• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

refuel qualification

flykiller

SOC-14 5K
jupiterp_cassini_c1.jpg

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap031114.html

She strode the corridor and around the corner onto the ship's bridge. Most of the lights were dimmed and the sight outside the view screen filled the space - a gas giant, very close from orbit, the far horizon utterly flat and very high, the near horizon a maze of vast plumes and abysal troughs of many-colored gasses tossed up against the titanic gravity by the endless storms, each peak and trough accompanied by the navigation system's vector data, a wild tempest that offered fuel and threatened disaster. So many hues, this one was mostly blue. Even after three decades of this she slowed at the familiar sight of the new world, passing her eyes across the wide panorama, awestruck again at the beauty and hesitating again at the threat.

The Weapons, Flight Control, and Comms stations were not manned, but the other operators busily finished preparations. The Engineering Senior Chief was directing fuel transfer to distal tanks to minimize incoming fuel transit, the Damage Control Coordinator beside him was lining up teams to deal with any equipment failures. The Operations Chief was taking a large number of reports of stations securing. The Navigator was attempting to plot a safe course through the storm, a little overwhelmed, her eyes flying over the data streams presented by the ship's computer navigation systems and the vector plots of each peak and trough and wavefront, looking for the intuitively obvious path of least danger.

The Pilot glanced back at her, up and down, able to leave off his course track for just a moment, perhaps showing off. Gray eyes. Confident of himself, not sure of her but obviously thinking of a dinner date with her some time soon. Turning back to his course track he clearly saw it as a formidable challenge. Good attitude.

She stopped at the formal line. "Permission to enter the bridge."

The Captain glanced up at her from his incoming data streams. "Permission granted, welcome Lady Lora Lei and thank you again for making your experience available, I believe we're almost ready for this training qualification session." A pleasant and smiling farm boy who had risen to captain, he usually looked as if he were considering which herd needed culling first.

"Thank you Captain." Lora stood formally alongside him at his overlooking seat, gazing out the viewscreen at the thousands of miles of horizon and the ten thousand meter front elevations. "It makes you wonder what we are."

He smiled. "Well let's try not to be dead." Like he was talking about getting the harvest in.

After a second Lora smiled too. "Yes Captain. Permission to take the con."

"Engineering, DC, Ops, report." They all sang back ready. "Granted."

Lora stepped down into the bridge pit behind the Navigator. "Lieutenant Hanford, I'll be taking your station."

The Lieutenant looked back at her. "Lady. I'm afraid I don't have much for the run, I can't plot a course through all this."

Lora leaned over the panel to study the standing plot. She noticed the Pilot glancing at her outline, and could tell that Hanford was jealous of him over her. She ran her finger across the track. "The baseline is good, better than what I've sometimes seen, I can say it is acceptable."

"But it's not enough," Hanford added.

"That's how it goes sometimes, and it'll have to do, and you've done well," Lora said, smiling at Hanford and indicating the panel. Hanford unstrapped and slid out of the seat and Lora took her place, strapping in. "Computer, configure Navigation panel to Instructor Lora Lei."

The indicators slewed around. "Configured," the machine sang back.

"I have the panel."

"You have the panel." The Lieutenant moved back to a spare bridge seat and started strapping herself in, staring at the Pilot.

"Lieutenant Collins," Lora nodded to the Pilot. "Show me your intended flight path and all hull and intake pressures please."

"Lady." Collins tapped over the data. "Two minute validity."

"A lifetime. And just 'ma'am' for now, single syllable."

"Yes ma'am." She scanned the data for any obvious errors.

Lora pointed at a data confluence - two fronts approaching, pressures running high. "You have confidence in this?"

"Should I not?"

"Call."

"No I do not, but I don't have anything better ma'am."

"Good answer. If it fails?"

"Gain alt, or push through," he pointed, "here."

"Good answer, except see the top?" The front leaned forward rather than back, rising would double pressures.

He frowned. "Re-plot?"

"No, you'll do that all day long. Decel and bank."

He did the calcs in his head and nodded. "Understood, ma'am. But that's close." He was beginning to respect her.

"Begin when ready."

Collin's eyes ran over the data again. "Permission to commence run," he sang out.

"Commence run," the Captain sang back, and announced, "All hands, commencing fuel run."

Collins pitched the boat down, 5 degrees. Lora watched his body language, what little of it there was. Uncomfortable, professional, ready. Good. The horizon lifted, pulled in, washed over, viewscreen hazed out ....

A blindingly bright flash, not display but actual, lit up the entire viewscreen and bridge. Everyone jerked, the Senior Chief swore. He and the Damage Control Coordinator scanned their panels.

"Lightning. No issues."

... sensors blanked out. The pressure profiles displayed, green, rising, fading to yellow, the fuel intake data prominent. The viewscreen sparkled at the edges.

Collins was descending cautiously, and she could tell he was trying to watch all the data. "Sooner is better, focus on the bow and scan only for sanity, bring it to .9 for margin. If there's a problem DC will see it before you do."

"Copy." Collins took a few degrees to port to follow track and pitched the bow a half degree. The numbers climbed more rapidly than she anticipated and he slowly leveled. .88, on target, eased to .90, on spec, intake was at .80, on spec.

"Processing reports inflow," the Senior Chief reported.

"Very well," the Captain responded.

