ripe and rife with gaming possibilities. The Age of Sail is yours. Do what you want with it. Expand it, twist it, tweak any way you like. Go ahead and write scenarios, supplements or whole campaigns of your own set there. I would love that. I really don't mind. Stick "A (product) for Cosmos: Age of Sail" on it if you wish. This is here for the whole community from newbs to grognards (My only caveat would be that you don't include spoilers of the setting secrets and at least flag up such or any big departures from the standard set up just to help your readers get the most out of the setting).

Familiar and Unique elements contribute. The internal balance, believability (Within the context of an interstellar hopping future obviously!), richness, relatability, sense of fun and vast scope for adventure are what I hope will set the Age of Sail apart and make it worthy of your attention. Ultimately Cosmos is a fantastical science fiction future setting you can explore and believe in.

Ta for asking kilemall. Clearly I need to shut the hell up now. Enjoy the game. I'm off for a lockdown stroll. Cheers.

Cool!
[m;]Post a blub and a link to point of sale page in the TAS News section.[/m;]

Age of Sail

Not literally. One of the things I always loved about the basic rules was the week (This can vary in Cosmos) required for a jump. The reliance on travel for up to date information about what is happening in the universe. I wanted to bring more of that historical Age of Sail atmosphere into my game. I have a more involved crew participatory approach to jump and a dynamic jump space (Aether). Journey times vary because advances in TL and top crews can 'make it so'. Navigators and Pilots actually experience this alien dimension in order to bring ships home safely. I picture starports more as harbours than airports. Large ones are defended and vital economic and transport nodes but many are ramshackle, but no less characterful, marginal small havens serving frontier and struggling communities. I have rules for shipless souls allowing them to use the map to explore the spacelanes. You can wait a long time for a ship headed your way in a remote 'backwater'. There's a little more emphasis on taking care of the ship and plenty of political friction.

I don't want to alienate more traditional gamers - you can still ignore all this tomfoolery just hop around, as I said the average timing will work out about the same. I just allows better ships and crews to get an edge and for more colourful convoy manoeuvres, involvement in the 'sailing' and gives the opportunity to introduce some atmosphere and travelling hazards (More of which to follow in the referee only Classified volume). I guess my changes are intended to help evoke something of the romance (And yes I know the reality was pretty brutal) of that era and that felt worth acknowledging in the title; although that was originally going to be Ad Astra but I decided to change to avoid any confusion with the then upcoming movie.

Of course you might just want to pick it up and plunder it for the odd rule you like /subsectors/npcs/tech ideas etc etc. Totally fine. Use what works for you and chuck the rest out of the airlock. Obviously I love it as a whole thing but maybe I'm biased. I did stick to my 'vision' on certain things so there's lots of nice stock art but I'm no artist and felt I had to try and create my aliens myself as I imagined them. Since I couldn't currently afford nice bespoke art like I had for my Horizons RPG and some of Sulhan I had to try and work out for myself which way round to hold a pencil. Sorry, I'm digressing.

The connection is a sense of adventure, enterprise, exploration and romance. I hope.

Age of Sail Companion (The Amber One) is out

The Cosmos: Age of Sail Companion is now up on Drive Thru Newest pay What You Want for a buck. Extra Advantage/Disadvantage Character options, back ground and a few whacky aliens for you to add depth to the setting or just swipe. Hope some happy spacers find something in it they like. Cheers.

SWEET!! I spent the pandemic winter hacking Spelljammer for like three systems but not Traveller... definitely interested and heading there now!

I have to say... I REALLY like it. Quality is obviously self-published. But the setting, at a minimum, has got lots going on.

In fact, I've taken about a year or so off Traveller since during the Pandemic I was actually playing online games (different ones though). But reading COSMOS got me excited to get back to my old projects and maybe take COSMOS out for a spin too!

It's a perfect setting for Clement rulesets. While I love everything about Clement since it is soooo close to the setting that I'm always working on, I just don't find it very interesting. I love the books, the detail and all but there's just not "enough space" to get crazy. GRanted, that's a charm of it too.

