• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

QSDS from a 2015 view

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
I used QSDS back in the day, and have since abandoned it. There are things to love, and things to detest about it. I've decided to take a look at it after a long time of letting it lay dormant, and see if I can think about it with a cool head.

I am reading from QSDS 1.5e, available here: http://bitsuk.net/Archive/GameRules/files/qsds15e.pdf. In fact, I will attach it to this post, unless someone tells me I shouldn't.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

There's a spartan utility to QSDS, mixed in with a perplexing number of decimal places. It is usable, has several places that can be streamlined, and produces ships that are clearly Traveller starships. However, its rough edges rob the joy from the system, and the overall effect is rather lifeless. It shows promise, though that promise is largely unrealized. Much like the rest of T4.

Page 1

The first thing I note is the unusually steep discount for ships designed using QSDS. I think that perhaps they are throwing QSDS a bone because it has less room for optimization than SSDS. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Is a 25% discount sufficient? Does it yet go too far? If it is sufficient, are SSDS ships really that superior, and if so, why? Couldn't they select parts which provided on average a "no bonus / no penalty" solution? Apparently, no.

But really there is a way to get partway there with no effort, and in fact with a simplification: only keep two significant digits (maximum) in the component costs. It may result in less math, and easier.

My old prejudice is apparently unchanged: starship design for T4 was created by Traveller players who didn't use simple systems, but rather enjoyed using Fire, Fusion, and Steel. More power to them, but FFS scares off most Traveller players. In QSDS we are then left with a joyless system, rather than a simplified system.

Wow, so much for "less heat and more light". Well, pressing on.

Page 2

The design sequence, together with the ship form on the bottom of page 1, seems fine, with a pedigree from both High Guard and Book 2. Some details appear to be unused in the game -- volume in cubic meters, components rated in megawatts -- and are probably better left off.

HULL

A great help in selecting the hull is that life support, controls, airlocks, cargo hatches, antigrav, inertial compensation and lifters are included in the hull. This fits the level of gameplay.

Page 3

One thing I do like about the Standard Hull Configurations table: the hull Length. I like having length pre-computed here for me.

Other entries, however, are a mess. Just eyeballing them doesn't tell me whether or not the values are reasonable, let alone correct.

One solution? Truncate to one significant digit in as many places as possible, and two significant digits everywhere else. If you don't believe me, try it and see. There is no meaningful change in resolution from 54.5 MW and 50 MW.

Another solution? Drop the volume penalty for Hull Configuration. Again, no meaningful change is created by having it.

Pages 4-9

How can I argue against High Guard/MT-style drive rules? Only one nit: keep values to two significant digits. MCr 1008.0? If you want to discount QSDS ships, here's where you do it: drop the MCr 8.

Page 10 - Avionics

No issues here, except where there are more than two significant digits. Yes I'm that hung-up on it.

Page 11 - Sensor Suites

Quite practical. One suggestion: instead of a flat table, a pair of multiplexed but simpler tables might be just as fast but more interesting.

Page 11 / 12 - Comms

Exact same comment as for Sensors -- which makes sense since Communicators could be classed as a kind of sensor.

Pages 12 - 16 - Weapons and Defenses

I don't prefer the TNE way of doing weapons, but that's neither here nor there. What I do not like is the strange division between "Civilian" and "Military" weapons. Once again this feels contrived, but in fact doesn't really feel like "Traveller". Maybe it's a TNE-ism.

Significant digits once again are a source of mild headache.

Page 17 - Equipment

These are always fun and appreciated. There of course are more items that can be added to the rather small list of 4 entries. Capture tanks. Barracks. And so on.

The grapples table looks a bit too busy to understand easily. It should probably be broken up, or else simplified.

Page 18 - Fuel Purifiers

Once again, the flat table is not really helping. Break it into a basic table and then have simple TL modifiers.

Page 19 - Power

Previous comments on numeric precision and TL modifications apply.

Pages 19 - 20 - Crew & Bridge

Overall OK. The problem with workstations is that they don't show up in the Ship Description form. Why bother with them then?

Ah, because they define the bridge. Well why didn't you say so?

I think the bridge rules are fine.

Page 21 - Quarters, Cargo Space, Calculations

Quarters seem fine, although I think anything which requires 0.0005 MW power should round down to zero and just run off of batteries.

Attachments

• qsds15e.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 14
oh sure...You bloody engineers round down the power to the quarters and the water pressure in the fresher is non-existent and the reading lights can't quite overcome the switch resistance so they just give a dull flicker and it takes half an hour for the room lights to come on after ship's dawn. The local auxillery outlets lack the voltage to charge personal data pads. You can kill your personal computer if you don't use an adaptor, even though the socket's compatible. The lounge fridges only get down to around 15 degrees C and the lounge boiler can't boil water in under an hour. Just round it down you say? Bollocks!

:)

And there's another entry for 77 Patrons

oh sure...You bloody engineers round down the power to the quarters and the water pressure in the fresher is non-existent and the reading lights can't quite overcome the switch resistance so they just give a dull flicker and it takes half an hour for the room lights to come on after ship's dawn. The local auxillery outlets lack the voltage to charge personal data pads. You can kill your personal computer if you don't use an adaptor, even though the socket's compatible. The lounge fridges only get down to around 15 degrees C and the lounge boiler can't boil water in under an hour. Just round it down you say? Bollocks!

:)

Someone remind me to turn THAT particular rant into part of another entry for 77 Patrons.

An Entry for 77 Patrons

Patron Encounter

"A Fistful of Dandelions"

Ship skills required.
Ship required.

Sir Kapam Lukhu, undersecretary to the ambassador to the Hyoeclhhoco Llellewyloly colony, is in a bind. An incident involving the Llellewyloly Sunward Council, the Risek human government, and a group of Dandelion engineering students, resulted in the expulsion of said group back to the homeworld for sentencing and service of said sentence.

Kapam has the responsibility of booking passage for these miscreants and making sure they get home. He proposes to charter the player characters' ship: paying for all staterooms, fuel, cargo hold space, and sundries, including the characters', for the number of jumps required to reach Junidy, plus Cr10,000 per person.

Referee's Information

The criminals are six young Engineers: Llellewyloly who are almost adults, and have partially completed a term in engineering school. They are nonviolent and mostly cooperative, though the player characters will have to get used to the cultural behaviors that all Dandelions have.

1. All is as written.

2. Only five Engineers show up for deportation: the sixth has gone on the run, and the player characters are enlisted to help find it.

3. The Engineers show up, board, and settle in. Some time afterwards, the Engineers perform what they assume were system optimizations. As a result, water pressure in the freshers is nonexistent; Reading lights can't quite overcome their own switch resistance, so they just give a dull flicker; It takes about two space combat rounds for the room lights to come on after ship's dawn; The local auxiliary outlets lack the current to charge personal datapads or other small appliances, and personal computers require an additional transformer, even though the sockets are compatible; The lounge refrigerators don't get colder than 15 C, not really sufficient for long-term food storage; The lounge boiler, on the other hand, takes three space combat turns to boil water. If pressed, the Engineers may claim that they "may have rounded some values down a bit".

4. Two of the Engineers will attempt to escape if the ship lands at a world with low gravity.

5. One of the Engineers confides that the group are being sold into slavery, and that they have been threatened not to tell the player characters about this.

6. One of the Engineers is quite skilled for a beginner, and asks to serve its sentence out as a crew-member aboard the ship.
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
[/FONT]

There was a Star Trek Tech Support Group thread at one point on rpg.net that was an absolute goldmine. Picard keeps insisting there are four lights needing replaced in his bathroom.

Back