• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Boarding Actions in "Age of Sail" Space Combat

so, you've punched holes in the hull, torn off turrets, ripped out airlocks, destroyed life support, fragged the maneuver drives, and blown up the bridge.

ok ... why did you do that? what was the purpose of all that? if your goal was to capture the ship, congratulations, you got it, or rather what remains of it ... now what?

This. Are you destroying a target, or do you have some other mission in mind? For example, grabbing a smallcraft, or an adventure-themed cargo or passenger or crew?

I think boarding actions are HELPed if combat allows rather specific targeting of components, as well as good reasons for short-range space combat (aka "knife-fighting", as opposed to "stand-off and lob missile salvos" until there's nothing left). These concerns also play a part in the T5 "laser, missile, sand" thread about the value of single-turret laser emplacements.

good reasons for short-range space combat

seems to me capturing a specific person, or a specific cargo, or specific information, are the only justifiable reasons for it. nothing else would work. and to pull it off you'd need overwhelming control of the situation, like in that first scene of the first starwars movie - disable the ship, totally enclose it, and fight your way in through the airlocks taking serious casualties because the person, cargo, or information are worth it. the only alternatives are 1) destroy the ship outright, or 2) offer to buy it outright. nothing else would work.

How many boarding actions happened between major combatants and capital ships with the Age of Steam?

You'll need an EMP bomb to at least temporarily short out the controls.

if you're close enough to the target, you hae all the numbers to be also affected by it, if you're not, you're too far to profit from this remparary shorting to take profit from it.

And if you rely in your protected circuits/fib computer, so does the defender...

so, you've punched holes in the hull, torn off turrets, ripped out airlocks, destroyed life support, fragged the maneuver drives, and blown up the bridge.

ok ... why did you do that? what was the purpose of all that? if your goal was to capture the ship, congratulations, you got it, or rather what remains of it ... now what?

Its a good point. A wooden ship of the Age of Sail which was reduced to a hulk could be dry-docked and repaired and put back into use as part of your own fleet.

Spaceships one would assume are more fragile and if not less repairable than the wooden ships, they would be far more expensive to render combat capable again.

Is there a good reason to put a boarding party aboard a fragged ship? I can think of a few ideas but I can argue that most of these can be solved by massive firepower as well.

-Clearing the ship. T5 weapons mounts are self contained with both power and life support. On a completely wrecked ship they can become emergency shelters. Of course this also makes them the equivalent of Japanese machinegun nests on Iwo Jima. If you have these hulks drifting within your 100D space perhaps you have to board them and clear these weapons mounts.

Why not stand off and turn the enemy ship into little pieces? Well probably not chivalrous reasons, more likely because that creates space junk which is a hazard to astrogation.

-Resources. Most things in Traveller are standardized right? So an enemy missile should fit in your missile launcher, and an enemy o-ring should seal your leak just as well as one that might take a month to arrive from your logistics base. You might be able to supplement your supply train by seizing enemy stores, but that means putting a boarding party aboard to seize the ship before it's picked clean. On a more strategic level seizing a ship and breaking it down for expensive and difficult to make bits like the jump drive or pplant might make sense sometimes. (Of course in the realworld sometimes weapons and ammunition are made to be incompatible, or some militaries equip to take advantage of captured resources).

-Intelligence. Human and physical intelligence gathering means putting a boarding party aboard to take prisoners, capture documents and copy the ship's library.

-Propeganda. Churchill sent a special mission out to capture a Tiger Tank. In the process a lot of technical intelligence was gathered but the main pay-off was exhibiting the trophy of war in London. Parking a captured battlecrusier in orbit around your capital sounds good doesn't it? ;)

-Mopping up. Most combat probably happens near planets. If you have a battle within the 100D limit which results in one or many enemy ships knocked out and either drifting or with some level of control or "fightiness" left in them you need to take control of them because otherwise they are a hazard to astrogation. Blowing them to dust doesn't work, that just turns a hulk into a debris cloud. Take control, neutralize and place in a stable parking orbit (or crash into sun/gas giant).

-Rescue. There may also be a humanitarian motivation to extract enemy survivors.

I think they mission killed the Tiger tank, the crew bailed out, and the British captured it, mostly in tact.

Shipped it back and took it apart.

They put it back together, and I believe it was last seen in Fury.

I think they mission killed the Tiger tank, the crew bailed out, and the British captured it, mostly in tact.

Shipped it back and took it apart.

They put it back together, and I believe it was last seen in Fury.

At a late night meeting in the underground War Rooms in London, Churchill told Major Doug Lidderdale; "Go catch me a tiger".

Lidderdale stalked Tiger tanks in North Africa and finally captured one intact after a close range firefight with the crew.

King George Vi actually flew out to Tunis to see the captured Tiger.

He took Tiger 131 back to London and handed it over to Churchill, who placed it on display on Horse Guards Parade the traditional HQ of the British Army.