But COSMOS has got sooo much going on. One thing I really liked is the three books... Main Book (Green-Player Safe), Amber zone book (players shouldn't...), Red Zone (players stay out). It was a really cool way to break it up.

But let's talk about the UWPs... these are a mess to read. I had to flip back and forth a hundred times and count "/" (slashies) and still had trouble. I like that all of that information was put in the book but the UWP has enough going on already.

So COSMOS has just enough information to be useful and intriguing and not enough to really bog you down. Some of the "flavor" I am still on the fence about (the Aether for one). And Red Space, while a cool metaplot, is just taking up space in my COSMOS. But I also realized it makes a cool GM preserve as well.

I have been struggling with trying to figure out information on the polities since there is very little information out there. A better timeline or even just basic governmental data but then again... it leaves a lot of it up to the imagination.

Long story short, excellent purchase and I'm already working on firing up one of my never-started SOLO bounty hunter games in the Denebola/Arcturus/Eridani/Gacrux/Reticulus/Argo Navis region. Well, I'm babbling. I REALLY like it. Thank you.

Okay, just one more odd thing... I was trying to use the names of things to figure out what languages they might speak and came across the COOLEST thing.

I don't know if this was your idea all along or just a lucky fluke. But when I googled "Kobaia" [Kobaian Oversee] to see what language it came from I found this instead:

Kobaian IS a language

Spaceships of Babel

Thanks for the feedback Kligs. I maybe did go a bit over the top expanding the UWPs to include a wee solar system profile and market rating, I admit I did get rather obsessive, but like anything else I've added in feel free to ignore these! (The Gas Giants were listed first as it's generally what an eager to refuel crew look for). Ditto with the Aether - if you feel that the jump space manoeuvrings and crew tasks get in the way please don't use them. Thinking back I suspect that the alternate dimension element probably springs from my love of Asimov. At school my favourite book was 'The Gods Themselves' and I think something of that energy swapping/reality twisting concept stayed with me (The Classified volume entry on a related sci-fi trope issue maybe hints at an even closer link). I realise that my optional rules do make starfaring more involved. I like the 'all hands on deck' approach but the best way for your game isn't mine it's yours. You know best. Honestly I'm chuffed that people out there are playing the game and hopefully doing there own thing with it.

Red Space is a unique feature. It does give a games master carte blanche (rouge?) to integrate their own ideas or... Well, if you get round to acquiring the 'Classified' volume there's is a lengthy chapter worth checking out.

Re language Poyekhali! is Gagarin's exuberant cry as he became the first man to leave Earth behind (I released the game just after the 60th Anniversary - he was a wee hero of mine when I was younger.

Also Kobaian. I'm impressed Kilgs. I really didn't think anyone would notice. I'm something of a Magma fan and thought I'd include a tribute to their epic crunchy sci-fi chanting. Kobaian cities and names may bear a resemblance to some 'genuine' Kobaian song titles and lyrics.

The Bounty hunting idea sounds like great fun. Heroes for Hire or St. Anthony's might make useful contacts/employers or rivals for your characters. Happy hunting.

Also Kobaian. I'm impressed Kilgs. I really didn't think anyone would notice. I'm something of a Magma fan and thought I'd include a tribute to their epic crunchy sci-fi chanting. Kobaian cities and names may bear a resemblance to some 'genuine' Kobaian song titles and lyrics.

The Bounty hunting idea sounds like great fun. Heroes for Hire or St. Anthony's might make useful contacts/employers or rivals for your characters. Happy hunting.

That's awesome! I love fun things like that. I do have all of the books although I just picked up Vega as I thought that was coming out later. I'm aware of what is in Red Space but also noticed that it makes for nice GM preserve if you're not interested in that aspect.

Absolutely. The Classified Red Space idea can just be shelved or moved. Lots of space to do your own thing. You could probably create quite a wild west or pirate era space opera atmosphere for your bounty hunters. Lots of places in the frontier/Beyond for your marks to hide out.

[m;]Only reasons I'm not writing infractions for non-english content are that I'm in a good mood and it's late local time.[/m;]

[m;]Several posters in this thread need to reread the board rules.[/m;]

Back