Collins pulled a few degrees to starboard to follow track, flying blind. Lora watched his body language - stable - and the track variance - .01.

"Max inflow," the Senior Chief reported.

"Very well."

The Senior Chief hesitated. The Captain looked at him. "Minor leak reported in starboard intake," the Senior Chief reported.

"Response team in place and acting," the Damage Control Coordinator reported.

"Very well. Senior Chief, what was the reason for your hesitation."

"I was waiting for a characterization of the leak sir."

"Understood. Do not delay a report again."

"Yes sir."

"Damage Control reports leak sealed, recirc recovery in effect, no hazard, no injuries," the Damage Control Coordinator said.

"Intake volume reduced by .05" the Senior Chief added.

"Very well."

Last edited:
Lora glanced over the pressures and intakes as Collins did the same. "Increased track excession," Collins said. He was handling the strain well. She saw him glance at the track variance - .05 now.

"So will you increase intake?" Lora asked Collins. "You can increase depth and thus increase intake static pressure, or accel and increase intake dynamic ...."

He interrupted her. "No ma'am. Intake is in progress, recommend maintaining safety margin Captain."

"Maintain profile," the Captain directed.

Lora smiled.

Track variance at .10, .15, .20, internal gravity was beginning to shift to accomodate the ship's vector changes. Hull pressures varied between .85 and .95, and the predicted front confluence was near.

"Plow on through ma'am?" Collins asked Lora.

"Respond to conditions."

"But sensors are blanked."

"Turn down your station's grav compensation, feel what the boat is doing."

"Are sensors inadequate?" He dialed down the vector control for his station and shifted in his seat. A pen came out his pocket and floated in front of him before falling to the deck.

"Not if you intuit what they represent."

He shifted again and scanned the data. "Easing to port and elevating."

"Concur."

He pulled a few degrees. Pressures elevated. He eased vector and pitched down. Pressures elevated again. He pitched up.

Pressures elevated again. "Warning. Hull pressure high," the computer announced.

"Downdraft," Collins said. Tbe ship lurched hard enough to overcome its internal compensation and jerk everyone aboard, Collins came up hard against his straps but managed to keep control of his board.

"Intake off-line. Leak starboard intake," the Senior Chief reported.

"Portuguese 90," Lora said.

Collins randomly executed the 90 degree maneuver to port. "Off-track."

"Off-downdraft." Lora responded.

"Leak report in error," the Senior Chief reported.

"Casualties in the galley," the Operations Chief reported.

"Hull pressure within limits," the computer announced. The hull pressure data was stabilizing at .85.

"Verify report in error," the Captain said. "Pilot, how long are we stable?"

Lora pointed to the data tracks. Collins answered, "Three minutes, maybe four, sir." Lora nodded to concur.

"Medical respond to galley," the Captain ordered. The Damage Control Coordinator acknowledged.

"Intake restored. Leak report based on auditory not visual observation," the Senior Chief reported.

"Very well. Pilot what is our flight status?"

"Off-track sir. Conditions unknown."

"Refueling .90 complete, sir," the Senior Chief volunteered.

"Very well. Pilot, finish refueling run then pull us up."

"Yes sir." Lora looked at Collins - she could tell he had a strained neck muscle. She raised her eyebrows at him, and he started to nod but instead gave a thumbs-up. After a moment Lora glanced back at Hanford, she was watching Collins very closely. Collins restored his station's grav compensation.

The remainder proved largely uneventful, the track seemed to be parallel behind a front and was wide enough for the run to be completed. The casualty in the galley turned out to be a laceration caused by a smashed coffee cup. At 1.0 fuel Collins pulled the boat up and breached the horizon, and sensors came back online.

Lora's panel blinked, she focused hard. "Incoming, rock, 129," She slapped the data to Collin's panel before she could finish, while he was already maneuvering to a perpendicular evasion pre-plan. He caught the data, and instinctively rotated the boat. The ship lost vector and drifted back partially into the gas giant atmosphere. They waited as the ship pulled up again.

"No impact," the Damage Control Coordinator reported momentarily. "Looks like it missed."

"Well good," said the Captain. "Navigation, any other threats?" Hanford had moved up behind Collins and had her hand on his shoulder, but was looking at the nav panel with Lora. "No threats in view, Captain," Lora reported.

"Very well. Lieutenant Collins, very well done twice over. Set us a course for 100d, and Operations let's secure from this run and rotate the bridge crew out."

"Yes sir." "Yes sir."

Hanford looked at Lora. Lora simply plotted the simple course and passed it to Collins, who stiffly executed it. Hanford stood behind him, her hands touching his neck.

Soon the next bridge team showed up and took the watch. Collins stood stiffly, said, "By your leave Lady," and the Lieutenants walked out together. Lora passed over the panel and stood to the Captain.

"My compliments Lady Lei, is my pilot qualified?" He said it like a farmer standing in front of his prize-winning horse, knowing the answer.

"Yes, I'll sign. He has talent and whoever started him at Academy did an excellent job of bringing it out."

"As did you." Matter of factly. "And thank you again."

"A joy, and a pleasure to be in the front seat. Captain."

"Lady."

She strode off the bridge.

WhiteOval_Juno_640.jpg

Last edited:
Tense, Dramatic, and Exciting

Thanx Flykiller!!

I really enjoyed the read. I myself was straining and anxious to pass the certification.

Some teeth clenching!

Back