Okay so its not a perfect example for taking a ship by boarding action and using it for propaganda purposes, but substitute "Patron" for Churchill, and "battleship" for Tiger and you have the bones of a Traveller adventure that might require a boarding action as the climactic scene.

And erm, I couldn't think of a good example of taking a ship and displaying it in the same way.

However there are lots of examples of ships taken by boarding action and brought into service with the fleet. All those British Royal Navy ships with French names are named for ships taken in battle and brought into service. The vast majority required a boarding action, but that was the Age of Sail.

It was once possible to mission kill a ship by just punching enough holes in the fuel tank ... how expensive can that be to repair?

Look at the scale of every Traveller ship combat system published to date...

They almost never deal with boarding actions, do they? Yet there's a very short-and-sweet rule for dealing with it in High Guard.

And, I ask you, isn't Mayday crying out for boarding rules?

My thoughts:

If you want to capture a small ship without harm to the crew the first thing one must do is shut down the power plant. This could be done by firing a missile by scrambling either the computer system or the controls for the reactor will cause the fail safe's to kick in and the ship shut down. Lost of control of the ship may have a down side as well but it would be the less expensive method of disabling a ship. Nor would it apply to larger warships because they have safeguards against such missiles.

I like the idea of robot penetrators being the assault team and human being the mop up.

Has anyone mention the use of tractor beams to lock on to the ship?

It was once possible to mission kill a ship by just punching enough holes in the fuel tank ... how expensive can that be to repair?

Heh, just use the bay weapons no spinal, defuel it.

I haven't seen a system that specs fuel tank costs in CT/HG/MgT, so I think it would just be hull cost. Or arguably + 1% of cost of drives and plant for fuel pumps and controls.

They almost never deal with boarding actions, do they? Yet there's a very short-and-sweet rule for dealing with it in High Guard.

And, I ask you, isn't Mayday crying out for boarding rules?

Mayday points people using vector movement/Mayday:HG to the HG boarding rule, with the requirement of matching course for boarding.

I rather thought one would use Snapshot- it even has a boarding action scenario- well okay, on rereading more a guessing/discipline game as to whether the boarding party is customs or pirate.

...snip... Shall we not also have to kill the power plant as well, to prevent evasive maneuver? ...snip...

IMTU, artificial gravity can be finely controlled, on a compartment basis. As such, the power plant (and maybe distributed power in T5?) must be disabled lest surviving crew disable the safety overrides and turn the boarding party into a thinly smeared red paste with trace metal impurities. :smirk:

IMTU, artificial gravity can be finely controlled, on a compartment basis. As such, the power plant (and maybe distributed power in T5?) must be disabled lest surviving crew disable the safety overrides and turn the boarding party into a thinly smeared red paste with trace metal impurities. :smirk:

It is extremely unlikely that any ship is going to have more thant MDrive+1 G's compensated...And 2G is unlikely to turn people to jam. That said, the 20m long hall in a Type T for bridge access does have the side benefit of being a 20m fall at 4G... 7G if the main drive is on full forward and the compesation sets the neck for 4G's down=aft... That's the longest single potential fall distance I can think of.

It is extremely unlikely that any ship is going to have more thant MDrive+1 G's compensated...And 2G is unlikely to turn people to jam. That said, the 20m long hall in a Type T for bridge access does have the side benefit of being a 20m fall at 4G... 7G if the main drive is on full forward and the compesation sets the neck for 4G's down=aft... That's the longest single potential fall distance I can think of.

Which is probably why boarding armor (at least in my tu) come with "magnetic" boots-boots that firmly attach the wearer to whatever surface they are "standing" on. No throwing my Marines off by rapid agility maneuvers.

On the multi-G boarder defense thing, all bets are off likely with battle dress to compensate for heavy G settings, possibly grav belts working against the field.

So for those who want boarding action, you'll want to not have big G possible until BD is available.

The problem then becomes what happens when zero-G is set, characters are floating and the ship is suddenly accelerating.

Characters are floating in a hallway along with the ship at 100 meters per second, suddenly the 2-G engines kick in and the ship's bulkhead is now coming at the floaters at 20 meters per second.

The length of hallway/cargo bay x acceleration rate is going to determine how hard Mr. Bulkhead is going to hit.

So ya, magboots.

Which suggests reverse supermagnets as part of the anti-boarder dungeon trap toolkit.

Which is probably why boarding armor (at least in my tu) come with "magnetic" boots-boots that firmly attach the wearer to whatever surface they are "standing" on. No throwing my Marines off by rapid agility maneuvers.

Hopefully they have strong ankle supports - if your feet are stuck to something and suddenly gravity changes 90 degrees and 6x normal, your body is going to act like those paddle boards with the ball...

(my issue with armor, such as Iron Man, is that if you get hit hard enough, while the armor may be just fine, you are going to be a jelly slick on the inside. Its those sudden accelerations that get you! I believe Schlock's Mercenary armor has grav compensation built in to handle just that sort of thing).

Back